    If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
    come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

    Thank you.

    John Doe, Oct 1, 2006

  2. John Doe

    Venom Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns984FB395870340123456789@207.115.17.102...

    > Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
    > computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
    > mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?
    >
    > If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
    > come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?
    >
    > Thank you.

    Mobo boxes are factory sealed. It is Customs who open them to take a quick
    peek inside the box.

    Venom, Oct 1, 2006

  3. John Doe

    old man Guest

    Strange, all my mobo boxes have been supplied sealed.
    You dont really think Customs are going to open every box in a container do
    you?
    (unless you're in France, which youre not)

    old man, Oct 2, 2006
  4. John Doe

    Venom Guest

    Depending on the stores, some have the gear to reseal the boxes so you think
    you are getting brand new stock. Some don't bother because you get your
    warranty anyhow. Then we have the stores that have a couple of techs out the
    back and when you take a suspect CPU in for warranty they will take the
    matching board out of a new box for testing purposes and when finished they
    will pop it back in the box and put it back on the shelf to be sold. It also
    depends what country you are in as to if you have a thorough Customs service
    or not.
    Bottom line is who gives a rats arse if the box is open or not? Being sealed
    proves nothing simply because you have no idea just who sealed it.

    Venom, Oct 2, 2006
  5. John Doe

    Clint Guest

    Some companies may make sure the BIOS is flashed to the latest version,
    which is a good thing.

    Personally, I think that unless the company has a good reason why your
    product isn't sealed, it would be unacceptable to purchase new equipment
    that's not. Otherwise you could be getting someone else's RMA'd product.
    They should have their own test boards for service work, and they shouldn't
    be selling equipment that's been out a customer's sites already.
    Considering many companies charge a restocking fee anyway, you should be
    getting a price discount for taking someone else's reject.

    Clint

    Clint, Oct 2, 2006
  6. I purchase ASUS products from tier one providers. And I can say without
    exception that all ASUS items come with no seals on the boxes. No shrink
    wrap either. These are retail packages, not OEM. I would venture to guess
    that if you do get ASUS product with a seal, it's either put on by the
    warehouse or by the shop you purchased it from.

    Dan

    Angry American, Oct 2, 2006
  7. John Doe

    Venom Guest

    "Clint" said
    > Some companies may make sure the BIOS is flashed to the latest version,
    > which is a good thing.
    >
    > Personally, I think that unless the company has a good reason why your
    > product isn't sealed, it would be unacceptable to purchase new equipment
    > that's not. Otherwise you could be getting someone else's RMA'd product.
    > They should have their own test boards for service work, and they

    shouldn't
    > be selling equipment that's been out a customer's sites already.
    > Considering many companies charge a restocking fee anyway, you should be
    > getting a price discount for taking someone else's reject.
    >
    > Clint

    I don't know how long your stock is on the shelf for so the factory bios
    gets to be out of date. Maybe it is because we are so close to Asia but ASUS
    boards bought here come with the latest bios. As an aside I reckon if your
    store has to go to the trouble of flashing a bios before selling you a
    motherboard you can bet your nuts you are paying for it somehow.
    I like your quaint theory on returned products though. They are just
    repacked and sent out again after passing a quick boot up test. The other
    thing about dealers opening the boxes to put their warranty stickers on them
    is a bit of a crock too. My favourite computer spare parts shop records the
    boards serial number on your reciept as that is the only true way you can
    keep track of a board. I don't know about other brands of boards as I only
    use ASUS but all ASUS boards and their boxes come with easily readable
    serial numbers. I have watched returned new sticks of ram exchanged because
    the buyer reckond it wouldn't work in his board. This ram is tested and if
    ok goes back into the shelf ram boxes. I think you blokes really need to
    hang around your favourite computer store a bit more to see what really goes
    on there with computer parts.
    As I said previously, a sealed box proves nothing.

