    they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with TI. I'm
    sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

    Meindert
    Meindert Sprang, Oct 27, 2011

  2. Meindert Sprang

    Wil Taphoorn Guest

    On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of
    > 256kB and an ethernet controller.

    > [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

    Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

    --
    Wil
    Wil Taphoorn, Oct 27, 2011

  3. Meindert Sprang

    Rich Webb Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, "Meindert Sprang"
    <> wrote:

    >I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.
    >
    >The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash of
    >256kB and an ethernet controller.
    >I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    >controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    >controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board and
    >built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does but
    >they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with TI. I'm
    >sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

    ST's STM32F107 line of CM3s will run 72 MHz and have (among other stuff,
    of course) embedded Ethernet MACs with DMA support. Haven't played with
    the 107-series but have used the 103 in several recent projects. Nice
    chips.

    --
    Rich Webb Norfolk, VA
    Rich Webb, Oct 27, 2011
  4. "Wil Taphoorn" <> wrote in message
    > On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash

    of
    > > 256kB and an ethernet controller.

    > > [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

    > Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

    I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
    parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
    description..

    Meindert
    Meindert Sprang, Oct 27, 2011
  5. Meindert Sprang

    Joe Chisolm Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:

    > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.
    >
    > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
    > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
    > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
    > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
    > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with
    > TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?
    >
    > Meindert

    TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
    LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet. The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz
    ST has a line with Ethernet. They are all right there on their web sites.

    --
    Joe
    Republic of Texas
    Joe Chisolm, Oct 27, 2011
  6. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 8:01 am, Joe Chisolm <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

    > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
    > > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
    > > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    > > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    > > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
    > > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
    > > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash)

    They are probably all around 30Mhz running from flash. That's the
    current process limit.

    > TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
    > LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet.  The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz

    with several wait states.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  7. Rich Webb wrote:
    >ST's STM32F107 line of CM3s will run 72 MHz and have (among other stuff,
    >of course) embedded Ethernet MACs with DMA support. Haven't played with
    >the 107-series but have used the 103 in several recent projects. Nice
    >chips.

    I second that. Personally used only the F100 series, but the F200 are
    used in other projects in my company. The documentation is good, there
    are many inexpensive development boards, and the combination STM32 +
    Segger J-Link + IAR, (my employer's weapon of choice,) works well.
    --
    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]
    Roberto Waltman, Oct 27, 2011
  8. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 7:17 am, "Meindert Sprang" <>
    wrote:
    > "Wil Taphoorn" <> wrote in message

    > > On 27-10-2011 12:47, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash

    > of
    > > > 256kB and an ethernet controller.

    > > > [..] NXP does not have any with ethernet,

    > > Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

    > I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
    > parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
    > description..

    '>

    If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well. I
    don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying
    ARM are forever. You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states.
    It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once
    relocated to sram. At least, that the theory. In practice, i only
    heard of 160MHz.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  9. Meindert Sprang

    Jukka Marin Guest

    On 2011-10-27, linnix <-for.us> wrote:
    >> TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
    >> LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet.  The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69 120mhz

    > with several wait states.

    NXP uses 128-bit wide FLASH and a "memory accelerator" (a simple RAM buffer)
    which helps.

    -jm
    Jukka Marin, Oct 27, 2011
  10. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 8:46 am, Jukka Marin <> wrote:
    > On 2011-10-27, linnix <-for.us> wrote:
    >
    > >> TI's Stellaris line has Ethernet (and a version with built in phy), NXP
    > >> LPC1758, 1768 and 1769 all have Ethernet.  The 1768 is 100Mhz the 69120mhz

    > > with several wait states.

    > NXP uses 128-bit wide FLASH and a "memory accelerator" (a simple RAM buffer)
    > which helps.
    >
    >   -jm

    PIC32 also have internal wider bus (128 bits or more), instruction
    cache and 5 stage pre-fetch pipeline. I guess almost everybody is
    doing the same.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  11. Meindert Sprang

    Tim Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:

    > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.
    >
    > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
    > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
    > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
    > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
    > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with
    > TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?
    >
    > Meindert

    Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon? If they did, they'd have
    an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least
    one Ethernet.

