    friendly.)

    Thanks,

    Al

    ANC, Mar 31, 2006

  2. ANC

    dr news Guest

    Try ebay for a start, and click that your looking for "lots." If your
    looking for working laptops, 600? anything, your not going to find them for
    $100. If your looking for ones that don't work, then you have a prayer.
    Maybe $150-$250 each working, but probably no o/s.

    Lots of T series for under $100? I don't think so either. Maybe $300-$400
    each working in lots. Maybe an o/s.

    Why you ask: a cheap replacement battery is $50, $25 for an integrated CD,
    more if dvd/rw; the power cord; $10. In parts alone, that would be $85 even
    if the laptop itself didn't work. If you find these in lots for under $100
    working, you should tell us. I'm a big fan of the 600, and X was the top of
    the 600 line.

    Now, if your looking for some basic 600s, maybe $100 for a P 1, 33mhz that
    is working. You'd probably also get software and windows 95 / 98 on it.
    Good luck, let us know what you find. dr
    --
    dr.news //stores.ebay.com/better-price-wireless (not better than you
    deserve, just more than you are used to)

    "ANC" <anc@not_to_beadams-blake.not_tobe.com> wrote in message
    Does anyone have a contact for a broker or company where I can buy old, old
    IBM Thinkpad 600e,x or T's at low prices (under or near $100 each) in lots
    of 25, 50 or 100? Google has a lot of possibilities but I thought someone
    here might know someone reputable. I want to make 'net appliances' out of
    them by putting Linux (which runs well on old hardware) on them and selling
    at cost (or maybe donating) them to senior citizens (and centers) who can't
    afford computers and who want to have an 'outlet' to the world via the
    internet. (I want Thinkpads because of they are well-built and are Linux
    friendly.)

    Thanks,

    Al

    dr news, Mar 31, 2006

  3. ANC

    ANC Guest

    dr news wrote:

    > Try ebay for a start, and click that your looking for "lots."  If your
    > looking for working laptops, 600? anything, your not going to find them
    > for $100.  If your looking for ones that don't work, then you have a
    > prayer. Maybe $150-$250 each working, but probably no o/s.

    Thanks for the post.

    First, I don't need an OS. I don't even want one! I'll install Linux.

    I didn't know about 'lots' keyword. I'll try it.

    I've been on ebay and see a number of old 600/e/x boxen for around $100 but
    most seem to sell for around $150....and the posts say they work... but you
    never know.... and I don't want to buy in ones and twos. No time for that.

    This is why I am looking for a broker or liquidator who might have a
    warehouse full of these old beasts that came off lease from some large
    company who didn't abuse the machines. So far I've not found anyone other
    than those who want to sell to me at retail...$250+ for the TP 600 or early
    T line.

    Maybe I should look at different line? What was made by Toshiba or Dell or
    HP that was well-built and will be Linux friendly? (Will probably use Damn
    Small Linux.)

    Thanks again,
    Al

    ANC, Mar 31, 2006
  4. ANC

    dr news Guest

    Anc: I just went to ebay and did a search. While I did not find hundeds, I
    did find lots of "lot"
    Search ebay for the following: ibm thinkpad (600, 600e, 600x)
    After the search, refine it by clicking the "Items listed as lots"

    lot of 6 6865535943, $75 for 6 ibm 600e's... you have to look about.
    THIS AUCTION IS FOR A LOT OF 6 IBM 600E THINKPAD LAPTOP COMPUTERS.
    UNITS HAVE NOT BEEN TESTED OTHER THAN THEY BOOT.

    1.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    2.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    3.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    4.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    5.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    6.. PII 366MHz (256KB) 128 MB RAM 13.3 XGA TFT 24XCDROM 56K MODEM
    THIS UNIT HAS A GOOD LCD HDD WITH CADDYAND COVER. BATTERY HOLDS CHARGE BUT
    IS NOT GUARANTEED FOR HOW LONG. UNIT BOOTS WITH ERRORS 161 AND 163.
    7.. 6 IBM POWER SUPPLIES ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS LOT.
    8.. 6 HDD'S ARE ALSO INCLUDED THEY WILL BE 6 TO 10 GIG UNTESTED.

    Heck, 6850189933, was for 12 batteries, asking $369, or $36/battery, and you
    want to buy the whole unit working for $100? that should be interesting.
    Good Luck.

