Which laptop to choose: Lenovo ThinkPad R60, Lenovo 3000 N100 orHP Compaq Business Notebook nx9420?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Jef Driesen, Jan 17, 2007.

  1. Jef Driesen

    Jef Driesen Guest

    For my work, I'm looking for a laptop with an Intel Core 2 Duo
    processor. It will be used mainly as a mobile replacement of a desktop
    system for scientific research (image processing, programming,...). So
    it's not intended to be used for gaming. (I also want to be able to use
    the laptop for office and multimedia applications (playing DVD and other
    videos, pictures,...) at home, but that is not the primary task.)

    I narrowed down my search to only three candidates. But now I don't know
    which one too choose. (The prices are almost the same.)

    Lenovo ThinkPad R60
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz
    - 15" TFT 1400 x 1050 (SXGA+)
    - ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 128 MB

    I read everywhere that the ThinkPad line has a very good reputation and
    a very solid construction. That could be important because the laptop
    has to travel a lot between home and work (by bike and train). But the
    other features are less compared to the next two.

    Lenovo 3000 N100
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 1.83 GHz
    - 15.4" TFT 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+)
    - NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 TurboCache 128 MB

    This is a very similar system to the ThinkPad, but does not seem to have
    the same construction advantage (or am I wrong here?). On the other side
    it has an nVidia card (which is slightly lower rated, but I'm a little
    bit biased towards nVidia, because all my current systems are nVidia and
    because of the better linux support) and a widescreen TFT.

    HP Compaq Business Notebook nx9420
    - Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 2 GHz
    - 17" TFT 1680 x 1050 (WSXGA+)
    - ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 256 MB

    This one also looks interesting (fastest processor and fastest graphics
    of the three), but has an ATI card. I'm not so sure about the 17" TFT.
    I've never worked with a laptop before, but I can imagine the 17" screen
    and the numeric keypad are nice to have for daily work. But its larger
    size makes transportation more difficult I guess.
    Jef Driesen, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Jef Driesen

    Phil Sherman Guest

    Re: Which laptop to choose: Lenovo ThinkPad R60, Lenovo 3000 N100or HP Compaq Business Notebook nx9420?

    I believe the "Turbocache" name means that 128mb of the video memory is
    shared with the processor. The video card has another 128mb dedicated to
    it.

    Check for any differences in the warranty between the systems. Price
    them out with equivalent extended warranty to at least three years.

    Check if only one of the Lenovo systems has a trackpoint. I've used one
    for a long time and find it much easier to use that the touchpads that
    most laptops use today. Other users don't like them at all.

    Weight and battery life are other factors to consider. If you plan to
    use the system for trips (ie. flying cross counry) you should check the
    battery options for ways to extend run time when using batteries.

    Phil Sherman

    Phil Sherman, Jan 19, 2007