    Is there any easy guide to configuring the card, maybe with Caralyst?

    Thanks

    Nigel
    nandrews, Oct 31, 2009

  2. nandrews

    Elmer Fudd Guest

    nandrews wrote:
    > I am having great difficult configuring my Dell PC with an HD4350 to
    > show correctly on my Panasonic 32in LCD TV. This was to be the main
    > purpose for buying this PC!
    > There are very limited choices of resolution.
    > Choosing the highest resolution, whilst within the max for the TV
    > actually looks worse than lower. But that is the only res' that will
    > give the correct 16:9 ratio!
    > At some lower resolution than that the TV display actually goes black!
    >
    > Not connected, but an additional problem, is that Dell have advised me
    > that this PC has a problem with Panasonic TV's connected via HDMI.
    > They say I have to wait for a new BIOS update.!
    >
    > Is there any easy guide to configuring the card, maybe with Caralyst?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Nigel

    I tried my 4870 on my 50" LG Plasma and it looked good at 1680x1050 to
    me but I guess on LCD it is not quite the same. In Cat settings you can
    choose custom HDTV resolutions, enable 1280x720 and try that, should
    look fine at that res.
    Elmer Fudd, Nov 1, 2009

  3. * nandrews:
    > I am having great difficult configuring my Dell PC with an HD4350 to
    > show correctly on my Panasonic 32in LCD TV. This was to be the main
    > purpose for buying this PC!
    > There are very limited choices of resolution.
    > Choosing the highest resolution, whilst within the max for the TV
    > actually looks worse than lower. But that is the only res' that will
    > give the correct 16:9 ratio!
    > At some lower resolution than that the TV display actually goes black!

    Maybe you could give away some more details? For example, since
    Panasonic made more than a single model of 32in LCD TV the exact model
    would be a start. Also, what is the native(the physical resolution of
    the LCD panel, not the max resolution the TV can accept!) resolution of
    your TV then? How is the PC connected (VGA, DVI, HDMI, Component, Y/C,
    CVBS)?

    Also, you have to switch off overscan in the TV's settings. Overscan
    means that the TV zooms a bit into the image, and this means even if you
    feed your TV at its native resolution the image won't be pixel-matched
    and look awful.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 1, 2009
  4. nandrews

    nandrews Guest

    Thanks to you both for your replies.

    Elmer - I have just tried setting 1280x720 and the Panasonic screen
    goes black! So it seems to be another res' which it doesn't support.
    I would have tried your own 1680x1050 next, but as the Panasonic pixel
    ratio is 1366 x 768 I don't think it will work.

    Benjamin I thought I had given some of those details.

    The Panasonic model is TX-32LXD80
    The pixel ratio is 1366 x 768

    The connecton I would prefer is HDMI, but as I said Dell have a
    problem with that and say a BIOS upgrade is required to fix. So I am
    presently connecting the Panasonic via a VGA adapter to the the DVI
    socket and when necessary swapping that for the regular monitor
    connected to the VGA socket, to recover the setting that worked.

    I can get some resolutions to display, but they are all wrong for
    16:9, so circles and heads look like squashed eggs (too wide!). All
    except 1360x768 which as near as I can get to the Panasonic max and
    have proper round circles. But then curiously the display is pretty
    bad with fonts looking messy and colour fringes on some edges!

    I don't seem to have any control of overscan, I assume from the TV
    itself. The only settings on the PC connection are:-

    Clock, H-pos, V-pos, Clock phase and Sync
    R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain and Gamma

    Does this give any more information that can help you diagnose?

    Thanks

    Nigel

    nandrews, Nov 1, 2009
  5. * nandrews:

    > Benjamin I thought I had given some of those details.

    You didn't, otherwise I wouldn't ask.

    > The Panasonic model is TX-32LXD80
    > The pixel ratio is 1366 x 768

    Then this is the resolution you should use, or 1360x768 if this is
    available, but nothing else. The TX-32LXD80 will take 1920x1080 but then
    scales down to 1366x768 which impacts image quality as the pixels don't
    match.

