Which Bios-Settings for S-ATA and Epox EP-8K9A9+

Discussion in 'Epox' started by Al Bogner, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Al Bogner

    Al Bogner Guest

    I have problems to use a S-ATA-HD with an Epox EP-8K9A9+

    Bios: 9a9p3a15.bin
    S-ATA HD: Maxtor 6B200M0

    Which Bios-settings do I need?

    I changed to these values:

    Advanced Bios Features / ATA Raid or SCSI Card Boot [S-ATA]
    Integrated Peripherals / VT 6420 Serial ATA [on]

    I read about "IDE-compatibility-mode". Is this another setting?
    Where can I find it?

    I tried a lot and didn't find out, what to do, to boot from this
    S-ATA-HD.

    Al
    Al Bogner, Dec 26, 2004

  2. Al Bogner

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Al.

    I'm not familiar with that mobo or with SATA, but your symptoms sound quite
    similar to those I experienced nearly 5 years ago when trying to install
    Win2K when it was new. Since then, I've seen similar problems reported over
    and over in the Microsoft newsgroups. You haven't said which operating
    system you are trying to use, so I assume that it is WinXP. If not, then I
    guess you can quit reading right here and post back, telling us which OS is
    involved.

    When you boot from the WinXP (or Win2K) CD-ROM and run Setup, one of the
    first things it does is detect the hardware configuration, then it
    customizes YOUR copy of WinXP to fit YOUR environment. One of the most
    important pieces is the driver for the HD/controller that will be your boot
    device. Drivers for most drives are included on the WinXP CD-ROM, but there
    are no drivers for some very old, very new or exotic drives and controllers,
    especially if your CD is one of the originals that was produced 3 years ago,
    before SATA was popular. It may be that there are no SATA drivers on your
    CD, or at least, none that work with your specific hardware. If that is the
    case, then you must get the proper drivers onto a floppy diskette before you
    run WinXP Setup. You might find the drivers on a floppy that came with the
    drive or mobo. If they are on a CD or downloaded from the Maxtor or EPoX
    website, you'll have to transfer them to a floppy because WinXP Setup
    doesn't know how to install them except from a floppy. When you boot from
    the CD, Setup knows how to create partitions on the HD and format them as
    required and copy files to that HD, but it does not know how to BOOT FROM
    that drive without installing those drivers.

    With the floppy at hand, boot from the WinXP CD-ROM and watch for the
    instruction, early in the Setup process, to Press F6 to install drivers for
    SCSI or another mass storage device. Press F6 and wait; Setup will seem not
    to notice and will continue to copy those dozens of files to the HD.
    Finally, it will stop with instructions onscreen for how to use the floppy
    to install the drivers. After that, it will continue and will boot from the
    SATA drive for the first time to enter the GUI phase of Setup.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    "Al Bogner" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    R. C. White, Dec 27, 2004

  3. Al Bogner

    Al Bogner Guest

    R. C. White wrote:

    > I'm not familiar with that mobo or with SATA, but your symptoms
    > sound quite similar to those I experienced nearly 5 years ago when
    > trying to install

    It looks like all the 3 OS, I tried, make problems, but different
    ones.

    I would like to install Linux, but I tried XP and DOS too. Fdisk of
    Win98 recognizes the S-ATA-drive with a simple DOS boot-floppy. XP
    doesn't recognize the S-ATA drive. DOS recognizes the S-ATA HD
    without any driver as _3rd_ drive, when 2 IDE-HDs are connected and
    partitoning the 200MB HD was possible, when I tried 2% as primary
    partition. Linux recognizes the S-ATA-HD as _1st_ drive, /dev/hda,
    if no boot-parameter "ide=reverse" is used.

    It looks like that the boot-information is searched at different
    places, depending which hds are connected.

    SuSE 9.1 uses grub as default and with grub different configurations
    didn't work. Then I removed all harddisks and used the S-ATA HD
    only (/dev/hda). It still didn't work, but when I converted the
    grub-configuration to lilo without changing anything it worked!

    Unfortunately I couldn't boot, when I added the IDE-drives again and
    used the same lilo-conf. I tried a lot of other lilo-configurations
    and always I get something like "no OS".

    So, at least, I think it is a lilo-configuration problem.

    Al
    Al Bogner, Dec 27, 2004
  4. Al Bogner

    DaveL Guest

    You have to hit F6 at the beginning of the XP setup and load the sata driver
    from floppy.

    DaveL

    "Al Bogner" <> wrote in
    message news:...