Whistling noise from MB especially while scrolling

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by Bill, Jul 30, 2010.

  1. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Hi!

    Below is my basic configuration. It's a new machine:

    Window7-64 bit w/support for 32 bit apps.
    Logitech G5 Laser mouse (with tail)
    Intel 860 CPU
    GA-P55A-UD4P MB
    GV-NT98TSL Graphics (Geforce 9800GT, Silent-Cell, 1-GB)
    Corsair 750HX PSU
    Intel X25M SSD

    The machine is usually quiet until it plays audio (even if mute is on),
    say with Windows Media Center. Then there will often be some high-end
    organ like/whistling sounds in the background. Again, this is not audio,
    these sounds are coming out of the case. The offending noises can most
    easily demonstrated by scroll images, say at Google.com, and are also
    created while using the mouse with the Google SketchUp Program.

    I think the problem may be a little less offensive since I plugged my
    mouse into the front of the case instead of directly into the MB (back
    of the case), I'm not sure.

    Since the noises basically start following the use of audio, I thought
    that it might be an audio driver. I am using Realtek High Definition
    audio drivers that are dated 12/8/2009. According to Windows these
    drivers are up to date.

    I have tried several BIOS changes (disabling C1E, for instance), but am
    not having much success.

    I thought of buying a PCI USB card for my mouse, as, according to the
    schematic in the manual, the USB on the MB uses the PCI Express bus.
    But, if the GPU is causing the noises then this won't help.

    I'm running out of ideas...thank you for your thoughts or suggestions!

    Bill

    BTW, when something like this used to happen with an older system I had,
    I used to reduce the "recording volume" (or something along those
    lines). Audio adjustment seems to work different in Windows7. I am
    not using the "line in" or "record" inputs on the MB.
    Bill, Jul 30, 2010

  2. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following message:

    From Device Manager, I see

    -- USB controller, no driver found
    -- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found

    Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
    what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
    printer--and they seem to work.

    The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...

    Bill, Jul 30, 2010

  3. Bill

    Paul Guest

    Bill wrote:

    > Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following message:
    >
    > From Device Manager, I see
    >
    > -- USB controller, no driver found
    > -- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found
    >
    > Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
    > what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
    > printer--and they seem to work.
    >
    > The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...

    When you install, after Windows is finished installing, you can look
    at your motherboard CD for drivers.

    Adding chipset drivers, should allow resources in the chipset to be
    recognized. That might include, for example, announcing the USB ports
    to the system in such a way, that the built-in Windows USB drivers pick
    them up.

    The Marvell thing is probably on the motherboard CD as well.

    *******

    Whistling could come from:

    1) Vcore regulator coils.
    2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
    3) Power supply coils.

    Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
    While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
    at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
    damp it out completely.

    I've heard similar sounds here, only it will be the
    "hissing" type, where there isn't a definite tone to the
    sound. And that can come and go, be sensitive to displaying
    images on the screen, and so on.

    In terms of directionality, I've had poor luck with picking out
    the exact item responsible for the sound. That to me, is the
    main problem, the uncertainty about which source it might be.

    In reading the reviews on Newegg for your power supply, a few people
    mentioned the purchase of that supply, was to improve the noise
    that was coming from a previous purchase. Something about their
    previous supply, causing the video card to make noise.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 30, 2010
  4. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >>
    >> Here is some further info, I determined since I sent the following
    >> message:
    >>
    >> From Device Manager, I see
    >>
    >> -- USB controller, no driver found
    >> -- Marvell 91xx ATA device, no driver found
    >>
    >> Windows can't find drivers for the "devices" above (not sure exactly
    >> what they correspond to). I just have a USB, mouse, keyboard and
    >> printer--and they seem to work.
    >>
    >> The "whistling problem" seems to come and go...
    >>

    > When you install, after Windows is finished installing, you can look
    > at your motherboard CD for drivers.
    >
    > Adding chipset drivers, should allow resources in the chipset to be
    > recognized. That might include, for example, announcing the USB ports
    > to the system in such a way, that the built-in Windows USB drivers pick
    > them up.
    >
    > The Marvell thing is probably on the motherboard CD as well.

