Which Bluetooth adapter to choose?

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Vaidas, Dec 23, 2010.

  1. Vaidas

    Vaidas Guest

    Vaidas, Dec 23, 2010

  2. Vaidas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Vaidas wrote:
    > I have an x200 and it doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter which I'd like
    > to install. I found on
    > http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Bluetooth_with_Enhanced_Data_Rate_(BDC-2.1)
    > that there are three part numbers (42T0969, 60Y3211 and 60Y3215) for
    > the adapter. What is different for those three adapters? Will
    > installing be as easy as opening the laptop and screwing the card to a
    > hole?

    Sorry, can't help on which part number to use. However, if you have a
    'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I've used the
    following (on laptops that don't have BT built-in) with good success:
    It doesn't get much cheaper than that for bluetooth! They're also very
    unobtrusive, you hardly notice the little bulge and it's black so that it
    matches your ThinkPad <g>. DealExtreme have plenty of other options for
    bluetooth dongles, these two look good to me (but I have no personal
    experience with them):

    I have no affiliation with DealExtreme, I've just used them many times as an
    alternative source of 'gizmos'. Considering that those prices include
    world-wide shipping you don't have much to lose IMO. (I'm in New Zealand and
    they usually take about a week to get here.)

    Best of luck with your bluetooth. :)
    --
    Shaun.

    into you." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

    ~misfit~, Dec 23, 2010

  3. Vaidas

    Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote:

    >However, if you have a
    >'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I

    Good advice but I hate those external BT "nubs"
    sticking out myself!

    Cant figure out why laptop makers don't make a
    "recessed" USB port for such things!!

    , Dec 24, 2010
  4. On Thu, 23 Dec 2010 11:43:17 -0800 (PST), Vaidas
    <> wrote:

    > I have an x200 and it doesn't have a Bluetooth adapter which I'd like
    > to install. I found on http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkPad_Bluetooth_with_Enhanced_Data_Rate_(BDC-2.1)
    > that there are three part numbers (42T0969, 60Y3211 and 60Y3215) for
    > the adapter. What is different for those three adapters? Will
    > installing be as easy as opening the laptop and screwing the card to a
    > hole?

    Is the set Blue-Tooth ready - with the indicator light symbol and the antenna
    already installed? If not then it's far simpler to use a USB dongle solution.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Dec 24, 2010
  5. Vaidas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >
    >> However, if you have a
    >> 'spare' USB port and it doesn't *have* to be internal I

    > Good advice but I hate those external BT "nubs"
    > sticking out myself!
    >
    > Cant figure out why laptop makers don't make a
    > "recessed" USB port for such things!!

    Heh! True. The 15" R40 has a recessed USB port. ;-)

    ~misfit~, Dec 25, 2010
  6. Vaidas

    Vaidas Guest

    Vaidas, Jan 4, 2011
  7. Vaidas

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs Vaidas wrote:
    > I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it?

    Yes, call Lenovo and order one for your machine. It's still relatively
    current there should be no problems. <shrug> Is that difficult?

    Going by my experience with IBM / Lenovo part numbers the three numbers that
    you quoted from thinkwiki are likely to be (a, 42T0969) original part, (b,
    60Y3211) original upgrade part and (c, 60Y3215) second run of upgrade parts.
    All of which should do exactly the same thing. In fact if you order one from
    Lenovo now you'll likely get a (d, 60Y32??) part number and be able to
    update thinkwiki's page.

    > Maybe
    > people that have it can give me info that
    > http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip shows, or under
    > linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?
    > Thanks.

    I don't have one, my T60s use a different adapter.

    ~misfit~, Jan 10, 2011
  8. On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:44:55 -0800 (PST), Vaidas <>
    wrote:

    > I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
    > people that have it can give me info that http://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
    > shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?

    Are you able to install the necessary antenna? If not I recommend you go USB.

    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 11, 2011
  9. >Yes, call Lenovo and order one for your machine.

    Lenovo has just recently set up a website for ordering parts:

    http://www.lenovospareparts.com/

    - Sam

    --
    #Sam Trenholme http://samiam.org -- Usenet user since September 1993#
    ######## My email address is at http://samiam.org/mailme.php ########

    Sam Trenholme, Jan 11, 2011
  10. Vaidas

    Vaidas Guest

    On Jan 11, 2:00 am, "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote:
    > On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:44:55 -0800 (PST), Vaidas <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
    > > people that have it can give me info thathttp://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
    > > shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?

    > Are you able to install the necessary antenna? If not I recommend you go USB.

    Do I need an antenna (that is not present on my machine)?

    Vaidas, Jan 11, 2011
  11. On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 03:17:22 -0800 (PST), Vaidas
    <> wrote:

    > On Jan 11, 2:00 am, "Anthony R. Gold" <> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 4 Jan 2011 05:44:55 -0800 (PST), Vaidas <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I want an internal Bluetooth card. So no suggestions about it? Maybe
    >>> people that have it can give me info thathttp://www.aida64.com/downloads/aida64extreme150zip
    >>> shows, or under linux maybe 'lspci -vv'?

    >> Are you able to install the necessary antenna? If not I recommend you go USB.

    > Do I need an antenna (that is not present on my machine)?

    See the X200 hardware Maintenance Manual at page 162 for its location:
    http://download.lenovo.com/ibmdl/pub/pc/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/43y6632_05.pdf

    You would also benefit from adding the correct decal over the BlueTooth
    status indicator lamp to be able to see when the card is powered up/down.

    I recommend you go USB.

    Tony

    Anthony R. Gold, Jan 11, 2011