    PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Sep 30, 2005

  2. Kenny

    Nikonja Guest

    On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:41 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    > Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors on
    > it:
    > CPU_FAN - connected
    > NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
    > SYS_FAN - ?
    > Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
    > Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU via
    > standard Molex connector.
    > PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

    Thats where you connect your case fan if you want to control the speed in
    some software, otherwise you can leave it connected on your psu, it doesn't
    make no diference to your pc !

    Nikonja, Sep 30, 2005

  3. "Nikonja" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 22:53:41 +0100, Kenny wrote:
    >
    >> Just installed new Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 m/b. It has 3 fan connectors on
    >> it:
    >> CPU_FAN - connected
    >> NB_FAN (chipset) - connected
    >> SYS_FAN - ?
    >> Don't know what this is and m/b manual just says it should be connected.
    >> Does it mean a case fan? If so I have a case fan which connects to PSU
    >> via
    >> standard Molex connector.
    >> PC appears to be working OK, have checked temps. and voltages etc.

    > Thats where you connect your case fan if you want to control the speed in
    > some software, otherwise you can leave it connected on your psu, it
    > doesn't
    > make no diference to your pc !

    Except the fact that if you connect it to the system Fan connector on the
    motherboard you can monitor it and find out when its stopped working and
    needs replacement.

    Gregory Kleverlaan, Sep 30, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
    that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
    grey?

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, Oct 1, 2005
  5. Kenny

    Nikonja Guest

    On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:

    > Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
    > that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
    > grey?

    Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
    don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

    Nikonja, Oct 1, 2005
  6. Kenny

    Ian Guest

    Kenny wrote:
    > Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
    > that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
    > grey?

    Nope. Gigabyte just tend to ship pretty yellow (ish) ribbons cables.
    They work fine with ATA133.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0539-3, 30/09/2005
    Tested on: 01/10/2005 23:20:01

    Ian, Oct 1, 2005
  7. Kenny

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Nikonja
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
    >> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
    >> grey?

    >Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
    >don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

    Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
    type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
    PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.

    *shrugs*

    --
    I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure.

    DevilsPGD, Oct 2, 2005
  8. Kenny

    Nikonja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

    > In message <> Nikonja
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 1 Oct 2005 13:08:28 +0100, Kenny wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks for the replies. Incidentally is there any significance in the fact
    >>> that the 40/80 IDE cable which came with m/b is yellow rather than the usual
    >>> grey?

    >>Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
    >>don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

    > Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
    > type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
    > PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
    >
    > *shrugs*

    That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
    cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
    ofcourse !

    Nikonja, Oct 2, 2005
  9. Kenny

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <> Nikonja
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> In message <> Nikonja
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>Why would colour be a problem ! And don't play with your hardware if you
    >>>don't know what are you doing, ask a friend to help you !

    >> Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
    >> type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
    >> PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
    >>
    >> *shrugs*

    >That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
    >cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
    >ofcourse !

    Sure, but the colour is sometimes significant. If there are 2 red ports
    and 2 black ports, typically it indicates different capabilities.

    It's just a colour, but things are often coloured for a reason.

    --
    SCIENTISTS COMPARE APPLES AND ORANGES FOR VITAMIN CONTENT
    "It's like comparing apples and oranges," says researcher

    DevilsPGD, Oct 3, 2005
  10. Kenny

    Nikonja Guest

    On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:17:38 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

    > In message <> Nikonja
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 00:46:45 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:

    >>> Colour is often used to indicate something specific with regards to the
    >>> type of port, especially when there are RAID and non-RAID enabled
    >>> PATA/SATA ports on the same motherboard.
    >>>
    >>> *shrugs*

    >>That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
    >>cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
    >>ofcourse !

    > Sure, but the colour is sometimes significant. If there are 2 red ports
    > and 2 black ports, typically it indicates different capabilities.
    >
    > It's just a colour, but things are often coloured for a reason.

    But not with the cables !!! The question was regarding colour of cables not
    colour of things on mobo !

    Nikonja, Oct 3, 2005
  11. Kenny

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <ivmroza45we8$> Nikonja
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 02 Oct 2005 23:17:38 -0600, DevilsPGD wrote:
    >
    >> In message <> Nikonja
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>That's only for you to see which port is which and there's no diference in
    >>>cable collour because it's yust a collour, if the cables are the same
    >>>ofcourse !

    >> Sure, but the colour is sometimes significant. If there are 2 red ports
    >> and 2 black ports, typically it indicates different capabilities.
    >>
    >> It's just a colour, but things are often coloured for a reason.

    >But not with the cables !!! The question was regarding colour of cables not
    >colour of things on mobo !

    Cables too can sometimes indicate something interesting. Mouse and
    keyboard PS/2 cables, for instance, are colour coded for a reason.

    I can't think of any industry standard examples where the wrong colour
    cable might make a difference, other then possibly ethernet (which isn't
    really a standard as far as I know -- but I always colour code my
    crossover cables if I end up wiring any for some reason)

    --
    Are you tired of having your hands cut off by snowblowers?

    DevilsPGD, Oct 4, 2005