Why no K8NGM2-FID board available? Is there something wrong with them?

Discussion in 'MSI' started by johnfofawn@hotmail.com, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    After much reading I determined that the K8NGM2-FID was the best
    motherboard for use in my new Media Center PC. I've been waiting 3
    weeks for them to be in-stock at New Egg. Now they aren't even listed
    on New Egg's site. They are backordered at ZipZoomFly also.

    What's up with this? Is there some problem with the board?

    Is there someplace else that is reputable that has them in stock?

    Thanks!!!
    John

    1. Advertising

  2. Folk

    Folk Guest

    On 14 Sep 2006 11:21:11 -0700, wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >After much reading I determined that the K8NGM2-FID was the best
    >motherboard for use in my new Media Center PC. I've been waiting 3
    >weeks for them to be in-stock at New Egg. Now they aren't even listed
    >on New Egg's site. They are backordered at ZipZoomFly also.
    >
    >What's up with this? Is there some problem with the board?
    >
    >Is there someplace else that is reputable that has them in stock?
    >
    >Thanks!!!
    >John

    NewEgg appears to have discontinued the item. Probably because MSI is
    no longer making them... Socket 939 has been replaced by AM2.

    Check this thread at Anandtech:
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985

    It has a section on "Choosing a GeForce 6150 Board". You might find
    an even better board there.

    1. Advertising

  3. Guest

    Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't realize the board was
    discontinued and that 939 was replaced by AM2. I should have seen this
    while researching the motherboard options. I'll pick a decent AM2-based
    board. Thank you!!!!

    John

    Folk wrote:
    > On 14 Sep 2006 11:21:11 -0700, wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >After much reading I determined that the K8NGM2-FID was the best
    > >motherboard for use in my new Media Center PC. I've been waiting 3
    > >weeks for them to be in-stock at New Egg. Now they aren't even listed
    > >on New Egg's site. They are backordered at ZipZoomFly also.
    > >
    > >What's up with this? Is there some problem with the board?
    > >
    > >Is there someplace else that is reputable that has them in stock?
    > >
    > >Thanks!!!
    > >John

    > NewEgg appears to have discontinued the item. Probably because MSI is
    > no longer making them... Socket 939 has been replaced by AM2.
    >
    > Check this thread at Anandtech:
    > http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985
    >
    > It has a section on "Choosing a GeForce 6150 Board". You might find
    > an even better board there.

  4. jolt

    jolt Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > After much reading I determined that the K8NGM2-FID was the best
    > motherboard for use in my new Media Center PC. I've been waiting 3
    > weeks for them to be in-stock at New Egg. Now they aren't even listed
    > on New Egg's site. They are backordered at ZipZoomFly also.
    >
    > What's up with this? Is there some problem with the board?
    >
    > Is there someplace else that is reputable that has them in stock?
    >
    > Thanks!!!
    > John

    The K8NGM2-NBP is the board that replaced the K8NGM2-FID very similar.
    Link to info on both boards
    http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985

    Ewiz has then in stock for 77.00
    http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB...7b1f702e8001f37ad7e73c83f8f8537f8822a07177c4a

  5. bodacious

    bodacious Guest

    On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 13:28:31 -0400, "jolt" <>
    wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> After much reading I determined that the K8NGM2-FID was the best
    >> motherboard for use in my new Media Center PC. I've been waiting 3
    >> weeks for them to be in-stock at New Egg. Now they aren't even listed
    >> on New Egg's site. They are backordered at ZipZoomFly also.
    >>
    >> What's up with this? Is there some problem with the board?
    >>
    >> Is there someplace else that is reputable that has them in stock?
    >>
    >> Thanks!!!
    >> John
    >>

    >The K8NGM2-NBP is the board that replaced the K8NGM2-FID very similar.
    >Link to info on both boards
    >http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1803985

    That's the security model for corporate networks with the built in
    security key hardware. It doesn't have as many HTPC features as
    the -FID model eg no firewire, less video outputs, no raid 5 etc.
    It's for office clones.

    The -FID model is out of stock because it's October and all the kids
    bought computers for school; esp since AMD cpu prices are dirt cheap
    right now. Not to mention everyone is buying them up for cheap
    HTPCs since the Media Industry nazis (ohmagod that word) won't sell
    you a decent HDTV tuner these days unless you get it as a PCI board.

    Bottom line though, socket 939 is going away fast. They may not be
    making any more of those motherboards when the pipeline is dry.

    The good news is there is a MSI AM2 6150 version, the bad news is
    it's not listed anymore at newegg either.

    Perversely, the Asus 6150 motherboard is available in both 939 and
    AM2 versions at newegg. Of course, no one wanted the crippled Asus
    version.

    PS if you want DDR ram sticks, you better get them soon also.
    Prices are rising and most good models are out of stock.