Why does my Compaq 1.80Ghz P4-Mobile max out at 1.20Ghz ?

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Geoff, Mar 30, 2007.

  1. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    No expert on laptops or Intel processors in general (brought up on AMD
    powered self-built desktops) but had the opportunity to put together a
    Compaq Evo N1000v (1.80Ghz Pentium 4-M, 512 Mb memory) from two scrap
    machines so gave it a go.

    Everything went together much better than I could have hoped and everything
    is working as it should apart from the fact that according to CPUID,SIS and
    Fresh Diagnose the 1.80 Ghz Pentium 4-Mobile (with or without stepping
    enabled) is only running at 1.20Ghz (12x multiplier rather than the 18x
    multiplier it should be) and this appears to be confirmed by various CPU
    benchmarks test and day-to-day use as the laptop doesn't seem to running
    much faster than my PII/300 Mhz which it replaced.

    There's nothing in the BIOS to change the multiplier so as anyone any
    suggestions as to what can I do to get this laptop running at its correct
    speed or is the CPU on the way out?

    Geoff

    Geoff, Mar 30, 2007

  2. Geoff

    Fixer Guest

    Have you flashed the BIOS to the latest version? if you've used a board with
    a lower version it might not recognise the CPU properly, also have you
    installed the chipset drivers?

    Fixer, Mar 30, 2007

  3. Likely you have a speedstep CPU that is stuck in the "low speed" mode.
    It's possible that you have a bios or motherboard or chipset that
    doesn't support SpeedStep.

    Barry Watzman, Mar 30, 2007
  4. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    BIOS is the latest version and all latest drivers have been installed (force
    of habit have built that many desktop systems) and the settings in XP are
    optimised for speed rather than battery economy. Even disabling stepping in
    BIOS doesn't make any difference it still runs at 1.20 Ghz yet is correctly
    identified as a Pentium 4-M @ 1.80Ghz in BIOS (and elsewhere).

    The only significant difference between enabling and disabling stepping
    (obviously the root of the problem) is that with stepping enabled the laptop
    will not boot at all with mains power connected - disconnect the mains
    adaptor and it boots up ok.

    Thanks for your suggestion, but it looks like I am going to have to live
    with it until I can afford to upgrade to a new laptop.

    Geoff

    Geoff, Mar 30, 2007
  5. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    As you say the CPU is stuck in "low speed" mode and there doesn't seem to be
    a way of getting out of it. According to the manual the BIOS and motherboard
    both support stepping and the CPU is recognised correctly and the latest
    BIOS and Drivers are installed. Even disabling stepping in BIOS makes no
    difference to the processor speed. Is it possible for the stepping to be
    faulty but the CPU still working albeit at the lower speed.

    Geoff

    Geoff, Mar 30, 2007
  6. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    Sorted - CPU problem. Swapped the CPUs over and everything now appears to be
    working as it should. Thanks for your suggestions.

    Geoff

    Geoff, Apr 1, 2007