    You were right! The USB device was for USB 3.0 (which I didn't think I
    needed yet) and the Marvell was for a driver I started to install and
    didn't finish. I finished installing it and the Device Manager is happy.

    > *******
    >
    > Whistling could come from:
    >
    > 1) Vcore regulator coils.
    > 2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
    > 3) Power supply coils.
    >
    > Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
    > While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
    > at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
    > damp it out completely.
    >
    > I've heard similar sounds here, only it will be the
    > "hissing" type, where there isn't a definite tone to the
    > sound. And that can come and go, be sensitive to displaying
    > images on the screen, and so on.
    >
    > In terms of directionality, I've had poor luck with picking out
    > the exact item responsible for the sound. That to me, is the
    > main problem, the uncertainty about which source it might be.

    I'll keep searching for it.

    > In reading the reviews on Newegg for your power supply, a few people
    > mentioned the purchase of that supply, was to improve the noise
    > that was coming from a previous purchase. Something about their
    > previous supply, causing the video card to make noise.

    I chose the PSU I did because of it's quality and especially because of
    "low noise" performance. I don't think the PSU is making the noise, but
    I can't say for sure yet. The problem seems to correspond more to the
    GPU. Thank you for your help!

    Bill, Jul 30, 2010
  5. Bill

    Bill Guest

    > Paul wrote:

    >> *******
    >>
    >> Whistling could come from:
    >>
    >> 1) Vcore regulator coils.
    >> 2) GPU regulator circuits/coils.
    >> 3) Power supply coils.
    >>
    >> Any switching power converter might be a potential culprit.
    >> While placing silicon rubber on the coils, might be an attempt
    >> at a solution, there is no guarantee that would be sufficient to
    >> damp it out completely.

    Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a PCI
    slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the schematic
    diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe Bus.

    I'll get someone to create the noise for me, and I'll put my head in the
    case and track down where it is coming from! Maybe I can literally
    put my finger on it!

    Thanks,
    Bill
    Bill, Jul 30, 2010
  6. Bill

    Paul Guest

    Bill wrote:

    <<snip>>

    > Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a PCI
    > slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the schematic
    > diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe Bus.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bill

    I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
    A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
    reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
    of power, is coming from the same place.

    Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
    is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.

    I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
    dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
    can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
    video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
    gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
    a cheesy single phase converter).

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 30, 2010
  7. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Paul wrote:
    > Bill wrote:
    >>

    > <<snip>>
    >
    >> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a
    >> PCI slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the
    >> schematic diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe
    >> Bus.
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Bill

    > I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
    > A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
    > reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
    > of power, is coming from the same place.
    >
    > Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
    > is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
    >
    > I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
    > dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
    > can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
    > video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
    > gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
    > a cheesy single phase converter).
    >
    > Paul

    Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
    the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
    while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
    analysis. Thanks for your help!

    Bill
    Bill, Jul 30, 2010
  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Below is my basic configuration. It's a new machine:
    >
    > Window7-64 bit w/support for 32 bit apps.
    > Logitech G5 Laser mouse (with tail)
    > Intel 860 CPU
    > GA-P55A-UD4P MB
    > GV-NT98TSL Graphics (Geforce 9800GT, Silent-Cell, 1-GB)
    > Corsair 750HX PSU
    > Intel X25M SSD
    >

    > The machine is usually quiet until it plays audio (even if mute is on),
    > say with Windows Media Center. Then there will often be some high-end
    > organ like/whistling sounds in the background. Again, this is not audio,
    > these sounds are coming out of the case. The offending noises can most
    > easily demonstrated by scroll images, say at Google.com, and are also
    > created while using the mouse with the Google SketchUp Program.

    FWIW, I swapped my GPU with another fanless Gigabyte GPU (7600GT) I own,
    and the problem persists. It's really like a roller-coaster as far as
    the intensity or the noises created. It occurs whenever the computer has
    to do something that "challenges it" at all (such as start-up),
    scrolling, etc. I expect you are correct about the capacitors on the MB
    being the culprit. Thanks.

