  1. Judd

    Judd Guest

    A bit late isn't he?

    Judd, Feb 18, 2004

  2. Judd

    steve harris Guest

    Judd wrote:
    > A bit late isn't he?

    what news?
    :)

    steve harris, Feb 18, 2004

  3. steve harris wrote:
    > Judd wrote:
    >
    >> A bit late isn't he?
    >>

    > what news?

    I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.

    --
    bill davidsen <>
    CTO TMR Associates, Inc

    Bill Davidsen, Feb 18, 2004
  4. Judd

    steve harris Guest

    Bill Davidsen wrote:

    > steve harris wrote:
    >
    >> Judd wrote:
    >>
    >>> A bit late isn't he?
    >>>

    >> what news?

    > I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.

    Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
    Huh??

    steve harris, Feb 18, 2004
  5. Judd

    Guest

    On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:57:16 -0600, steve harris
    <> wrote:

    >Bill Davidsen wrote:
    >
    >> steve harris wrote:

    >>> what news?

    >> I did expect some mention of the Intel Opteron press release yesterday.
    >>

    >Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
    >Huh??

    thats what todays NewYorkTimes says.

    , Feb 19, 2004
  6. Judd

    leslie Guest

    steve harris () wrote:
    :
    : Intel building AMD64 compatible processors? No way!
    : Huh??
    :

    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/7981150.htm
    Mercury News | 02/18/2004 | Intel plays 64-bit catch-up

    "Posted on Wed, Feb. 18, 2004

    Intel plays 64-bit catch-up
    By Therese Poletti
    Mercury News

    Intel Chief Executive Craig Barrett said Tuesday that the chip giant
    will follow its rival's lead with a technology that mimics Advanced
    Micro Devices' chips for computer servers.

    The much-rumored move puts the Santa Clara company in the awkward and
    unusual position of selling chips compatible with technology first
    embraced and launched by AMD, its scrappy Sunnyvale competitor. Intel
    already sells the 64-bit Itanium chip, which is based on a separate
    technology.

    Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
    than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
    computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

    Barrett said in his keynote speech at the Intel Developer Forum in San
    Francisco that the next version of its Xeon processor for low-end
    servers, code-named Nocona, will offer the 64-bit capability found in
    AMD's Opteron family of chips for servers. He also said Intel will
    offer a version of its Prescott Pentium 4 chip for workstations with
    single processors with the 64-bit capability. The chips will be
    available in the spring.

    ``It's only the worst-kept secret in San Francisco,'' Barrett said,
    acknowledging the many rumors. He also said Intel's chips will run on
    a new 64-bit version of the Windows operating system that Microsoft
    has been developing, initially based on AMD's chip designs.

    AMD's version of 64-bit computing in its Opteron and Athlon-64 chips
    is based on the standard Intel architecture that runs mainstream
    software applications used in 32-bit computing today.

    AMD executives had a hard time restraining their glee Tuesday..."

    --Jerry Leslie
    Note: is invalid for email

    leslie, Feb 19, 2004
  7. On 2004-02-18 01:02:16 +0100, "Judd" <> said:

    > A bit late isn't he?

    No news is good news as they say ;)

    --

    http://haxor.dk +45 2685 5909

    Democracy is not something you believe in or a lace to hang your hat,
    but it's something you do. You articipate. If you stop doing it,
    democracy crumbles.
    - Abbie Hoffman

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=, Feb 19, 2004
  8. On 2004-02-19 05:44:29 +0100, (leslie) said:

    > Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
    > than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
    > computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

    ...yes, if they're running 64-bit code, and there are data types to
    take advantage of these 64-bit registers.

    I can't think of any consumer apps the take advantage of 64-bit data types ?

    I'm looking forward to 128-bit FP data types and 256-bit vectors...

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Peter_Perls=F8?=, Feb 19, 2004
  9. "Peter Perlsø" <> wrote in message

    > On 2004-02-19 05:44:29 +0100, (leslie) said:

    >> Computer servers equipped with 64-bit chips process data much faster
    >> than standard 32-bit chips and are currently used for big corporate
    >> computing tasks and for advanced scientific research.

    > ..yes, if they're running 64-bit code, and there are data types to take
    > advantage of these 64-bit registers.
    >
    > I can't think of any consumer apps the take advantage of 64-bit data types
    > ?
    >
    > I'm looking forward to 128-bit FP data types and 256-bit vectors...

    That paragraph was meaningless. It is technically true, computer servers
    equipped with 64-chips do in fact process data faster than standard 32-bit
    chips and are in fact used for big corporate computing tasks and advanced
    scientific research.

    Of course, it is also true that computer servers equipped with 32-bit
    chips process data much faster than standard (commodity) 32-bit chips and
    are also currently used for big corporate computing tasks and advanced
    scientific research.

    DS

    David Schwartz, Feb 19, 2004