Where did the files go? (iTunes)

Discussion in 'Apple' started by DaveC, Apr 24, 2012.

  1. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    I dragged a dozen .m4a audio files from Finder into the main iTunes
    window. There appeared a small window with small progress bar and the
    file name currently being copied. Each of the file names appeared in
    the box as iTunes apparently worked its way through the list,
    copying(?) them.

    Then... nothing.

    I do not see the files anywhere. I typed the names in the search
    field in the upper right corner of the main window. No results.

    I do not see them listed in alphabetical order. Nor if I list by date
    (looking for today's date). They are not in any of the subfolders
    (pod casts, etc.).

    I trashed the 3 iTunes prefs files and restarted. No joy.

    I trashed iTunes and installed a copy downloaded from Apple. No joy.

    I rebooted and ran AppleJack (normally a weekly task). No joy.

    I hope it's something simple...

    Thanks,
    Dave
    --
    2011 Mac m

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012

  2. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    Sig got trimmed:

    2011 Mac mini 2.7 GHz i7 / 4 GB / 750 GB
    OS X 10.6.8 (yes, Snow Leopard)
    iTunes 10.6.1

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012

  3. DaveC

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-04-24 14:27:35 +0000, Jolly Roger said:

    > It sounds like the m4a files had incorrect or missing ID3 tag
    > information, which iTunes uses to display and categorize music in the
    > iTunes window. You can and should fix the ID3 tags within iTunes.

    Thinking along these lines: Import one of the files, sort by "date
    added" then look to see if there is a file imported within the last few
    minutes. Look at the id3 tags and if they're blank that confirms they
    need to be edited. If the id3 tags are blank usually iTunes will pull
    the file name in as is. So it might mean the file has blank characters
    filling these fields or some such.

    Anyway, right click on the file in iTunes and select "Show in Finder".
    That should verify that it is indeed the file with no tags.

    I use Media Rage to edit id3 tags on almost everything since I'm fussy
    about it. It's a great program.
    --
    I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
    with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

    gtr, Apr 24, 2012
  4. DaveC

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <-september.org>, DaveC
    <> wrote:

    > I dragged a dozen .m4a audio files from Finder into the main iTunes
    > window. There appeared a small window with small progress bar and the
    > file name currently being copied. Each of the file names appeared in
    > the box as iTunes apparently worked its way through the list,
    > copying(?) them.
    >
    > Then... nothing.
    >
    > I do not see the files anywhere. I typed the names in the search
    > field in the upper right corner of the main window. No results.
    >
    > I do not see them listed in alphabetical order. Nor if I list by date
    > (looking for today's date). They are not in any of the subfolders
    > (pod casts, etc.).

    this is not the first time i've heard of this bug.

    the first thing to try is create a smart playlist that is songs added
    within the last day (or however long is necessary) and see what comes
    up. if nothing comes up, itunes screwed up, again.

    it's also possible that the songs had something about them that itunes
    didn't like. itunes is very picky and it does not usually provide error
    messages to the user if something goes wrong, leaving users wondering
    wtf happened.

    another thing to try is create an empty itunes library and see what
    happens with those songs. the easiest way is with a new user but you
    can also hold down the option key to switch libraries with one option
    being make a new one. you can switch back after verifying the songs are
    good or bad.

    nospam, Apr 24, 2012
  5. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    > Typically it is at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Music
    > that you import into your iTunes library resides in this folder.

    Indeed the files are in this folder in Finder.

    They still do not exist anywhere in iTunes.

    > the first thing to try is create a smart playlist that is songs added
    > within the last day (or however long is necessary) and see what comes
    > up.

    The files do show up if I create such a smart playlist consisting of
    most-recently added files.

    When I changed the Media Kind (under the Options tab in the Cmd-I window)
    from Music to Podcast, when I again open that window the Type is still
    "Music". The tags are not changeable, apparently.

    I then selected "Create MP3 Version" from the Advanced menu and waited for
    all files to be converted.

    These newly-created versions of the files -- at first glance -- seem to
    behave normally: they show up in the Music window. But when I change the
    Media Kind tag, they disappear from the Music window (as expected) but do not
    appear in the Podcast directory or anywhere else in iTunes.

    > The names of the sub-folders may give you a
    > clue as to what information is in the ID3 tags of the music files, and
    > how you must correct them.

    I see no clues in the names or tags that might indicate how I might fix the
    problem.

    If I leave these tagged as "Music" I can probably sync them to the iPhone,
    but this tag issue keeps me from utilizing many feature of Syncing files to
    iPhone.

    Ideas?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012
  6. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    There seems to be a problem with the Podcasts directory, I think.

    The podcasts in that directory (which do not include the "missing" ones that
    have been giving me so much grief) are sorted by "Release Date".

    I can't sort by any other column head. I click on each of the column heads
    but no effect. I can reverse the "Relese Date" sort by clicking again on this
    head.

    Is this normal?

