When are Finder hidden files created ?

Discussion in 'Apple' started by JF Mezei, May 10, 2010.

  1. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Had a scary episode which rendered my GPS inoperative.

    Plugged the GPS into my Mac, set it to USB-disk mode, resulting in tge
    Mac mouting the FAT disk in the GPS' micro SD card. Got to see the
    various .GPX files as well as the map database file.

    However, the GPS would no longer reboot after that. Had to remove the
    card for it to reboot properly.

    Turns out it doesn't like some of the files/directories that get created
    by the Mac (.Trashes ._Trashes, .Spotlight and others).

    I was able to insert the SD card into the GPS and remount it, and use
    command line to remove all those hidden files, and then used the finder
    to dismount the disk (just trag it to the trash) and then the GPS
    rebooted fine.

    At what point does the Mac created all those hidden files/Directories ?
    First time the FINDER opens the disk ? As the disk is mounted ? or when
    the disk is first modified ?

    Is there a way to tell the Mac to never create those files for FAT disks?

    1. Advertising

  2. nospam

    nospam Guest

    In article <4be75d98$0$1507$>, JF Mezei
    <> wrote:

    > Had a scary episode which rendered my GPS inoperative.
    >
    > Plugged the GPS into my Mac, set it to USB-disk mode, resulting in tge
    > Mac mouting the FAT disk in the GPS' micro SD card. Got to see the
    > various .GPX files as well as the map database file.
    >
    > However, the GPS would no longer reboot after that. Had to remove the
    > card for it to reboot properly.
    >
    > Turns out it doesn't like some of the files/directories that get created
    > by the Mac (.Trashes ._Trashes, .Spotlight and others).

    figures. report a bug that finder rendered your gps inoperative.

    polluting non-mac file systems with dot files is incredibly stupid and
    should not be done. i've heard of it rendering cameras inoperative and
    now gps devices. seriously, report it as a bug to apple. maybe one more
    report will be enough to get them to fix it, but i doubt it.

    > I was able to insert the SD card into the GPS and remount it, and use
    > command line to remove all those hidden files, and then used the finder
    > to dismount the disk (just trag it to the trash) and then the GPS
    > rebooted fine.

    good.

    > At what point does the Mac created all those hidden files/Directories ?
    > First time the FINDER opens the disk ? As the disk is mounted ? or when
    > the disk is first modified ?

    i think it's when finder sees a new volume.

    > Is there a way to tell the Mac to never create those files for FAT disks?

    not that i'm aware. there's an option to not do it on network volumes
    though.

    it's obnoxious and as you've found out, potentially dangerous. at least
    you knew how to fix it. a typical user would not.

    1. Advertising

  3. On 2010-05-10 11:12:55 +1000, JF Mezei <> said:

    > Had a scary episode which rendered my GPS inoperative.
    >

    > Plugged the GPS into my Mac, set it to USB-disk mode, resulting in tge
    > Mac mouting the FAT disk in the GPS' micro SD card. Got to see the
    > various .GPX files as well as the map database file.
    >
    > However, the GPS would no longer reboot after that. Had to remove the
    > card for it to reboot properly.
    >
    > Turns out it doesn't like some of the files/directories that get created
    > by the Mac (.Trashes ._Trashes, .Spotlight and others).
    >
    > I was able to insert the SD card into the GPS and remount it, and use
    > command line to remove all those hidden files, and then used the finder
    > to dismount the disk (just trag it to the trash) and then the GPS
    > rebooted fine.
    >

    > At what point does the Mac created all those hidden files/Directories ?
    > First time the FINDER opens the disk ? As the disk is mounted ? or when
    > the disk is first modified ?
    >
    > Is there a way to tell the Mac to never create those files for FAT disks?

    Those files perpetually gave me the shits too. I was getting
    ".DS_Store" files magically appearing in my Eclipse projects and some
    inevitably found their way into deployment packages to cause various
    kinds of strange errors at deployment time.

    The problem was fixed in my case by switching to the Windows Eclipse
    platform for Java software development.

  4. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    JF Mezei wrote on May 10, 2010:

    > Had a scary episode which rendered my GPS inoperative.
    >

    > Plugged the GPS into my Mac, set it to USB-disk mode, resulting in tge
    > Mac mouting the FAT disk in the GPS' micro SD card. Got to see the
    > various .GPX files as well as the map database file.
    >
    > However, the GPS would no longer reboot after that. Had to remove the
    > card for it to reboot properly.
    >
    > Turns out it doesn't like some of the files/directories that get created
    > by the Mac (.Trashes ._Trashes, .Spotlight and others).
    >
    > I was able to insert the SD card into the GPS and remount it, and use
    > command line to remove all those hidden files, and then used the finder
    > to dismount the disk (just trag it to the trash) and then the GPS
    > rebooted fine.
    >

    > At what point does the Mac created all those hidden files/Directories ?
    > First time the FINDER opens the disk ? As the disk is mounted ? or when
    > the disk is first modified ?
    >
    > Is there a way to tell the Mac to never create those files for FAT disks?

