    Leigh-Anne

    --
    This email have bee check with Norton Anti-Virus 2003
    Leigh-Anne \(LA\), Aug 5, 2003

  2. Leigh-Anne \(LA\)

    Courseyauto Guest

    Which Chipset intel 865 or 875, is the best to use, i cant see what the main
    difference is between them.

    I plan to get a P4 3GHz 800MHz, to plug in with 1GB of DDR memory, I will
    NOT be doing any over clocking, the main purpose of the machine will be
    Video editing and DVD mastering of Home Videos.

    I like the look ASUS P4P800 board, I dont need firewire as this is already
    on the Video capture card.

    Any info would be thankful

    Thx

    Leigh-Anne

    You need the Gigabyte KNXP motherboard,Dual DDR,dual bios,dual
    raid IDE and SATA which will help with video editing,3.0c cpu with
    hyperthreading and XP pro. Motherboard is $213 at new egg.
    DOUG
    Courseyauto, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Leigh-Anne \(LA\)

    LiveWire Guest

    > Which Chipset intel 865 or 875, is the best to use, i cant see what the
    main
    > difference is between them.

    I believe the major difference is Performance Acceleration Technology (PAT).

    http://anandtech.com/chipsets/showdoc.html?i=1811&p=4

    My personal opinion is to go for the 865. I don't think the slight
    difference in performance is going to be noticeable or worth the extra money

    --
    LiveWire
    LiveWire, Aug 5, 2003
  4. On Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:02:54 +0000 (UTC), "Leigh-Anne \(LA\)"
    <> wrote:

    >Which Chipset intel 865 or 875, is the best to use, i cant see what the main
    >difference is between them.
    >
    >I plan to get a P4 3GHz 800MHz, to plug in with 1GB of DDR memory, I will
    >NOT be doing any over clocking, the main purpose of the machine will be
    >Video editing and DVD mastering of Home Videos.
    >
    >I like the look ASUS P4P800 board, I dont need firewire as this is already
    >on the Video capture card.
    >
    >Any info would be thankful

    Get the 865 board. The 875 adds PAT (a performance enhancing scheme of
    memory addressing) and support for ECC memory, but that's it. It costs
    a lot more, though. I have the P4P800 and it's a nice board.

    Jacque_Strapp, Aug 6, 2003
  5. Leigh-Anne \(LA\)

    NT Canuck Guest

    "Jacque_Strapp" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Get the 865 board. The 875 adds PAT (a performance enhancing scheme of
    > memory addressing) and support for ECC memory, but that's it. It costs
    > a lot more, though. I have the P4P800 and it's a nice board.

    Hi Leigh-Anne,

    The P4P800 i865 does have a PAT version...called MAM,
    but I found leaving mam set to automatic (means off) and
    setting the "performance" to "normal"...had the best
    (and most compatible) boost for ram speed and over-all
    system response. I am using the BIOS 008 version as this
    was not an enabled feature in the default BIOS w/board.
    From 5-20% boost with this setting/bios compared to stock.

    The performance setting "turbo" is too agressive for most
    ram as it set the timings to "2 , 2, 2, 6" whereas most
    ddr400 comes stock with "3 , 4, 4, 8" ram timings, but if
    you have expensive DDR400 (pc3200 or pc3500) then
    you might get away with turbo setting.

    Oh yeah...the i875 board should have the Intel one gb
    network which uses the built in CSA channel instead of
    PCI (the i865's 3com), a promise raid instead of the via
    raid...and optional ecc ram (more for server duty).
    (always double-check at point of sale..they change...)

    hth

    --
    'Seek and ye shall find'
    NT Canuck
    NT Canuck, Aug 6, 2003
  6. Leigh-Anne \(LA\)

    John Guest

    If you are going to buy an Asus board, I'd research the new P4C800-E. It's
    newer than the P4C800 and P4P800, and I haven't seem too many issues
    reported here yet. Hopefully that's because it's a 2nd generation board.

    John, Aug 6, 2003
  7. On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:31:47 GMT, "NT Canuck" <>
    wrote:

    >"Jacque_Strapp" <> wrote in message news:...
    >
    >> Get the 865 board. The 875 adds PAT (a performance enhancing scheme of
    >> memory addressing) and support for ECC memory, but that's it. It costs
    >> a lot more, though. I have the P4P800 and it's a nice board.

    >Hi Leigh-Anne,
    >
    >The P4P800 i865 does have a PAT version...called MAM,
    >but I found leaving mam set to automatic (means off) and
    >setting the "performance" to "normal"...had the best
    >(and most compatible) boost for ram speed and over-all
    >system response. I am using the BIOS 008 version as this
    >was not an enabled feature in the default BIOS w/board.
    >From 5-20% boost with this setting/bios compared to stock.

    MAM only works at a 1:1 memory speed / FSB ratio anyway, so you have
    to turn it off to overclock.

    >Oh yeah...the i875 board should have the Intel one gb
    >network which uses the built in CSA channel instead of
    >PCI (the i865's 3com), a promise raid instead of the via
    >raid...and optional ecc ram (more for server duty).
    >(always double-check at point of sale..they change...)

    The CSA LAN and RAID controller are specific to the motherboard, not
    the chipset. The i865 chipset can be outfitted with an Intel Gigabit
    CSA LAN chip (I think Abit makes one that has it). The only built-in
    RAID in the 865 or 875 chipset is that built into the ICH5R
    southbridge, any other RAID controllers are added by the motherboard
    maker.
    Jacque_Strapp, Aug 6, 2003
  8. Leigh-Anne \(LA\)

    NT Canuck Guest

    "Jacque_Strapp" <> wrote in message news:...

    > MAM only works at a 1:1 memory speed / FSB ratio anyway,
    > so you have to turn it off to overclock.

    I haven't been overclocking, but I did several tests with the
    memory/mam/performance settings and w/stability.
    The best scores (stable) seemed tobe just using the
    performance option and 2.5, 3, 3, 6 was a bit quicker
    for ram tests but not in realtime applications or fps in
    any heavy cpu games...so I left the ram speed at "spd".

    Actually...I am rather surprised at the power and speed
    of both the mainboard and processor (using a p4 2.6c).
    Over 10% better figures in fps and memory scores than
    I was hoping for... and at stock ram/processor settings.
    12,396 in 3dmark 2001se and ati 9500pro w/stock bios.
    13,120 ------------------------ w/008 bios and "perf" option (normal).

    > The CSA LAN and RAID controller are specific to the motherboard, not
    > the chipset. The i865 chipset can be outfitted with an Intel Gigabit
    > CSA LAN chip (I think Abit makes one that has it). The only built-in
    > RAID in the 865 or 875 chipset is that built into the ICH5R
    > southbridge, any other RAID controllers are added by the motherboard
    > maker.

    Of course I was limiting to the Asus line, but spec's can change also.

    I did get the p4p800 deluxe (for few dollars more is raid and fw).
    BUT...I didn't notice that there wasn't a joystick output on boards
    external connectors at the back panel....you have to ASK and pay
    for a rear slot (pc case) joystick connector that will hook to a slot
    on the mainboard (then turn it on inside the BIOS). Since I do have
    a few flight simulators (and 2 flight sticks/yokes) that is a must.

    thx Jacque!

    NT Canuck, Aug 6, 2003