    Thanks,
    Dave

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012
  7. DaveC

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <-september.org>, DaveC
    <> wrote:

    > > Typically it is at ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music. Music
    > > that you import into your iTunes library resides in this folder.

    > Indeed the files are in this folder in Finder.

    if they're there, they got copied.

    > They still do not exist anywhere in iTunes.

    which contradicts what you say next...

    > > the first thing to try is create a smart playlist that is songs added
    > > within the last day (or however long is necessary) and see what comes
    > > up.

    > The files do show up if I create such a smart playlist consisting of
    > most-recently added files.

    ....that they do show up in itunes.

    cmd-shift-r to reveal in finder.

    how were these files created? did you download them? if so, from where?

    > When I changed the Media Kind (under the Options tab in the Cmd-I window)
    > from Music to Podcast, when I again open that window the Type is still
    > "Music". The tags are not changeable, apparently.

    yet another itunes bug. note that there was no error message. i've seen
    this before, and it's usually because the file is not writeable for
    some reason. you'd think itunes would tell you there was a problem
    changing the tags but no, it doesn't.

    > I then selected "Create MP3 Version" from the Advanced menu and waited for
    > all files to be converted.
    >
    > These newly-created versions of the files -- at first glance -- seem to
    > behave normally: they show up in the Music window. But when I change the
    > Media Kind tag, they disappear from the Music window (as expected) but do not
    > appear in the Podcast directory or anywhere else in iTunes.

    try creating an aac, although that's really overkill and doesn't
    address what the problem really is.

    nospam, Apr 24, 2012
  8. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    >> They still do not exist anywhere in iTunes.
    >
    > which contradicts what you say next...
    >
    >>> the first thing to try is create a smart playlist that is songs added
    >>> within the last day (or however long is necessary) and see what comes
    >>> up.

    >> The files do show up if I create such a smart playlist consisting of
    >> most-recently added files.

    > ...that they do show up in itunes.

    I should have said:
    These files do not show up in iTunes unless you create a Smart Playlist. Then
    they magically appear, even though they can't be found in any other directory
    in iTunes.

    > how were these files created? did you download them? if so, from where?

    Recorded from an audio stream using Audio Hijack.

    Thanks,
    Dave

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012
  9. DaveC

    nospam Guest

    In article
    <-september.org>, DaveC
    <> wrote:

    > These files do not show up in iTunes unless you create a Smart Playlist. Then
    > they magically appear, even though they can't be found in any other directory
    > in iTunes.

    if they show up in a smart playlist then itunes knows about them.

    nospam, Apr 24, 2012
  10. DaveC

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-04-24 16:47:29 +0000, nospam said:

    > In article
    > <-september.org>, DaveC
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> These files do not show up in iTunes unless you create a Smart Playlist. Then
    >> they magically appear, even though they can't be found in any other directory
    >> in iTunes.

    > if they show up in a smart playlist then itunes knows about them.

    And it displaying them in the parental "Music" display as well.

    Use File > New Playlist. Not a smart list, but a plain old playlist.
    Drag three m4a's into it. There they are. If you don't see any text
    where you'd like it to be, you can add it. But there are three
    somethings there.

    If you don't see three somethings there, I don't think your m4a's are
    m4a's. Click on in the original directory and do a Apple-i on it and
    tell us what it says its "Kind" is.

    But I assume you'll see three somethings. Then go to "Music" in
    library. Use Apple-J and add "Date Added". Click on that header to
    sort it. There at the top of your library you will find the same three
    files.

    gtr, Apr 24, 2012
  11. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    >> The files do show up if I create such a smart playlist consisting of
    >> most-recently added files.
    >>
    >> When I changed the Media Kind (under the Options tab in the Cmd-I window)
    >> from Music to Podcast, when I again open that window the Type is still
    >> "Music". The tags are not changeable, apparently.

    > How exactly is that apparent?

    Change Media Type to "Podcast", but when I open that Cmd-I window again and
    check, it's been changed back to "Music". By this I presume that these tags
    are not changeable (or "rubber-band"-like? "boomerang"?).

    > Do the tags have any information in them at all?

    If you are asking if there is any information in the fields in the "Info" tab
    in the Cmd-I window for one of the files, only the Name field is used; the
    others are blank.

    >> I then selected "Create MP3 Version" from the Advanced menu and waited for
    >> all files to be converted.
    >>
    >> These newly-created versions of the files -- at first glance -- seem to
    >> behave normally: they show up in the Music window.

    > And can you edit the ID3 tags when they appear in the Music view?

    Yes.

    >> But when I change the
    >> Media Kind tag, they disappear from the Music window (as expected) but do
    >> not appear in the Podcast directory or anywhere else in iTunes.

    > Seems strange, but depending on the format, that media kind setting may
    > or may not be applied correctly. That iTunes doesn't caution you about
    > that is a bad thing, obviously.

    Another data point: I added files of this same format (m4a) from this same
    source (Audio Hijack) a year ago. These are in iTunes and appear normally
    (show under the main Music directory).

