    Fan can be no larger than 55mm.

    So I'm looing for a Duron that has very low heat output !

    Thanks
    JonH, Jan 7, 2004

  2. JonH

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:

    > Which Duron has low heat output ?
    >
    > 1200
    > 1400
    > 1600
    > 1800
    > ?

    It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
    680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
    higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
    one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
    it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004

  3. JonH

    Immuno Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:
    >
    > > Which Duron has low heat output ?
    > >
    > > 1200
    > > 1400
    > > 1600
    > > 1800
    > > ?
    > >

    > It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
    > 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
    > higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
    > one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
    > it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.
    >
    > --
    > http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

    I bought a couple of (cheap) Durons before Christmas. I actually bought them
    to go into "ultra cheap" but reasonable performance boxes for friends who
    I'm encouraging not to be on the wrong side of the "digital divide" - but I
    digress...

    So I had a "play" with them over the holiday. They were ADUDHD1600DLV1C 1600
    Durons @ sub 30 quid ($50). Got them up to 2100Ghz (actual not AMD+ numbers)
    and still at sub 40 deg C, and only at 1.5v! (did I mention the big HSF?)

    They were the new GREEN lobotomized Thoroughbred cored Durons.

    I would imagine that the 14/6/800 ones all have similar characteristics.

    So in answer to your question - if you steer clear of the Morgan core fellas
    and go for the green Thoroughbreds, temperature ought not to be an issue.

    Pete
    Immuno, Jan 7, 2004
  4. JonH

    mrdancer Guest

    "Wes Newell" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:15:42 +0000, JonH wrote:
    >
    > > Which Duron has low heat output ?
    > >
    > > 1200
    > > 1400
    > > 1600
    > > 1800
    > > ?
    > >

    > It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth cpuid
    > 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
    > higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the slowest
    > one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then underclock
    > it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.

    Isn't the B core an Athlon? I thought the Durons all had basically the same
    core (spitfire or morgan). I think the Athlons were K7(Pluto) and K75
    (Orion), Athlon T-bird B and C, then Athlon XP Palomino, then Athlon XP
    T-bred A and B, then Athlon XP Barton, etc.

    Btw,
    I was just over at tomshardware reading about AMD's stepping utility. If
    your mobo's BIOS allows that utility to function, your Clawhammer 2200mhz
    (89W) can run at 800mhz (35W) when you're not stressing the system. Cool.
    :รพ
    Link:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040106/athlon64_3400-02.html
    mrdancer, Jan 7, 2004
  5. JonH

    JonH Guest

    Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the newer Durons ??

    I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR, and
    Windows 2003 Server as a test server..

    The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
    so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !

    Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.

    Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
    case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please

    Thanks

    JonH

    JonH, Jan 7, 2004
  6. JonH

    Frank Hagan Guest

    "JonH" <jonh@no spam.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone know of a UK supplier of the newer Durons ??
    >
    > I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR,

    and
    > Windows 2003 Server as a test server..
    >
    > The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
    > so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !
    >
    > Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
    > case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > JonH
    >

    > On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 20:57:24 +0000 (UTC), "Immuno" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"Wes Newell" <> wrote in message

    > >> It will depend on the core. There's 2 models of the 1600. one iwth

    cpuid
    > >> 680 and one 681. the 681 will be cooler running, and also clock a lot
    > >> higher. If they all had the same core, which they don't, then the

    slowest
    > >> one would be the coolest. I'd try and find a 1600 B core, then

    underclock
    > >> it, and more importantly, undervolt it, if needed.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
    > >> http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.html

    > >I bought a couple of (cheap) Durons before Christmas. I actually bought

    them
    > >to go into "ultra cheap" but reasonable performance boxes for friends who
    > >I'm encouraging not to be on the wrong side of the "digital divide" - but

    > >digress...
    > >
    > >So I had a "play" with them over the holiday. They were ADUDHD1600DLV1C

    1600
    > >Durons @ sub 30 quid ($50). Got them up to 2100Ghz (actual not AMD+

    numbers)
    > >and still at sub 40 deg C, and only at 1.5v! (did I mention the big HSF?)
    > >
    > >They were the new GREEN lobotomized Thoroughbred cored Durons.
    > >
    > >I would imagine that the 14/6/800 ones all have similar characteristics.
    > >
    > >So in answer to your question - if you steer clear of the Morgan core

    fellas
    > >and go for the green Thoroughbreds, temperature ought not to be an issue.
    > >
    > >Pete

    Try one of these: Akasa AK 350 Low Profile Cooler at

    http://secure.addonsonline.co.uk/addon/default.htm

    Not too expensive either!