    Venom, Oct 2, 2006
  8. John Doe

    Nigel Brooks Guest

    "Venom" <> wrote in message
    > Depending on the stores, some have the gear to reseal the boxes so you
    > think
    > you are getting brand new stock. Some don't bother because you get your
    > warranty anyhow. Then we have the stores that have a couple of techs out
    > the
    > back and when you take a suspect CPU in for warranty they will take the
    > matching board out of a new box for testing purposes and when finished
    > they
    > will pop it back in the box and put it back on the shelf to be sold. It
    > also
    > depends what country you are in as to if you have a thorough Customs
    > service
    > or not.
    > Bottom line is who gives a rats arse if the box is open or not? Being
    > sealed
    > proves nothing simply because you have no idea just who sealed it.

    Thoroughness has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not a Customs
    Service decides to inspect an individual box.

    Customs examinations are mostly based on intelligence. A container of
    motherboards or other merchandise from an established vendor is not going to
    be inspected. A sample might be taken from the container to determine
    whether or not the sample is as described for duty purposes. But it is
    certainly not the case that Customs opens every single item that enters a
    Customs territory.

    More likely, a box is unsealed because it was a return

    --
    Nigel Brooks

    Nigel Brooks, Oct 2, 2006
  9. John Doe

    Mark A Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message

    > Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
    > computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
    > mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?
    >
    > If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
    > come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?
    >
    > Thank you.

    They are not "opened". They were never shrink wrapped to begin with.

    Wal-Mart has started a new program to get suppliers to reduce the amount of
    packaging for products they sell. They have estimated that it will save them
    tens of Billions of dollars per year, a significant portion of which will be
    reduction in energy usage for shipping and the energy needed to make the
    packaging. Maybe you didn't know it, but plastic (including shrink-wrap)
    comes from oil.

    In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes with no
    packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias. If
    you deal with a reputable manufacturer and a reputable retailer, you have
    nothing to worry about.

    Mark A, Oct 2, 2006
  10. John Doe

    Mark A Guest

    "Nigel Brooks" <> wrote in message

    > More likely, a box is unsealed because it was a return

    No. Asus does not shrink-wrap or otherwise seal their MB boxes.

    Most likely the MBs get shipped from China (yes I know Asus is headquartered
    in Taiwan) in bulk, and they put in boxes once the get to the USA. This
    saves on shipping costs.

    Mark A, Oct 2, 2006
  11. John Doe

    Rod Speed Guest

    Mark A <> wrote:
    > "Nigel Brooks" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> More likely, a box is unsealed because it was a return
    >>

    > No. Asus does not shrink-wrap or otherwise seal their MB boxes.
    >
    > Most likely the MBs get shipped from China (yes I know Asus is
    > headquartered in Taiwan) in bulk, and they put in boxes once the get
    > to the USA. This saves on shipping costs.

    Very unlikely indeed.

    Rod Speed, Oct 2, 2006
  12. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Mark A" <> wrote:

    > "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part of a
    >> computer that you would want to know is factory fresh, how come
    >> mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?
    >>
    >> If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory,
    >> how come the company that configures the thing does not seal the
    >> box?
    >>
    >> Thank you.

    > They are not "opened". They were never shrink wrapped to begin
    > with.

    There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line. Maybe
    you can be my subject line writer.

    > Wal-Mart has started a new program to get suppliers to reduce the
    > amount of packaging for products they sell. They have estimated
    > that it will save them tens of Billions of dollars per year, a
    > significant portion of which will be reduction in energy usage for
    > shipping and the energy needed to make the packaging. Maybe you
    > didn't know it, but plastic (including shrink-wrap) comes from
    > oil.

    But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all other stores
    are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.

    > In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes
    > with no packaging at all.

    So you just catch the loaf with your filthy hands? How about all of
    the other people that have fingered your bread, no telling where
    their fingers were before then.

    > Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

    Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

    > If you deal with a reputable manufacturer and a reputable
    > retailer, you have nothing to worry about.

    In my big city, we have very large stores that sell things you've
    probably never even dreamed of. It's a trade-off I can live with.
    Besides, I'm not talking about most things. Most things, electronics
    and tools for example, are coming in bubble packaging (which happens
    to be plastic BTW). I have noticed the local Wal-Mart does have some
    cheap tools on the bottom shelf without packaging, but that's the
    really cheap stuff. Maybe you are more comfortable with really cheap
    stuff.

    By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight? If you
    don't like folks from the United States, turn on headers and avoid
    reading them.

