Why does ATI MMC show recorded MP4 as AVI?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by Jeff, Jul 3, 2006.

  1. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    Question for the experts here.

    As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
    for portable devices as MP4 feature.

    I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
    window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
    extention, why is that?

    TIA

    Jeff

    1. Advertising

  2. xmradio

    xmradio Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Question for the experts here.
    >
    > As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
    > for portable devices as MP4 feature.
    >
    > I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
    > window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
    > extention, why is that?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Jeff

    it is still a mp4 file...when you record to divx using ati stuff, the
    extension is avi too.

    xman

    1. Advertising

  3. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "xmradio" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    >> Question for the experts here.
    >>
    >> As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
    >> for portable devices as MP4 feature.
    >>
    >> I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
    >> window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
    >> extention, why is that?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Jeff

    > it is still a mp4 file...when you record to divx using ati stuff, the
    > extension is avi too.
    >
    > xman

    So is there a way to make ipod video compliant files while using MMC to
    recors so no later transcoding is required?

    jeff

  4. First of One

    First of One Guest

    That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded in
    MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.

    What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it play
    properly on your iPod?

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message
    > Question for the experts here.
    >
    > As a new IPOD video user, I decided to take advantage of ATI mmc's record
    > for portable devices as MP4 feature.
    >
    > I set everything in setup within MMC as MP4 but when the recording status
    > window pops up it says it's being recorded as AVI not with the MP4
    > extention, why is that?

  5. Jeff

    Jeff Guest

    "First of One" <> wrote in message
    > That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded
    > in MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.
    >
    > What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it play

    Not recognizeable or importable into the ipod library even after renaming it

    jeff

  6. Ken Maltby

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "Jeff" <> wrote in message

    > "First of One" <> wrote in message
    >> That's because AVI is just a "container". The video can still be encoded
    >> in MPEG4 format, yet have a *.AVI extension.
    >>
    >> What happens if you just rename the *.AVI extension to *.MP4? Does it
    >> play

    > Not recognizeable or importable into the ipod library even after renaming
    > it
    >
    > jeff

    Unfortunately there are several flavors of MP4, and the IPod uses one
    of its own. Most of the H264 encoders I've been checking out provide
    an option to encode to be compatible to a number of standards and
    devices, including one for IPod.

    You might try the Elecard Mobile Converter (or the new TMPGEnc 4.0
    XPress, if you need an all purpose encoder) The free Super(c) can work
    also.

    You might also Google for and try the "AIT Avivo Video Converter 1.12"
    It is super fast but I don't know if the results will be Ipod compatible.
    If you know how to use GraphEdit you can get to the encoder's property
    page and may be able to set it there.

    Luck;
    Ken