Which drivers for GF2/Ti?

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by de Moni, Feb 5, 2005.

  1. de Moni

    de Moni Guest

    Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
    and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
    by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!

    UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
    makes playing quite impossible.

    C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
    flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
    belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
    showing just plain white.

    Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
    dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
    no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.

    So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
    Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
    using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
    CDs.

    de Moni, Feb 5, 2005

  2. de Moni

    deimos Guest

    de Moni wrote:
    > Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
    > and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
    > by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
    >
    > UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
    > makes playing quite impossible.
    >
    > C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
    > flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
    > belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
    > showing just plain white.
    >
    > Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
    > dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
    > no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
    >
    > So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
    > Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
    > using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
    > CDs.

    Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
    software level support for any DX version.

    If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
    your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
    Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or aggressive
    memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard chipset, like
    KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.

    Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
    several 3 things:

    1. Overclocking
    2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
    3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).

    deimos, Feb 6, 2005

  3. de Moni

    Robert Gault Guest

    deimos wrote:
    > de Moni wrote:
    >
    >> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
    >> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
    >> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
    >>
    >> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
    >> makes playing quite impossible.
    >>
    >> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
    >> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
    >> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
    >> showing just plain white.
    >>
    >> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
    >> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
    >> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
    >>
    >> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
    >> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
    >> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
    >> CDs.
    >>

    > Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
    > software level support for any DX version.
    >
    > If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
    > your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
    > Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or aggressive
    > memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard chipset, like
    > KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.
    >
    > Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
    > several 3 things:
    >
    > 1. Overclocking
    > 2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
    > 3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).

    You keep saying that but you should read the threads on the nZone
    forums. There are many reports of 66.94 (official nVidia release) not
    working for any Win98 system and no reports of anyone having success.

    Ex. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1568

    Robert Gault, Feb 6, 2005
  4. de Moni

    deimos Guest

    Robert Gault wrote:
    > deimos wrote:
    >
    >> de Moni wrote:
    >>
    >>> Those who are saying that ATI's drivers suck, then come
    >>> and see screwed up graphics of my GF2 Titanium powered
    >>> by the latest 66.93-drivers by NVidia!
    >>>
    >>> UT2003: Every goddamn thing in level starts to flicker and
    >>> makes playing quite impossible.
    >>>
    >>> C&C Generals: Every goddamn vehicle and building is white,
    >>> flags are white and there's no way to tell what units/buldings
    >>> belongs to who. Areas where should be color marks are
    >>> showing just plain white.
    >>>
    >>> Battlezone2: Radar doesn't show shapes of the terrain, only
    >>> dots (units). No damage bars when I'm shooting enemy and
    >>> no line between command menu and unit I'm commanding.
    >>>
    >>> So, what driver to use to get everything work correctly?
    >>> Would be absolute pain to download every driver set
    >>> using dial-up and I don't have NVidia-drivers anywhere on
    >>> CDs.
    >>>

    >> Use the latest official drivers. They'll work just fine and provide
    >> software level support for any DX version.
    >>
    >> If you're experiencing strange artifacting, take a very close look at
    >> your system configuration and chipset bugs. For example, whether
    >> Sideband Addressing and Fast-Writes might be affecting it, or
    >> aggressive memory settings, or a bad chipset driver (i.e. motherboard
    >> chipset, like KT333, etc) with known incompatibilities.
    >>
    >> Anytime I've ever had a problem with artifacts it's always been one of
    >> several 3 things:
    >>
    >> 1. Overclocking
    >> 2. Chipset driver (e.g. "MWQ" bug on a KT133a, AGP timings)
    >> 3. Configuration (FastWrites on in BIOS, but GPU BIOS does not support).
    >>

    > You keep saying that but you should read the threads on the nZone
    > forums. There are many reports of 66.94 (official nVidia release) not
    > working for any Win98 system and no reports of anyone having success.
    >
    > Ex. http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=1568

    I didn't see Win98 in the original thread. Also, such an OS which is
    inherently unstable and prone to errors is not a very good platform to
    diagnose bugs.

    Additionally, if it were _one_ release only (66.94), then the problem
    could easily be traced to it, but I have not seen that common cause.
    Many of the posts relate to older versions or unspecified ones.

    So to diagnose this particular situation, 'de Moni' should revert to a
    previous WHQL driver version and start from there. All previous
    releases are available on NVIDIA's ftp: ftp://download.nvidia.com

    61.77, 56.72, and 52.16 might be a good place to start.

    Now if it still doesn't work and reproduces the same errors/artfiacts
    without respect to the driver version, you have to look deeper into
    what's causing it.

    It's very possible that the Win98 driver is incompatible with many cards
    or it's a bad release (not all that many people use a Win9x system much
    anymore so it might be understandable for less regression and error
    testing to have occurred). Sometimes AGP settings are _strictly_
    enforced through the driver itself and this may conflict with Win98's
    AGP subsystem or chipset drivers for Win98.

    But you shouldn't just automatically assume it's one component without
    further inspection.

    deimos, Feb 6, 2005
  5. de Moni

    de Moni Guest

    "deimos" <> wrote
    > So to diagnose this particular situation, 'de Moni' should revert to a
    > previous WHQL driver version and start from there. All previous releases
    > are available on NVIDIA's ftp: ftp://download.nvidia.com

    Yeah, I already downloaded 44.03's and they seem to work
    perfectly. Great drivers, NVidia! :)

    de Moni, Feb 6, 2005
  6. de Moni

    YanquiDawg Guest

    I was playing Gothic 2 with the 66.93's. Everything was flickering and
    flashing. Went back to 44.03(Windows 2k).. Cleared it up.

    YanquiDawg, Feb 7, 2005
  7. de Moni

    DaveW Guest

    I would recommend going to the NVidia Web site and trying the 45.23 driver,
    or you may even need an earlier one. The newest drivers were NOT designed
    to be stable with that older card.

    --
    DaveW

    DaveW, Feb 8, 2005
  8. de Moni

    de Moni Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote
    > The newest drivers were NOT designed to be stable with that older card.

    If that's NVidia's official statement, then why the hell
    don't they remove support for older cards completely
    from the latest drivers? I would expect the latest driver
    set to work correctly with all the supported hardware
    and I see GF2 Ti is also on the 66.93's supported-list.

    de Moni, Feb 8, 2005
  9. de Moni

    Robert Gault Guest

    de Moni wrote:
    > "DaveW" <> wrote
    >
    >>The newest drivers were NOT designed to be stable with that older card.

    > If that's NVidia's official statement, then why the hell
    > don't they remove support for older cards completely
    > from the latest drivers? I would expect the latest driver
    > set to work correctly with all the supported hardware
    > and I see GF2 Ti is also on the 66.93's supported-list.

    That is not an official nVidia statement, in fact just the opposite.
    nVidia claims complete compatibility for any listed card. Users have
    found that many beta drivers and some official release drivers don't
    work as advertised.

    Since you are trying 66.93 you probably have WinXP or other NT system.
    You will have much better luck than those of us with Win95 or Win98.
    However, there are reasonably recent drivers that work with the Ti-4200.
    On my Win98SE system the most recent driver that works acceptably with
    the Ti-4200 is 61.76. There should be an XP/NT release around that
    number which will be good for you.

    Robert Gault, Feb 8, 2005