What's the best AGP card....

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Bruce Morgen, Jan 31, 2010.

  1. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    .....that doesn't require a
    400+ watt power supply and/or
    its own Molex power connection
    to work? I'm fixing up an
    otherwise nice old Dell GX260
    minitower for my gamer elder
    son, and I'd like to avoid
    spending an extra $50+ putting
    a beefier PS in an old machine
    I nabbed for free -- but I will
    if that's the only way to get
    him his 3D gaming jollies.

    Thanks in advance!

    1. Advertising

  2. * Bruce Morgen:
    > ....that doesn't require a
    > 400+ watt power supply and/or
    > its own Molex power connection
    > to work? I'm fixing up an
    > otherwise nice old Dell GX260
    > minitower for my gamer elder
    > son, and I'd like to avoid
    > spending an extra $50+ putting
    > a beefier PS in an old machine
    > I nabbed for free -- but I will
    > if that's the only way to get
    > him his 3D gaming jollies.

    I wouldn't invest much moneey. The Optiplex GX260 is a very old and slow
    Pentium4 system, and the whole series suffered from bad capacitors that
    sooner or later lead to instabilities. And no matter what AGP card you
    put in, the bottleneck will always be the slow CPU.

    If I were you I'd look for a 2nd hand Geforce 6600GT/6800GT or Radeon
    9600/9800 which both should be a good fit for such an old system and
    able to run any older games adequate for a P4 system.

    Benjamin

    1. Advertising

  3. On 31-Jan-10 09:56, Bruce Morgen wrote:
    > ....that doesn't require a
    > 400+ watt power supply and/or
    > its own Molex power connection
    > to work? I'm fixing up an
    > otherwise nice old Dell GX260
    > minitower for my gamer elder
    > son, and I'd like to avoid
    > spending an extra $50+ putting
    > a beefier PS in an old machine
    > I nabbed for free -- but I will
    > if that's the only way to get
    > him his 3D gaming jollies.

    I once saw ATI Radeon 2400Pro being sold at HK$450!

    http://www.jumbo-computer.com/pricelist.asp

    Go the "VGA" page, and look for "AGP".

    --
    @~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
    /( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.7

  4. Bruce Morgen

    Bruce Morgen Guest

    Benjamin Gawert <> wrote:

    >* Bruce Morgen:
    >> ....that doesn't require a
    >> 400+ watt power supply and/or
    >> its own Molex power connection
    >> to work? I'm fixing up an
    >> otherwise nice old Dell GX260
    >> minitower for my gamer elder
    >> son, and I'd like to avoid
    >> spending an extra $50+ putting
    >> a beefier PS in an old machine
    >> I nabbed for free -- but I will
    >> if that's the only way to get
    >> him his 3D gaming jollies.

    >I wouldn't invest much moneey. The Optiplex GX260 is a very old and slow
    >Pentium4 system, and the whole series suffered from bad capacitors that
    >sooner or later lead to instabilities. And no matter what AGP card you
    >put in, the bottleneck will always be the slow CPU.
    >
    >If I were you I'd look for a 2nd hand Geforce 6600GT/6800GT or Radeon
    >9600/9800 which both should be a good fit for such an old system and
    >able to run any older games adequate for a P4 system.

    Thanks -- he doesn't expect to
    be able to play the latest and
    greatest games, but he does
    want some 3D capability that