    Another another data point: I copied a few of these original m4a files to
    another Mac on my LAN. That Mac has the same version OS X and iTunes as my
    main Mac. On the 2nd Mac, when I dragged & dropped these files onto iTunes,
    the files show up in the main Music directory.

    Now I'm really stumped...

    DaveC, Apr 24, 2012
  12. DaveC

    DaveC Guest

    > While name is technically enough, having the rest blank may make it
    > harder than necessary to find your stuff in iTunes, since iTunes
    > displays music based on those tags.

    That may excuse iTunes developers if I can't find files via the search
    function (Find field, upper right corner), but not for not placing them in
    the Music directory (a default location, I say!). *Somewhere*, *anywhere*
    that one can look and find it without need to create a new directory or
    Playlist just to locate added files.

    >> Another another data point: I copied a few of these original m4a files to
    >> another Mac on my LAN. That Mac has the same version OS X and iTunes as my
    >> main Mac. On the 2nd Mac, when I dragged & dropped these files onto iTunes,
    >> the files show up in the main Music directory.
    >>
    >> Now I'm really stumped...

    > Same version of iTunes?

    Yes: iTunes 10.6.1 on both machines.

    Dave

    DaveC, Apr 25, 2012
  13. DaveC

    Bread Guest

    On 2012-04-24 16:39:06 +0000, DaveC said:

    >> how were these files created? did you download them? if so, from where?

    > Recorded from an audio stream using Audio Hijack.

    That explains almost everything. They have no ID3 tags. iTunes
    organizes by ID3 tag, not by filename. Make sure that Audio Hijak adds
    some tags (or use a third-party tool to do so before shoving them into
    iTunes).

    Bread, Apr 28, 2012
  14. DaveC

    gtr Guest

    On 2012-04-28 18:17:59 +0000, Bread said:

    > On 2012-04-24 16:39:06 +0000, DaveC said:
    >>
    >>> how were these files created? did you download them? if so, from where?

    >> Recorded from an audio stream using Audio Hijack.

    > That explains almost everything. They have no ID3 tags. iTunes
    > organizes by ID3 tag, not by filename. Make sure that Audio Hijak adds
    > some tags (or use a third-party tool to do so before shoving them into
    > iTunes).

    iTunes will usually pull the file name in as a title if there is
    nothing present in the id3's.

    gtr, Apr 28, 2012
  15. gtr <> wrote:

    > >> Recorded from an audio stream using Audio Hijack.

    > > That explains almost everything. They have no ID3 tags. iTunes
    > > organizes by ID3 tag, not by filename. Make sure that Audio Hijak adds
    > > some tags (or use a third-party tool to do so before shoving them into
    > > iTunes).

    > iTunes will usually pull the file name in as a title if there is
    > nothing present in the id3's.

    Aye, I've never had this problem.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2012
  16. DaveC

    AV3 Guest

    On Apr/28/2012 7:1705 PM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > gtr<> wrote:

    >>> That explains almost everything. They have no ID3 tags. iTunes
    >>> organizes by ID3 tag, not by filename. Make sure that Audio Hijak adds
    >>> some tags (or use a third-party tool to do so before shoving them into
    >>> iTunes).

    >> iTunes will usually pull the file name in as a title if there is
    >> nothing present in the id3's.

    > Aye, I've never had this problem.

    Nor have I, and I have filled my iTunes with dragged and dropped
    ..mp3-files downloaded from internet sites, files converted to Apple
    Lossless (.m4a) by Max, and thousands of tracks imported from
    commercial CD's.

    Maybe Audio Hijack messes up identification or needs to be set to
    identify in the prescribed manner. Have you checked out this problem
    with your particular iTunes version in iTunes forums? your particular
    version of Audio Hijack in Audio Hijack forums?

    --
    ++====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====+====+=====+=====+=====+=====+====++
    ||Arnold VICTOR, New York City, i. e., <> ||

    AV3, Apr 29, 2012
  17. AV3 <> wrote:

    > On Apr/28/2012 7:1705 PM, Jamie Kahn Genet wrote:
    > > gtr<> wrote:

    > >> iTunes will usually pull the file name in as a title if there is
    > >> nothing present in the id3's.

    > > Aye, I've never had this problem.

    > Nor have I, and I have filled my iTunes with dragged and dropped
    > .mp3-files downloaded from internet sites, files converted to Apple
    > Lossless (.m4a) by Max, and thousands of tracks imported from
    > commercial CD's.
    >

    > Maybe Audio Hijack messes up identification or needs to be set to
    > identify in the prescribed manner. Have you checked out this problem
    > with your particular iTunes version in iTunes forums? your particular
    > version of Audio Hijack in Audio Hijack forums?

    My Mum uses the similar WireTap Studio
    <http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/wiretap/> for this and has had no
    problems importing its files into iTunes.

    Jamie Kahn Genet, Apr 29, 2012