    Any constructive suggestions?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 19, 2007

  2. Michelle Steiner

    larwe Guest

    Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
    > only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in

    errr... they're bog-standard SODIMMs. Circuit City, Staples, Best Buy,
    CompUSA, .......

    larwe, Jan 19, 2007

  3. Michelle Steiner

    Tom Stiller Guest

    <http://www.crucial.com>

    --
    Tom Stiller

    PGP fingerprint = 5108 DDB2 9761 EDE5 E7E3
    7BDA 71ED 6496 99C0 C7CF

    Tom Stiller, Jan 19, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > Any constructive suggestions?

    Not without ,offering mail order. Depends on how fast you need it.

    Some place ship FedX same day.

    I use www.datamem.com

    They are in New Hampshire but ship same day if orders are received by
    3-4 PM EST.

    DMK

    D. Kirkpatrick, Jan 19, 2007
  5. In article <>,
    Tom Stiller <> wrote:

    > > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
    > > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
    > > lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
    > > tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
    > >
    > > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
    > > too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
    > > I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
    > > for her.
    > >
    > > Any constructive suggestions?

    > <http://www.crucial.com>

    Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
    install the RAM the same day.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 19, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    "larwe" <> wrote:

    > > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
    > > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
    > > lives in

    > errr... they're bog-standard SODIMMs. Circuit City, Staples, Best
    > Buy, CompUSA, .......

    What brand memory do each of those places sell, and are they reliable
    brands?

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 19, 2007
  7. Michelle Steiner

    Grandpa Guest

    Michelle Steiner wrote:
    > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
    > only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in
    > Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or tomorrow, so mail
    > order is not an option for her.
    >
    > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are too
    > high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1) I don't
    > trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way for her.
    >
    > Any constructive suggestions?

    Well, you *could* try the websites of a couple of the local brickhouses,
    and see what they have to offer before she makes the trek. Depending on
    the model, Best Buy may or may not have PNY, or Kingston modules
    available, Circuit City seems to be a wash, and I'm just not familiar
    with her area to know off the top of my head what's around there.
    --
    Grandpa

    Grandpa, Jan 19, 2007
  8. Michelle Steiner

    Tom Stiller Guest

    In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    > > > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
    > > > has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
    > > > lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
    > > > tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
    > > >
    > > > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
    > > > too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
    > > > I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
    > > > for her.
    > > >
    > > > Any constructive suggestions?

    > > <http://www.crucial.com>

    > Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
    > install the RAM the same day.

    Act in haste; repent in leisure. :)

    Tom Stiller, Jan 19, 2007
  9. Michelle Steiner

    tacit Guest

    In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > What brand memory do each of those places sell, and are they reliable
    > brands?

    With memory, brand names don't matter much--the name on the sticker is
    not the name of the company that makes the RAM. All the RAM comes from
    only a handful of factories in Taiwan; the RAM vendors merely stick
    their sticker on it and sell it.

    Any brand that carries a lifetime replacement warranty is fine. I
    usually stay away from places like Best Buy or CompUSA; they charge the
    extra special "rape you in the ass because you're buying at a large
    chain retailer" prices for things like RAM, which granted are not as
    high as Apple's prices, but are still pretty obnoxious. When I need
    RAM[*], I just hop in the car and drive down a busy street until I find
    a little hole in the wall, mom-and-pop computer store in a strip mall
    somewhere, ask 'em if they have a lifetime replacement warranty on their
    RAM, and if the answer is yes, that's where I get it.

    You didn't say what model of G4 this RAM is going in, but odds are good
    if it's an older G4 you will need PC100 or PC133 DIMMs. These are old
    enough that they're getting hard to find.

    * For anything but a MacPro, that is. The FBDIMMs required by a MacPro
    are pretty exotic, and I have not had any luck finding them anywhere
    save online.

    --
    Photography, kink, polyamory, shareware, and more: all at
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    tacit, Jan 20, 2007
  10. Michelle Steiner

    Rob Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 13:19:17 -0800, Michelle Steiner wrote
    (in article <>):

    > In article <>,
    > Tom Stiller <> wrote:
    >
    >>> A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She
    >>> has only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She
    >>> lives in Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or
    >>> tomorrow, so mail order is not an option for her.
    >>>
    >>> I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are
    >>> too high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1)
    >>> I don't trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way
    >>> for her.
    >>>
    >>> Any constructive suggestions?

    >> <http://www.crucial.com>

    > Brick and mortar; she wants to be able to go there today or tomorrow and
    > install the RAM the same day.

    I would try Best Buy with their Geek Guys service to install the ram.