    (It's been years since I've even looked at the Freescale website --
    presumably if they'd slid off the face of the earth I'd have read about
    it, but that's all I know).

    --
    Tim Wescott
    www.wescottdesign.com
    Tim, Oct 27, 2011
  12. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 9:35 am, Tim <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

    > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
    > > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
    > > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    > > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    > > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
    > > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
    > > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with
    > > TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

    > > Meindert

    > Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon?  If they did, they'd have
    > an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least
    > one Ethernet.

    Yes, ARM M4 w/ DSP. Got USB, CAN, ethernet and whatever.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  13. Meindert Sprang

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:39:06 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    <-for.us> wrote:

    >On Oct 27, 7:17 am, "Meindert Sprang" <>
    >wrote:
    >> "Wil Taphoorn" <> wrote in message

    >> of

    >> > Some (most) of LPC177x do have Ethernet.

    >> I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
    >> parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
    >> description..

    >'>
    >
    >If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well. I
    >don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying
    >ARM are forever. You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states.
    >It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once
    >relocated to sram. At least, that the theory. In practice, i only
    >heard of 160MHz.

    I like the PIC32 a lot, too. But I think Meindert already
    has an ARM toolset. That usually plays large in a decision
    like this.

    Jon
    Jon Kirwan, Oct 27, 2011
  14. Meindert Sprang

    Guest

    Tim <> wrote:
    > Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon? If they did, they'd have
    > an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least
    > one Ethernet.

    They've got the Kinetis Cortex-M4 microcontrollers and the i.MX
    microprocessors.

    -a
    , Oct 27, 2011
  15. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 9:38 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:39:06 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    >

    > <-for.us> wrote:
    > >On Oct 27, 7:17 am, "Meindert Sprang" <>
    > >wrote:
    > >> "Wil Taphoorn" <> wrote in message

    > >> of

    > >> I saw that too. Strangely enough the ethernet interface is not listed in the
    > >> parametric search window on the NXP site. But it is in the general
    > >> description..

    > >'>

    > >If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well.  I
    > >don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying
    > >ARM are forever.  You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states.
    > >It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once
    > >relocated to sram.  At least, that the theory.  In practice, i only
    > >heard of 160MHz.

    > I like the PIC32 a lot, too.  But I think Meindert already
    > has an ARM toolset.  That usually plays large in a decision
    > like this.
    >
    > Jon

    Actually, i have LMI, ST and NXP ARM boards/tools as well, but that
    doesn't stop me from jumping to PIC32 (per customer request). Just
    poking fun at people saying MIPS is dead.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  16. Tim wrote:

    >Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon?

    Who doesn't ? ;) Yes, the

    i.MX2** series, (ARM9)
    i.MX3** series, (ARM11)
    i.MX5** series, (Cortex-A8)
    i.MX6** series, (Cortex-A9, announced)

    > If they did, they'd have
    > an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least
    > one Ethernet.

    Didn't see anything as ugly as the QUICC in those processors but,
    paraphrasing Tolstoy, "every processor family is ugly in its own
    unique way."
    --
    Roberto Waltman

    [ Please reply to the group,
    return address is invalid ]
    Roberto Waltman, Oct 27, 2011
  17. Meindert Sprang

    Jon Kirwan Guest

    On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:44:04 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    <-for.us> wrote:

    >On Oct 27, 9:38 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    >> On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 08:39:06 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    >>
    >> <-for.us> wrote:

    >> >'>

    >> >If you don't mind a MIPS core, PIC32MX7XX has ethernet as well.  I
    >> >don't really care about the core, but just poking fun as people saying
    >> >ARM are forever.  You can run the PIC32 at 210MHz with 7 wait states.
    >> >It will run at effective 30MHz in flash, but switch to 210MHz once
    >> >relocated to sram.  At least, that the theory.  In practice, i only
    >> >heard of 160MHz.