    You will most likely find someone to sell you a pallat of IBM thinkpads,
    untested, as-is. Just ask some of the ebay sellers who sell large
    quantities, and I'm sure you'll find your untested pallet full. Let us know
    what you find.

    dr news, Mar 31, 2006
  5. ANC

    dr news Guest

    This sounds like exactly what you were looking for: The rest is up to you.
    dr $4500 for 23 thinkpads.... doing the math, that's more than $100 each.
    http://www.sell.com/2MCBC (ps, I'm not selling, I'm just looking for you)
    PC Software Included- Windows ME ,98SE

    Qty 1 P III 700 MHZ T20? 128MB RAM ,12GB HDD,14.1TFT Active,56K
    Qty 5P III 500 MHZ 2644-6BU 128MB RAM ,12GB HDD,13.3TFT Active,56K
    Qty 5 P III 450 MHZ 2644-1AU 128MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3TFT Active,56K
    Qty 5P II 366 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
    Qty 4 P II 333 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
    Qty 3 P II 300 MHZ 2644-3AU 64MB RAM ,6GB HDD,13.3 TFT Active,56k
    Total-23

    sell.com classifieds : Lot of 23 IBM thinkpads+MORE for sale in Atlanta
    (2MCBC)
    Welcome You are bidding on a HUGE lot of 23 mixed Ibm thinkpads. This is a
    off lease sale one time only!. All laptops come from liqudation sales to our
    warehouse. All laptops are in original sales condition.For Sale
    Warehous... - Please DO NOT bid unless you intend to buy! Your offer
    constitues agreement to these terms and will be considered ...
    www.sell.com/2MCBC - 26k - Cached - More from this site - Save

    That wasn't hard to find... yahoo search for ibm thinkpad lot :) Just take
    a little bit of effort, and you can tell us what types of deals you found.
    dr

    dr news, Mar 31, 2006
  6. ANC

    ANC Guest

    dr news wrote:

    > Heck, 6850189933, was for 12 batteries, asking $369, or $36/battery, and
    > you
    > want to buy the whole unit working for $100? that should be interesting.
    > Good Luck.
    >
    > You will most likely find someone to sell you a pallat of IBM thinkpads,
    > untested, as-is. Just ask some of the ebay sellers who sell large
    > quantities, and I'm sure you'll find your untested pallet full. Let us
    > know what you find.

    Thanks for the help. I appreciate the work you did for me.

    I went to Best Buy and Circuit City and Costco today and found you can buy a
    basic laptop for $599 to $699 depending on what is on sale and what rebates
    are available. And with Dell you can order one for $499:
    http://tinyurl.com/aaqof .

    I don't see how these old 600e,x boxen can hold their price. Who wants to
    pay $200 to 250 for a circa 1999 IBM 600e when for a few bucks more you get
    something a thousand times more powerful?

    I guess I was stupid enough to expect to find some liquidator somewhere who
    would say "We got bjillion of these 600s so just give us something,
    anything, for them so we can get them out of our warehouse!"

    I didn't realize the parts were so expensive.

    Maybe I need to think about other brands beside IBM? Problem is that I don't
    know what is Linux-friendly as well as half-way well built in the Toshiba,
    Dell, HP, Compaq, etc. lines.

    Thanks again.

    Al

    Al

    ANC, Apr 1, 2006
  7. ANC

    JHEM Guest

    ANC wrote:
    > I guess I was stupid enough to expect to find some liquidator
    > somewhere who would say "We got bjillion of these 600s so just give
    > us something, anything, for them so we can get them out of our
    > warehouse!"

    The 600 series is so old that the "lots" have all been liquidated long ago,
    they're now sold as individual units on eBay.

    You'd have better luck looking for _newer_ T series units. There are tons of
    T23 units coming off lease right now and there are pallet loads of them
    available. $100 each is a bit far fetched, but $150 each is not outside the
    realm of possibility.

    Regards,

    James

    JHEM, Apr 2, 2006
  8. ANC

    timeOday Guest

    ANC wrote:

    > I don't see how these old 600e,x boxen can hold their price. Who wants to
    > pay $200 to 250 for a circa 1999 IBM 600e when for a few bucks more you get
    > something a thousand times more powerful?

    It is strange, isn't it. I've watched used laptop prices for years, and
    they're always higher than I'm willing to pay. I think the "problem" is
    so many people just want something for non-demanding office type work,
    which almost any machine can do. A lot of people don't want to pay for
    cutting edge performance, battery life, or portability.

    timeOday, Apr 7, 2006