    If anyone could point out where I can find the exact specifications
    online, I'd really appreciate it.

    Kind regards, thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek
    sobriquet, Jan 27, 2008

  2. I guess you're out of luck, as there's no XP drivers for that model...
    http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/downloads.html

    I found XP drivers for my TravelMate7520 (which came pre-installed with
    Vista) there
    (Also a BIOS update was needed...)

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================

    "sobriquet" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...

    Thomas Wendell, Jan 27, 2008

  3. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 27 jan, 05:16, sobriquet <> wrote:
    > Hi.
    > On an Acer Aspire 7720G, I try to get xp installed next to vista.
    > It's installed now and of course there are many yellow icons in the
    > hardware manager because of missing drivers. So I basically need to
    > figure out the exact hardware specifications of the laptop, so I can
    > go to all the websites from the hardware manufacturers to obtain all
    > the proper xp drivers.
    > As far as I can see, the acer website itself offers no xp drivers
    > whatsoever, but I'd love to be corrected if I'm wrong about that
    > assumption.
    > If anyone could point out where I can find the exact specifications
    > online, I'd really appreciate it.
    >
    > Kind regards, thx in advance for any suggestions, Niek

    From the lack of feedback I infer there are no such specifications.
    Ok, so the only alternative I see is to simply look at the list of
    vista drivers at the acer website and figure out from that what
    hardware is in the laptop and where to obtain the xp drivers.
    sobriquet, Jan 29, 2008
  4. sobriquet

    Wandering Guest

    Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right track
    now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific brand
    and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
    replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista will
    have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the bios
    chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
    drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
    XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
    may think of Vista) I wish you well.

    --

    Blessings & peace --- Ray

    Wandering, Jan 29, 2008
  5. sobriquet

    sobriquet Guest

    On 29 jan, 23:26, "Wandering" <> wrote:
    > Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right track
    > now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific brand
    > and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
    > replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista will
    > have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the bios
    > chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
    > drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
    > XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
    > may think of Vista) I wish you well.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Blessings & peace  --- Ray

    I don't understand though why Acer doesn't offer the same laptop with
    XP. If they offer people
    the choice between XP and vista they could sell more laptops I reckon.
    I have a dell laptop (my dad has the acer laptop) and it runs vista
    and xp side by side without problems (and the dell site offers xp as
    well as vista drivers).
    sobriquet, Jan 29, 2008
  6. "sobriquet" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...
    On 29 jan, 23:26, "Wandering" <> wrote:
    > Well, I couldn't answer your first question, but you are on the right
    > track
    > now. Keep in mind, laptops often use drivers specific to that specific
    > brand
    > and model, and the more generic manufacturers version may not be an equal
    > replacement. You can only try. But few new machines designed for Vista
    > will
    > have XP drivers for key items. This can include the graphics chips, the
    > bios
    > chips, and other internals sometimes overlooked. You can try the Vista
    > drivers that came with it, but they are not likely to work properly under
    > XP. In the end, it's not always possible to go backward. (Whatever others
    > may think of Vista) I wish you well.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Blessings & peace --- Ray

    I don't understand though why Acer doesn't offer the same laptop with
    XP. If they offer people
    the choice between XP and vista they could sell more laptops I reckon.
    I have a dell laptop (my dad has the acer laptop) and it runs vista
    and xp side by side without problems (and the dell site offers xp as
    well as vista drivers).

    When I got my TravelMate7520 on nov-29, there were no XP drivers available
    at the place I pointed at, but two weeks later there were...

    --
    Tumppi
    =================================
    Thomas Wendell, Jan 30, 2008
  7. sobriquet

    Wandering Guest

    Well, they don't check with me before making these decisions, so I can't
    speak with authority, but my guess is that it simply comes to economics. It
    costs a great deal of money to write new drivers for any operating system.
    Since they probably (only my guess) sell about a thousand Vista machines for
    each person who wants to buy with XP, there is really a very small market
    and so, no way to recoup their investment.

    Remember when you come to these forums, you are coming to a group that is
    having a problems. For each one of them, there are many times more that are
    not, and so do not come here. The last figures I saw were that in home
    computer sales, Vista had 95% of the Windows market. It's only in business
    machines that XP has a large enough share that the vendors can not only
    charge higher prices, but have sufficient market to justify developing
    multiple drivers on new designs.

    Your Acer may well fall into that business class, or was designed a year or
    more ago before Vista reached such a commanding lead. It may simply have
    used more generic devices which might have had drivers that could be easily
    tweaked into Vista. I don't know.

    I might suggest that most of the grief I've experienced or observed on these
    newsgroups with Vista preinstalled on a computer have been personal
    resistance to learning the new way it works. It's not XP, and does quite a
    number of things better, though I am sure no one will see all the
    differences as improvements, many really are. I am well satisfied with my
    Acer desktop with Vista. It ran out of the box, I took the time to learn
    Vista, and it keeps running just dandy. I like Vista, but then I was
    prepared to take the learning adventure. Do I think everything Vista does is
    great? No! But there is really not much wrong with it.

    BUT, If you have upgraded older hardware to Vista, you can easily have
    multiple, and possibly unsolvable problems, again, because of the lack of
    suitable Vista drivers for the older hardware. The bottom line is always the
    same, never change operating systems without being certain you can obtain
    the necessary drivers for your hardware.

    By the way, I have tried running a few flavors of Linux on my box and they
    seem to perform well. On the other hand, they, too were a significant
    learning adventure, and I had important and expensive Windows software that
    would have been highly problematic. Vista runs NEARLY everything I throw at
    it. Not everything! And when it doesn't run, and comes crashing down, Vista
    shuts it down, and keeps on performing well. I have never had Vista shut
    down. So, in all it paid me to learn Vista. It may well pay you, in time and
    satisfaction to make a similar journey.

    Whatever you do, I wish you the best.

    Wandering, Jan 30, 2008
  8. sobriquet

     Bluto Guest

    On Thu, 3 Jul 2008 10:35:49 -0500, walterg74
    <> wrote:

    >Hey there. don't know if you solved this or still interested, but I
    >found ALL drivers for XP for the Aspire 7720...

    Whats so spectacular about that? Everyone knows they're available at
    their website.

    >Sometimes you gotta not listen that hard to people who post comments
    >like the ones above, most of them don't have a clue as to what they're
    >talking about, and post just for the sake of posting.... anyway, let me
    >know if you still care about this and I'll tell you how to get the
    >drivers.

    I don't think you'll be telling how to get them to many people because
    anyone with a brain knows how to. Hard people who post comments are
    those who have used acers and had many problems with them...then
    getting them repaired turned into another nightmare. They have a good
    reason to be hard. If you hold your acer long enough you'll become
    one of them
     Bluto, Jul 4, 2008