    >> I like the PIC32 a lot, too.  But I think Meindert already
    >> has an ARM toolset.  That usually plays large in a decision
    >> like this.
    >>
    >> Jon

    >Actually, i have LMI, ST and NXP ARM boards/tools as well, but that
    >doesn't stop me from jumping to PIC32 (per customer request). Just
    >poking fun at people saying MIPS is dead.

    Ah. Given that it is from Microchip, it will never be dead.
    I think I can still get PIC16C54, today. Once they commit,
    they commit.

    Jon
    Jon Kirwan, Oct 27, 2011
  18. Meindert Sprang

    linnix Guest

    On Oct 27, 10:05 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:44:04 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    >

    > <-for.us> wrote:
    > >On Oct 27, 9:38 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:

    > >> I like the PIC32 a lot, too. But I think Meindert already
    > >> has an ARM toolset. That usually plays large in a decision
    > >> like this.

    > >> Jon

    > >Actually, i have LMI, ST and NXP ARM boards/tools as well, but that
    > >doesn't stop me from jumping to PIC32 (per customer request).  Just
    > >poking fun at people saying MIPS is dead.

    > Ah.  Given that it is from Microchip, it will never be dead.
    > I think I can still get PIC16C54, today.  Once they commit,
    > they commit.
    >
    > Jon

    On the contrary, PIC24FJ256DA206 (with graphics, but we are not using
    it yet) is no longer active on Digikey and disappearing from certain
    Microchip list. I think the microchip rep was trying to steer us away
    from this part as well. Hence, we are looking into PIC26 and PIC32.
    BTW, PIC26 (PIC24H) is 10% faster than PIC24 and with 12 bits A2D.
    linnix, Oct 27, 2011
  19. Meindert Sprang

    cassiope Guest

    On Oct 27, 10:05 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 09:44:04 -0700 (PDT), linnix
    >

    > <-for.us> wrote:
    > >On Oct 27, 9:38 am, Jon Kirwan <> wrote:

    > >> I like the PIC32 a lot, too. But I think Meindert already
    > >> has an ARM toolset. That usually plays large in a decision
    > >> like this.

    > >> Jon

    > >Actually, i have LMI, ST and NXP ARM boards/tools as well, but that
    > >doesn't stop me from jumping to PIC32 (per customer request).  Just
    > >poking fun at people saying MIPS is dead.

    > Ah.  Given that it is from Microchip, it will never be dead.
    > I think I can still get PIC16C54, today.  Once they commit,
    > they commit.
    >
    > Jon

    Well, mostly. They occasionally have version-bumps that prevent re-
    use of existing compiled code.
    Cost of some of the old chips has gone up quite a bit, and
    availability (at least through distributors)
    is (perhaps understandably) not so good.
    cassiope, Oct 27, 2011
  20. Meindert Sprang

    Guest

    On 27 Okt., 18:35, Tim <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 12:47:08 +0200, Meindert Sprang wrote:
    > > I am facing a redesign of an existing controller board.

    > > The original board is based on an AT91R40008-66 with an external flash
    > > of 256kB and an ethernet controller.
    > > I have no idea how long the R40008 will be around and with so many ARM
    > > controllers with built-in peripherals I am inclined to use a newer
    > > controller (might be an M3 core) with sufficent flash and SRAM on board
    > > and built-in ethernet. NXP does not have any with ethernet, Atmel does
    > > but they're slower (30MHz full speed from flash) and no luck so far with
    > > TI. I'm sure I am missing some other sources here. Suggestions anyone?

    > > Meindert

    > Has Freescale even gotten on the ARM bandwagon?  If they did, they'd have
    > an ARM-QUICC (or whatever) with a bazzilion interfaces including at least
    > one Ethernet.
    >
    > (It's been years since I've even looked at the Freescale website --
    > presumably if they'd slid off the face of the earth I'd have read about
    > it, but that's all I know).

    remember looking at Freescale mac7xxx, arm7 aimed at automotive
    don't think they had ethernet, the real interesting thing about them
    was that they had 5V IOs
    but it looked like they only sold them to a few select customers

    when I worked for Freescale we made several RF chips with an arm7
    core

    -Lasse
    , Oct 27, 2011