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 2, 2010
  9. Bill

    tanstafl Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:27:55 -0400, Bill <> wrote:

    >Paul wrote:
    >> Bill wrote:
    >>>

    >> <<snip>>
    >>
    >>> Do you think that putting the mouse on a USB connection powered by a
    >>> PCI slot might take care of the "whistling"? According to the
    >>> schematic diagram in the manual, the PCI bus is separate from the PCIe
    >>> Bus.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> Bill

    >> I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
    >> A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
    >> reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
    >> of power, is coming from the same place.
    >>
    >> Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
    >> is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
    >>
    >> I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
    >> dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
    >> can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
    >> video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
    >> gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
    >> a cheesy single phase converter).
    >>
    >> Paul

    >Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
    >the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
    >while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
    >analysis. Thanks for your help!
    >
    >Bill

    Bill, stick it in your ear ol' chap! 'Tis one of the few times in
    polite society you can offer that exhortation in a friendly manner :)
    Get a long shafted screwdriver, stick the handle in your ear and probe
    various spots to track down the sound source. 1st wrap the shaft with
    electrical tape for safety. It often (not always) works pretty well
    in localizing a sound.

    You must have a teeny head or a whale of a case to execute your plan
    of putting your head inside the case.

    If you probe on an inductor or other mobo components, it would be a
    good idea to put a small piece of tape on the blade to avoid creating
    novel circuits in case the screwdriver slips.
    ----
    Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    Have the best day possible - all things considered
    tanstafl, Aug 2, 2010
  10. Bill

    Bill Guest

    tanstafl wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 08:27:55 -0400, Bill<> wrote:
    >
    >> Paul wrote:
    >>> Bill wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> <<snip>>

    >>> I don't think it'll make a difference, but you can try it if you want.
    >>> A PCI USB2 card won't be that expensive, even if bought locally. The
    >>> reason I say that, is eventually, the +5V or +5VSB used as a source
    >>> of power, is coming from the same place.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have another video card you could test with ? If the noise
    >>> is coming from video, swapping cards might make a difference.
    >>>
    >>> I have a PCI video card, that I keep for emergencies (like debugging
    >>> dead video), and maybe if you have something like that, you
    >>> can test the theory that the video card is doing it. A PCI
    >>> video card would do two things - it draws less power than a
    >>> gamer card, it also has a different converter design (mine has
    >>> a cheesy single phase converter).
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    >> Thanks for the idea. There is a Gigabyte 7600GT (silent-cell) GPU in
    >> the computer I recently gave to my wife. Maybe she'll let me borrow it
    >> while she's asleep! : ) I'll report what I find after I do more
    >> analysis. Thanks for your help!
    >>
    >> Bill

    > Bill, stick it in your ear ol' chap! 'Tis one of the few times in
    > polite society you can offer that exhortation in a friendly manner :)
    > Get a long shafted screwdriver, stick the handle in your ear and probe
    > various spots to track down the sound source. 1st wrap the shaft with
    > electrical tape for safety. It often (not always) works pretty well
    > in localizing a sound.
    >
    > You must have a teeny head or a whale of a case to execute your plan
    > of putting your head inside the case.
    >
    > If you probe on an inductor or other mobo components, it would be a
    > good idea to put a small piece of tape on the blade to avoid creating
    > novel circuits in case the screwdriver slips.
    > ----
    > Pete Gebel pfgebel(deletethis)@crisperiodcom
    > Have the best day possible - all things considered

    Thank you for the idea! I was wondering how to track the source better!
    I can't shrink my head or enlarge my case, but I have a pretty long
    screwdriver. Last time I looked into the case I was pondering getting
    my hair caught in the case fan!

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 2, 2010
  11. Bill

    Bill Guest

    Revelation: Disabling "Auto Fan" in ET6 seems to have fixed the
    problem, at least for now...

    Thank you very much for your assistance!

    Bill
    Bill, Aug 2, 2010