    Thank you in advance

    Jomar
    , May 23, 2012

  2. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    > automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known problem?
    > If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?
    >
    > Thank you in advance
    >
    > Jomar

    It is by design.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 24, 2012

  3. jim Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:
    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > ...the application automatically re-opens the windows that were open
    > when I last quit the application.... Is this a known problem?
    > If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?
    >
    > Thank you in advance...
    >
    > Jomar

    Apple thinks it's a feature. Many think it's, at best, a nuisance.

    This may be the answer to your problem...

    "... To prevent windows from bringing their documents and windows
    back from the dead at launch time, uncheck ³Restore windows when
    quitting and re-opening apps² in the General preference pane."

    There's lots more information on the nuisance at
    <http://tidbits.com/article/13019>

    jim
    jim, May 24, 2012
  4. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    > automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known problem?
    > If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?

    Under System Preferences->General, just below "Number of recent items",
    there is a "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps". Uncheck
    that.

    leo
    Leonard Blaisdell, May 24, 2012
  5. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    > automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known
    > problem? If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?
    >
    > Thank you in advance

    It's not a problem, it's a "feature" of OS X Lion (and Mountain Lion).
    It's part of the Resum function, one of many annoying new additions to OS
    X. It will definitely be something I'll be wanting to turn off when I
    eventually upgrade my computer.

    I haven't got Lion to check, but according to the September issue of the
    UK MacFormat magazine, you can untick the option in the General panel of
    the System Preferences. You may also need to check each individual
    application's Preferences as well.

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 24, 2012
  6. In article
    <>,
    (Helpful Harry) wrote:

    > I haven't got Lion to check, but according to the September issue of the
    > UK MacFormat magazine, you can untick the option in the General panel of
    > the System Preferences. You may also need to check each individual
    > application's Preferences as well.

    Nope. That one uncheck in general preferences takes care of it for
    everything I have on my computer. Perhaps there's are apps that override
    it, but I don't run them.
    Initial shock and outrage are easily quelled by unchecking one box in
    preferences.
    I've also found that after bumbling along for a while, I actually like
    Lion.

    leo
    Leonard Blaisdell, May 24, 2012
  7. In article <>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    >> either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    >> automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    >> application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    >> applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known problem?
    >> If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?

    >Under System Preferences->General, just below "Number of recent items",
    >there is a "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps". Uncheck
    >that.

    Thanks much...
    Claude V. Lucas, May 24, 2012
  8. In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an
    > application, either from the dock or by double-clicking a document
    > icon, the application automatically re-opens the windows that were
    > open when I last quit the application. I could not find any place in
    > the "preferences" for the applications or the finder to change this
    > behavior.

    Since all the replies were "all or nothing" responses, note there are a
    number of ways to selectively turn this on or off this for given
    applications (e.g. the preference pane 'RestoreMeNot').

    --
    David J Richardson --
    http://davidj.richardson.name/ - Dr Who articles/interviews/reviews
    David J Richardson, May 24, 2012
  9. Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <jpl7lc$40b$>,
    (Claude V. Lucas) wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an
    > >> application,
    > >> either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the
    > >> application
    > >> automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > >> application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > >> applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known
    > >> problem?
    > >> If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?

    > >Under System Preferences->General, just below "Number of recent items",
    > >there is a "Restore windows when quitting and re-opening apps". Uncheck
    > >that.
    > >

    > Thanks much...

    Note: if you don't quit the application explicitly but exit by just
    logging out or shutting down, the application in question will open all
    its windows at the next restart. This is the result of Apple's "sudden
    termination" processing.

    --
    PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf
    of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy. -- Ambrose Bierce
    Tom Stiller, May 24, 2012
  10. In article <>,
    Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:

    > > I haven't got Lion to check, but according to the September issue of
    > > the UK MacFormat magazine, you can untick the option in the General
    > > panel of the System Preferences. You may also need to check each
    > > individual application's Preferences as well.

    > Nope. That one uncheck in general preferences takes care of it for
    > everything I have on my computer. Perhaps there's are apps that override
    > it, but I don't run them.