    Rob, Jan 20, 2007
  11. Michelle Steiner

    Rob Guest

    On Fri, 19 Jan 2007 12:07:14 -0800, Michelle Steiner wrote
    (in article <>):

    > A friend of mine needs to buy more RAM for her PowerBook G4. (She has
    > only 256 megs right now, and is running Tiger 10.4.9.) She lives in
    > Oakland, CA, and wants to buy and install it today or tomorrow, so mail
    > order is not an option for her.
    >
    > I told her not to buy it from Apple because Apple's RAM prices are too
    > high, but I don't know of any place other than Fry's, which (1) I don't
    > trust all that much, and (2) is quite a bit out of the way for her.
    >
    > Any constructive suggestions?

    What does your X-Face Mean? No Whites?

    Rob, Jan 20, 2007
  12. In article <>,
    tacit <> wrote:

    > You didn't say what model of G4 this RAM is going in, but odds are
    > good if it's an older G4 you will need PC100 or PC133 DIMMs. These
    > are old enough that they're getting hard to find.

    It's a 15" model. I think she bought it in October of 04.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2007
  13. In article <>,
    Rob <> wrote:

    > What does your X-Face Mean? No Whites?

    Ya know who "Dubya" is? It means "No Dubya". Sounds logical to me. The
    nightmare will be ending soon.

    Reginald Dwight, Jan 20, 2007
  14. Michelle Steiner

    Don Bruder Guest

    In article <>,
    Reginald Dwight <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Rob <> wrote:
    >
    > > What does your X-Face Mean? No Whites?

    > Ya know who "Dubya" is? It means "No Dubya". Sounds logical to me. The
    > nightmare will be ending soon.

    With the sheep running scared of terrorists, I wouldn't be betting on
    that... The shrub might (OK, will) get voted out since he's out of terms
    (unless he issues some sort of "emergency cancellation of elections", or
    some such, which I wouldn't put past him to at least attempt) but I
    expect we'll just get someone even worse to replace him.

    ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info

    Don Bruder, Jan 20, 2007
  15. In article <>,
    Reginald Dwight <> wrote:

    > > What does your X-Face Mean? No Whites?

    > Ya know who "Dubya" is? It means "No Dubya". Sounds logical to me.
    > The nightmare will be ending soon.

    For some reason, Rob's message never made it to my provider's server.

    For the record, I want to confirm that you're right about the meaning of
    my x-face.

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2007
  16. In article <45b1a422$0$69016$>,
    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > With the sheep running scared of terrorists, I wouldn't be betting on
    > that... The shrub might (OK, will) get voted out since he's out of terms
    > (unless he issues some sort of "emergency cancellation of elections", or
    > some such, which I wouldn't put past him to at least attempt) but I
    > expect we'll just get someone even worse to replace him.

    Yawn. It'd be nice to not let a thread go off-topic into partisan
    yapping for once. Let's all give it our best.

    Reginald Dwight, Jan 20, 2007
  17. D. Kirkpatrick <> wrote:

    > I use www.datamem.com
    >
    > They are in New Hampshire but ship same day if orders are received by
    > 3-4 PM EST.

    I love those guys. I have used them for over 15 years. Good prices
    plus they don't rip you off with jacking up the shipping & handling.
    Their Mac sales person ALWAYS knows what type of memory you need, even
    for the newest platforms or for real old machines.

    I can affirm that they stick to their lifetime warranty - last week a 5
    year old DMS stick in old G4 started acting flakey (confirmed which
    stick was bad with Memtest and removing/replacing). I had misplaced the
    original packing slip, but they still had my order in their computer,
    and reading them the part code from the sticker got me a replacement
    shipped out the same day.

    A company that is a real pleasure to do business with.

    ward mcfarland, Jan 20, 2007
  18. In article <45b1a422$0$69016$>,
    Don Bruder <> wrote:

    > but I expect we'll just get someone even worse to replace him.

    Hillary just announced yesterday IIRC.

    --
    While its true that "you can't fix stupid", apparently you
    can package it up and sell it. -- fnorgby on TMBO

    Howard S Shubs, Jan 20, 2007
  19. In article <>,
    Howard S Shubs <> wrote:

    > > but I expect we'll just get someone even worse to replace him.

    > Hillary just announced yesterday IIRC.

    He said "someone worse", not "someone better".

    --
    Support the troops: Bring them home ASAP.

    Michelle Steiner, Jan 20, 2007
  20. In article <>,
    Michelle Steiner <> wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > Howard S Shubs <> wrote:
    >
    > > > but I expect we'll just get someone even worse to replace him.

    > > Hillary just announced yesterday IIRC.

    > He said "someone worse", not "someone better".

    Here we go again...

    Reginald Dwight, Jan 20, 2007