    Also, which provides better dvd/video playback performance?

    Thanks,
    Ken

    intx, Jun 5, 2004

  2. intx

    Rick Guest

    "intx" <> wrote in message news:Xns94FFC99E304723948230948325@66.185.95.104...
    > I've noticed the G400 series are no longer considered supported
    > (production) on the matrox website. Only the G450 series and higher, or the
    > quad series cards. I'm guessing the drivers won't get any updates.
    >
    > However some people claim the G400MAX card is better than the G450. Which
    > seems to make sense.. although most of these people notice the performance
    > in games.
    >
    > Would I be better off getting a G450 if I don't game? Or the G400 MAX?
    >
    > Also, which provides better dvd/video playback performance?

    The G400 Max has better image quality and dvd playback
    quality (because of its external TVO encoder), along with a
    wider memory bus (128 bit vs. 64 bit for the G450). The
    only case where the G450 is preferable is if you want to run
    a secondary monitor at resolutions over 1280x1024 or at
    high refresh rates. See:
    http://www.matrox.com/mga/archive_story/dec2000/work_g450vsg400.cfm

    G400 driver support isn't an issue with OS's up to and
    including Win2003. Longhorn support might be an issue, but
    for what these cards cost nowadays it's not as though you're
    making a huge investment.

    Rick

    Rick, Jun 5, 2004