    I have that box unchecked, but Numbers, Pages, and TextEdit all reopen the
    documents that were open when I quit the apps. When quitting the apps,
    they don't even ask me to save the document. (But if I close a window, it
    does ask.)

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 24, 2012
  11. JF Mezei Guest

    wrote:

    > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application, either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known problem?

    Yes, it is a known problem and it won't get fixed because Apple wants it
    this way, one of the many reasons I am not adopting Lion and am stuck as
    Snow Leopard.
    JF Mezei, May 24, 2012
  12. John Young Guest

    In article <-september.org>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > > either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    > > automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > > application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > > applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known
    > > problem?
    > > If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance
    > >
    > > Jomar

    > It is by design.

    I have always disliked this feature. Like many have said unchecking
    restore windows in System Preferences/General is not a complete
    solution. Someone (not me) mentioned earlier in this thread
    "RestoreMeNot". I just installed it and the Apps that were annoying me
    most are not annoying me any longer. Thanks to whom ever suggested
    RestoreMeNot! Works a treat for me!

    English has always been a challenge to me! Please forgive my bad grammar.
    I do try.
    John Young, May 24, 2012
  13. John Young Guest

    In article <>,
    Jolly Roger <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an application,
    > > either from the dock or by double-clicking a document icon, the application
    > > automatically re-opens the windows that were open when I last quit the
    > > application. I could not find any place in the "preferences" for the
    > > applications or the finder to change this behavior. Is this a known
    > > problem?
    > > If so, what is the solution or where can I find it?
    > >
    > > Thank you in advance
    > >
    > > Jomar

    > Try clearing this checkbox:
    >
    > /Applications/System Preferences ? General > Restore windows when
    > quitting and re-opening apps

    JR for me it was a partial fix at best. RestoreMeNot works great for me.

    John Young, May 24, 2012
  14. Király Guest

    jim <> wrote:
    > Apple thinks it's a feature. Many think it's, at best, a nuisance.

    I don't understand who would ever want this in the first place. If I had
    wanted all of an app's windows to re-open upon relaunching of the app, I
    wouldn't have quit the app in the first place. I would have just hidden
    it.

    --
    K.

    Lang may your lum reek.
    Király, May 25, 2012
  15. In article <jpojdm$n07$>,
    (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Kir=E1ly?=) wrote:
    > jim <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Apple thinks it's a feature. Many think it's, at best, a nuisance.

    > I don't understand who would ever want this in the first place. If I had
    > wanted all of an app's windows to re-open upon relaunching of the app, I
    > wouldn't have quit the app in the first place. I would have just hidden
    > it.

    I too would find it an annoying nuisance, but technically it is just an
    extension of what the Finder has been doing for years - re-opening windows
    that were not closed when the computer was shutdown.

    At least it can be turned off, unlike the other similar annoying option
    which you actually have to specify in the window every time you shutdown
    the computer (although there are thrid-party hacks around that).

    Helpful Harry :eek:)
    Helpful Harry, May 25, 2012
  16. Bread Guest

    On 2012-05-25 18:35:34 +0000, Király said:

    > jim <> wrote:
    >> Apple thinks it's a feature. Many think it's, at best, a nuisance.

    > I don't understand who would ever want this in the first place. If I had
    > wanted all of an app's windows to re-open upon relaunching of the app, I
    > wouldn't have quit the app in the first place. I would have just hidden
    > it.

    I like it in one and only one app - my web browser.

    I dispise it in things like Numbers and Pages.

    I also hate that under Lion, Numbers and Pages don't ask me if I want
    to save my work before quitting. I know - they are "autosaving" but
    that's not the same as explicitly doing "Save a Version". I'm still
    not too happy with the autosave/versions thing. Often when I open a
    file and edit it, I *don't* want the changes saved. (Nevertheless, I
    see the value and am trying to train myself in a different workflow so
    I'm working *with* autosave/versions rather than fighting it).
    Bread, May 26, 2012
  17. Bread Guest

    On 2012-05-24 14:29:31 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

    > In article <>,
    > Leonard Blaisdell <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I haven't got Lion to check, but according to the September issue of
    >>> the UK MacFormat magazine, you can untick the option in the General
    >>> panel of the System Preferences. You may also need to check each
    >>> individual application's Preferences as well.