    I had the same problem with my Garmin GPSmap76. Any attempt at reading files
    on the internal memory or the flash card crashed the gps unit (due to the
    hidden Mac files according to Garmin support).

    I've solved the problem with BlueHarvest
    http://www.zeroonetwenty.com/blueharvest/

    This very nice little app. will transparently delete all offending files from
    any non-Mac disks mounted. You can set it either to do this automatically (as
    I do) or manually if you wish. Problem solved! It's worth every penny or cent
    of the $16.95 license.

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire

  5. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    Jolly Roger wrote on May 10, 2010:

    > In article <>,
    > Mike Lane <> wrote:
    >
    >> I had the same problem with my Garmin GPSmap76. Any attempt at reading
    >> files
    >> on the internal memory or the flash card crashed the gps unit (due to the
    >> hidden Mac files according to Garmin support).

    > It seems ludicrous to me that it should be acceptable behavior for a
    > device to crash or malfunction simply because files it will never use
    > and shouldn't care about exist on the storage medium it uses!

    I agree, it's a bug in the Garmin unit. But since it exists one either has to
    discard the gps unit, or work around it.

    --
    Mike Lane
    UK North Yorkshire
    email: mike_lane at mac dot com

  6. Wes Groleau

    Wes Groleau Guest

    On 05-10-2010 10:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
    > doublePlusPaleo<> wrote:
    >> The problem was fixed in my case by switching to the Windows Eclipse
    >> platform for Java software development.

    > Talk about overkill. : ) All you needed to do was remove those files
    > from packages before deploying them.

    Or fix the design bug that causes your code to not ignore them.

    --
    Wes Groleau

    Gaffes Can Be Deceiving
    http://Ideas.Lang-Learn.us/WWW?itemid=610

  7. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    Mike Lane wrote:

    > I agree, it's a bug in the Garmin unit. But since it exists one either has to
    > discard the gps unit, or work around it.

    Does FAT 16 allow directories/files with weird names ?

    Those devices don't have a fancy file system and fancy software for
    filenames. So it is within the real of acceptable that they would choke
    when they are presented with filenames that they don't expect.

    The fact is that one should be able to mount a foreign file system
    without having the Finder put its junk all over it.

  8. On 2010-05-11 00:22:22 +1000, Jolly Roger <> said:

    >> Those files perpetually gave me the shits too. I was getting
    >> ".DS_Store" files magically appearing in my Eclipse projects and some
    >> inevitably found their way into deployment packages to cause various
    >> kinds of strange errors at deployment time.
    >>
    >> The problem was fixed in my case by switching to the Windows Eclipse
    >> platform for Java software development.

    > Talk about overkill. : ) All you needed to do was remove those files
    > from packages before deploying them.

    More anger than straight out overkill. It was just a matter of
    powering up my Windows development system and a minute or so to rsynch
    the projects over.

    I realized soon enough what the problem was, but not before I had cost
    actual money to have someone visit the test site.

    I was going to switch the development over to Windows anyway, because
    the next phase involved porting an object model to .NET.

  9. On 2010-05-11 07:53:06 +1000, Wes Groleau <> said:

    > On 05-10-2010 10:22, Jolly Roger wrote:
    >> doublePlusPaleo<> wrote:
    >>> The problem was fixed in my case by switching to the Windows Eclipse
    >>> platform for Java software development.

    >> Talk about overkill. : ) All you needed to do was remove those files
    >> from packages before deploying them.

    > Or fix the design bug that causes your code to not ignore them.

    Nothing to do with code design at all. Deployment tools are a different animal.

  10. Mike Lane

    Mike Lane Guest

    JF Mezei wrote on May 11, 2010:

    > Mike Lane wrote:
    >
    >> I agree, it's a bug in the Garmin unit. But since it exists one either
    >> has to discard the gps unit, or work around it.

    > Does FAT 16 allow directories/files with weird names ?
    >
    > Those devices don't have a fancy file system and fancy software for
    > filenames. So it is within the real of acceptable that they would choke
    > when they are presented with filenames that they don't expect.
    >
    > The fact is that one should be able to mount a foreign file system
    > without having the Finder put its junk all over it.

    Also in defence of Garmin I should say the unit in question is a fairly old
    design which first came out well before they claimed any compatibility with
    Mac systems