    John Doe, Oct 2, 2006
  13. John Doe

    Angry Dove Guest

    In article <2cYTg.39676$>,
    says...
    > Depending on the stores, some have the gear to reseal the boxes so you think
    > you are getting brand new stock. Some don't bother because you get your
    > warranty anyhow. Then we have the stores that have a couple of techs out the
    > back and when you take a suspect CPU in for warranty they will take the
    > matching board out of a new box for testing purposes and when finished they
    > will pop it back in the box and put it back on the shelf to be sold. It also
    > depends what country you are in as to if you have a thorough Customs service
    > or not.
    > Bottom line is who gives a rats arse if the box is open or not? Being sealed
    > proves nothing simply because you have no idea just who sealed it.
    >

    > "old man" <> wrote in message
    > > Strange, all my mobo boxes have been supplied sealed.
    > > You dont really think Customs are going to open every box in a container

    > do
    > > you?
    > > (unless you're in France, which youre not)
    > >
    > > "Venom" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "John Doe" <> wrote in message

    > > > Mobo boxes are factory sealed. It is Customs who open them to take a

    > quick
    > > > peek inside the box.

    Some computer stores open the packages and put their own sticker on them
    for warranty purposes.

    Angry Dove, Oct 2, 2006
  14. John Doe

    Mark A Guest

    "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    > There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line. Maybe
    > you can be my subject line writer.

    How much does it pay? But you could have posted:
    "Why are mainboard boxes not shrink-wrapped?"

    > But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all other stores
    > are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.

    Check this out:
    http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/prn/200609221350PR_NEWS_USPR_____DAF017.htm

    > Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

    Do you think you will catch a disease from a MB box that is not
    shrink-wrapped?

    > In my big city, we have very large stores that sell things you've
    > probably never even dreamed of. It's a trade-off I can live with.
    > Besides, I'm not talking about most things. Most things, electronics
    > and tools for example, are coming in bubble packaging (which happens
    > to be plastic BTW). I have noticed the local Wal-Mart does have some
    > cheap tools on the bottom shelf without packaging, but that's the
    > really cheap stuff. Maybe you are more comfortable with really cheap
    > stuff.
    >
    > By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight? If you
    > don't like folks from the United States, turn on headers and avoid
    > reading them.

    Very big city? I live in very big US city also, but newegg.com has just
    about everything I need, and the Asus MB that I got from them was not
    shrink-wrapped and it worked perfectly.

    I am from the US and I like my posts (and most others from the US) quite
    well.

    Mark A, Oct 2, 2006
  15. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Mark A" <> wrote:

    > "John Doe" <> wrote in message
    >> There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line.
    >> Maybe you can be my subject line writer.
    >>

    > How much does it pay?

    You don't qualify.

    > But you could have posted:
    > "Why are mainboard boxes not shrink-wrapped?"

    But that's not what I meant.

    >> But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all other
    >> stores are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.
    >>

    > Check this out:
    > http://money.cnn.com/services/tickerheadlines/prn/200609221350PR_NE
    > WS_USPR_____DAF017.htm

    I guess Wal-Mart means everything to you.

    >> Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

    > Do you think you will catch a disease from a MB box that is not
    > shrink-wrapped?

    You were off on a tangent talking about unwrapped bread. I tend to
    follow the subject. Maybe I'm too easy.

    >> In my big city, we have very large stores that sell things you've
    >> probably never even dreamed of. It's a trade-off I can live with.
    >> Besides, I'm not talking about most things. Most things,
    >> electronics and tools for example, are coming in bubble packaging
    >> (which happens to be plastic BTW). I have noticed the local
    >> Wal-Mart does have some cheap tools on the bottom shelf without
    >> packaging, but that's the really cheap stuff. Maybe you are more
    >> comfortable with really cheap stuff.
    >>
    >> By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight? If you
    >> don't like folks from the United States, turn on headers and
    >> avoid reading them.

    > Very big city? I live in very big US city also,

    So you are just a troll.

    > but newegg.com has just
    > about everything I need, and the Asus MB that I got from them was
    > not shrink-wrapped and it worked perfectly.

    That's hardly science.

    I'm just guessing, but do you quote only one level in your replies?