    >> Nope. That one uncheck in general preferences takes care of it for
    >> everything I have on my computer. Perhaps there's are apps that override
    >> it, but I don't run them.

    > I have that box unchecked, but Numbers, Pages, and TextEdit all reopen the
    > documents that were open when I quit the apps. When quitting the apps,
    > they don't even ask me to save the document. (But if I close a window, it
    > does ask.)

    You sure about that? I just quit and restarted Numbers and it did
    *not* re-open the document I'd left open.

    (I, too, have the box unchecked).

    And the document in question was "edited" but not "saved".

    After restarting Numbers, there were no documents open. The document
    I'd left open was the top in the list of recent documents, though. And
    when I opened it, the document did *not* indicate "edited". I compared
    it, though, to the version history and it did show the last change I'd
    made but not saved explicitly. (I just did an explicit "save a
    version" to make sure that the change is in there, especially for when
    I next open the document on another, non-Lion machine).
    Bread, May 26, 2012
  18. Bread Guest

    On 2012-05-24 18:40:36 +0000, JF Mezei said:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> Since I upgraded two computers to 10.7.4 every time I start an
    >> application, either from the dock or by double-clicking a document
    >> icon, the application automatically re-opens the windows that were open
    >> when I last quit the application. I could not find any place in the
    >> "preferences" for the applications or the finder to change this
    >> behavior. Is this a known problem?

    > Yes, it is a known problem and it won't get fixed because Apple wants it
    > this way, one of the many reasons I am not adopting Lion and am stuck as
    > Snow Leopard.

    Overreact much?

    It's just a matter of unchecking a box in general preferences.

    There are certainly some problems with Lion, but it's hard to paint
    this as one, since it's simply an option.
    Bread, May 26, 2012
  19. In article <jpp3e1$p17$>,
    Bread <> wrote:

    > > I have that box unchecked, but Numbers, Pages, and TextEdit all reopen
    > > the documents that were open when I quit the apps. When quitting the
    > > apps, they don't even ask me to save the document. (But if I close a
    > > window, it does ask.)

    > You sure about that? I just quit and restarted Numbers and it did *not*
    > re-open the document I'd left open.

    Yes. After making sure no windows were open, I quit Numbers, then ran it
    again. I typed the number four in cell A2 and quit the app. I was not
    prompted to save the document. I then ran Numbers again, and the document
    had "4" in cell A2.

    I had similar results with Pages and TextEdit. "Restore windows when
    quitting and re-opening apps" is not checked.

    --
    Tea Party Patriots is to Patriotism as
    Michelle Steiner, May 26, 2012
  20. Bread Guest

    On 2012-05-25 23:18:22 +0000, Michelle Steiner said:

    > In article <jpp3e1$p17$>,
    > Bread <> wrote:
    >
    >>> I have that box unchecked, but Numbers, Pages, and TextEdit all reopen
    >>> the documents that were open when I quit the apps. When quitting the
    >>> apps, they don't even ask me to save the document. (But if I close a
    >>> window, it does ask.)

    >> You sure about that? I just quit and restarted Numbers and it did *not*
    >> re-open the document I'd left open.

    > Yes. After making sure no windows were open, I quit Numbers, then ran it
    > again. I typed the number four in cell A2 and quit the app. I was not
    > prompted to save the document. I then ran Numbers again, and the document
    > had "4" in cell A2.

    That's because that document had not yet been explicitly saved.

    Do the same thing again after saving the file somewhere.

    I'd much prefer that Numbers would instead stop the Quit and say "Hey -
    you haven't saved this!" but since there is no such "you haven't saved
    this" warning under Lion anymore (due to autosave/versions), how else
    would it get that unsaved document back for you?
    Bread, May 26, 2012