    FRH
    Frank Hagan, Jan 7, 2004
  7. JonH

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 21:07:27 +0000, mrdancer wrote:

    > Isn't the B core an Athlon? I thought the Durons all had basically the same
    > core (spitfire or morgan). I think the Athlons were K7(Pluto) and K75
    > (Orion), Athlon T-bird B and C, then Athlon XP Palomino, then Athlon XP
    > T-bred A and B, then Athlon XP Barton, etc.

    The 1600 Durons sre Athlons with part of the L2 cache disabled. Some are
    tbred A cores and others are Tbred B cores. I think some of the 1400's are
    too. Never heard of the 1800 Duron.

    Wes Newell, Jan 7, 2004
  8. JonH wrote:
    > Which Duron has low heat output ?
    >
    > 1200
    > 1400
    > 1600
    > 1800
    > ?
    >
    > I'm looking at building a PC with a small slim case so the CPU Heatsink &
    > Fan can be no larger than 55mm.
    >
    > So I'm looing for a Duron that has very low heat output !
    >
    > Thanks

    The bigger problem with a slim line is case ventilation. If yours is like
    mine, and has no fan other than the one in the PSU, then the heat build up
    inside can be horrendous. I'm about to cut a blow hole in mine for a 90mm,
    slow RPM (so it's silent), vent fan, unless I think of some other way to
    force some ventilation through it.

    Anyway, here's one that just fits...

    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?DEPA=&sumit=Go&description=35-114-011&searchdepa=0

    HeatSink Material: Copper C1020
    Nominal Speed(RPM): 4500
    Max Air Flow:(CFM): 17.87
    Noise(dBA): 34.15

    And a 1U for even tighter space margin...

    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=FAN-A1765&c=pw

    Material: All Copper
    Fan Speed: 5300 RPM
    Max. Air Flow: 22.3 CFM
    Noise: 37 DBA

    The larger one is quieter and has the advantage that you could swap a more
    powerful fan on it if you wanted to later on but there's no 'spare' room
    and you might want to think about how much fan air intake clearance there
    is above that 55mm spec you gave.
    David Maynard, Jan 7, 2004

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/amd_duron.html

    > I'm looking at running it on a ASROCK K7VM4 Motherboard, with 256 DDR, and
    > Windows 2003 Server as a test server..
    >
    > The case is from a GigaByte FB Barebones system, this is a very slim case,
    > so the HeatSink and FAN have to be less than 55mm HIGH !
    >
    > Originally this case had a P4 CPU with the standard Intel HeatSink & Fan.
    >
    > Can anyone recommend a Good HeatSink & Fan setup that will work in this
    > case with the Duron CPU ?? UK Please

    An Akasa AK-350 low profile CPU Cooler (Socket A) should be ok as it's
    only 25mm high

    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Akasa_119.html

    I don't work for them by the way. I've just had good service from them
    in the past.
    James Grabowski, Jan 8, 2004
  10. JonH

    JonH Guest

    Thanks.. for all the links..

    Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Duron Throughbred ??

    Cheers

    JonH, Jan 8, 2004
  11. JonH wrote:
    > Thanks.. for all the links..
    >
    > Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Duron Throughbred ??
    >
    > Cheers

    Sorry, I'm not familiar with UK suppliers.

    Having just finished the 92mm fan mount in mine I'm curious about your
    case. What model is it, what are the dimensions, and what is the PSU power
    capacity?

    Mine is the linkworld 616, smallest thing I could find that'll take a mATX
    motherboard (just barely), and those have a custom 150W PSU.

    I went to all that work to keep MY fans quiet so now the PSU is the noise
    maker.

    David Maynard, Jan 8, 2004
  12. JonH

    Immuno Guest

    > Thanks.. for all the links..
    >
    > Anyone know of a UK supplier of the Duron Throughbred ??
    >
    > Cheers

    To put you out of you misery...

    I got my Durons from eBuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/home/

    The link for the 1600 Duron is
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=52134

    Like I said its just sub-thirty quid inc. VAT. These guys are pile it high
    sell it cheap merchants. As a customer you have access (we are led to
    believe) to the same database as their staff. So if you have a query don't
    expect any helpful insight from the staff - not that you can ever get to
    *speak* to a human. For instance the picture is wrong in the link above -
    they are shipping the green processors not the older grey/brown ones, and
    the 1400's they say are the 200 FSB ones - they are not, they are the newer
    266 (green) ones.....

    They have some exceptional deals - but can have dire aftersales service.

    Check whatever you buy within seven days and reject whatever your not happy
    with under the "Distance Selling Regulations.........."

    HTH

    Pete
    Immuno, Jan 8, 2004