    John Doe, Oct 2, 2006
  16. John Doe

    Garrot Guest

    Garrot, Oct 2, 2006
  17. John Doe

    Garrot Guest

    On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:04:54 -0600, Mark A wrote:

    > In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it comes with no
    > packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

    Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?
    Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

    Garrot, Oct 2, 2006
  18. John Doe

    Mark A Guest

    "Garrot" <> wrote in message
    > Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born germs?
    > Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they should, IMO.

    Actually, a lot of grocery stores with in-house bakeries sell bread that is
    not in sealed packages. Sometimes it is behind a glass case, but it is not
    in a "sealed" package. Neither are most of the fruits and vegetables.

    As we found out recently, organic spinach that is packaged in sealed plastic
    can be deadly.

    Mark A, Oct 2, 2006
  19. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    Garrot <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 1 Oct 2006 19:04:54 -0600, Mark A wrote:

    >> In many European countries, when you buy a loaf of bread, it
    >> comes with no packaging at all. Your phobia about packaging is
    >> just a cultural bias.

    > Who wants to buy a loaf of bread that has been exposed to air born
    > germs? Small bakeries here don't wrap the bread either but they
    > should, IMO.

    And bread tends to get stale quickly when exposed.

    I've read two or three different comments on the Internet recently
    about keeping plastic items (one was about grass trimmer line) in a
    container with a small amount of water to keep it pliable. It's an
    interesting concept to me, the idea of keeping plastic items humid
    to help keep them from degrading.

    No, that doesn't have anything to do with the subject either. I
    think someone opened the box and swapped the part.

    John Doe, Oct 2, 2006
  20. John Doe

    Rod Speed Guest

    John Doe <> wrote
    > Mark A <> wrote
    >> John Doe <> wrote

    >>> Considering the fact a mainboard is a very complex part
    >>> of a computer that you would want to know is factory
    >>> fresh, how come mainboard boxes are not factory sealed?

    >>> If that's because configuring has to be done after the factory, how
    >>> come the company that configures the thing does not seal the box?

    They basically dont bother on the whole.

    >> They are not "opened". They were never shrink wrapped to begin with.

    > There's only so much meaning you can put into a subject line.

    The subject line aint the problem.

    > Maybe you can be my subject line writer.

    Or maybe not.

    >> Wal-Mart has started a new program to get suppliers to reduce the
    >> amount of packaging for products they sell. They have estimated
    >> that it will save them tens of Billions of dollars per year, a
    >> significant portion of which will be reduction in energy usage for
    >> shipping and the energy needed to make the packaging. Maybe you
    >> didn't know it, but plastic (including shrink-wrap) comes from oil.

    > But in fact, more and more things from Wal-Mart and all
    > other stores are coming in bubble packaging which is plastic.

    >> In many European countries, when you buy a
    >> loaf of bread, it comes with no packaging at all.

    > So you just catch the loaf with your filthy hands?

    Yep.

    > How about all of the other people that have fingered your
    > bread, no telling where their fingers were before then.

    The frogs have never been that mindlessly anal.

    >> Your phobia about packaging is just a cultural bias.

    > Reasonable care has something to do with knowing about disease.

    We have an immune system for a reason, stupid.

    Dont bother visiting china, they use human shit as fertilizer with food crops.

    >> If you deal with a reputable manufacturer and a
    >> reputable retailer, you have nothing to worry about.

    > In my big city, we have very large stores that sell
    > things you've probably never even dreamed of.

    Unlikely.

    > It's a trade-off I can live with. Besides, I'm not talking about most
    > things. Most things, electronics and tools for example, are coming
    > in bubble packaging (which happens to be plastic BTW). I have
    > noticed the local Wal-Mart does have some cheap tools on the
    > bottom shelf without packaging, but that's the really cheap stuff.

    Wrong again with the bigger tools like hammers etc.

    > Maybe you are more comfortable with really cheap stuff.

    Or maybe you couldnt bullshit your way out of a wet paper bag.

    > By the way, why are you trying to turn this into a fight?

    Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed paranoid fantasys/projections.

    > If you don't like folks from the United States,

    He never said he didnt.

    > turn on headers and avoid reading them.

    Or tell you to go shove your head up a dead bear's arse.

    Rod Speed, Oct 2, 2006