    > The connecton I would prefer is HDMI, but as I said Dell have a
    > problem with that and say a BIOS upgrade is required to fix.

    Can you try with another gfx card?

    > I can get some resolutions to display, but they are all wrong for
    > 16:9, so circles and heads look like squashed eggs (too wide!). All
    > except 1360x768 which as near as I can get to the Panasonic max and
    > have proper round circles. But then curiously the display is pretty
    > bad with fonts looking messy and colour fringes on some edges!

    Did you disable overscan for the HDMI port? If not, the image won't be
    pixel matched and therefore look like shit.

    > I don't seem to have any control of overscan, I assume from the TV
    > itself. The only settings on the PC connection are:-
    >
    > Clock, H-pos, V-pos, Clock phase and Sync
    > R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain and Gamma

    These are settings for the analogue input. Have a look at the HDMI port.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 2, 2009
  6. * Benjamin Gawert:

    >> I don't seem to have any control of overscan, I assume from the TV
    >> itself. The only settings on the PC connection are:-
    >>
    >> Clock, H-pos, V-pos, Clock phase and Sync
    >> R-Gain, G-Gain, B-Gain and Gamma

    > These are settings for the analogue input. Have a look at the HDMI port.

    Here is the manual for your TV:
    <http://tda.panasonic-europe-service.com/GetDoc.aspx?did=160559&src=3&lang=en&fmt=pdf>

    Page 52 lists all acceptable resolutions for the VGA and the HDMI port.

    Page 25 says your TV does have an overscan control in the menue. It is
    in the setup menue (see p26).

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 2, 2009
  7. nandrews

    Elmer Fudd Guest

    nandrews wrote:
    > Thanks to you both for your replies.
    >
    > Elmer - I have just tried setting 1280x720 and the Panasonic screen
    > goes black! So it seems to be another res' which it doesn't support.
    > I would have tried your own 1680x1050 next, but as the Panasonic pixel
    > ratio is 1366 x 768 I don't think it will work.

    Then try other 16:9 resolutions until you find one that is acceptable
    and use 1:1 pixel mapping as the other person said. I had an LCD with
    native res the same as yours and it gave me issues too but I was able to
    use 1280x720 ok and that was fine for games. The res the manual said to
    use with PC use was 1024x768 which is 4:3 ratio and looked like crap.
    There is a utility you can buy/demo that allows you to set custom
    timings and resolutions but I can't remember the name of it now. The
    reason the screen went black at 1280x720 is a timing issue and not
    because the TV can't be forced to do it. If your TV was 1920x1080 native
    I expect you wouldn't have this issue.
    Elmer Fudd, Nov 4, 2009
  8. nandrews

    nandrews Guest

    Thanks once again for all of your input on my problem.
    I will give them a long and hard look.

    One thing that may change the situation is that I can now connect with
    HDMI!
    However it needs to be connected AFTER the PC has started booting!
    Obviously not an ideal situation and Dell are still looking into the
    problem.

    But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
    gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
    It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.

    I will look at all your suggestions and see how they will improve what
    I have now.

    Thanks once again for all of your helpful responses.

    Nigel
    nandrews, Nov 4, 2009
  9. * nandrews:

    > But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
    > gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
    > It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.

    Use the 720p resolution. Setting the resolution to 1080p on a 1366x768
    TV brings you nothing, except that the image isn't pixel matching and
    that the GPU has a higher load.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 4, 2009
  10. nandrews

    Elmer Fudd Guest

    nandrews wrote:
    > Thanks once again for all of your input on my problem.
    > I will give them a long and hard look.
    >
    > One thing that may change the situation is that I can now connect with
    > HDMI!
    > However it needs to be connected AFTER the PC has started booting!
    > Obviously not an ideal situation and Dell are still looking into the
    > problem.
    >
    > But I can work with it and the PC recognises the TV and immediately
    > gave a proper formated display (with round circles)!
    > It intially was set as 720p and I have now changed it to 1080p.
    >
    > I will look at all your suggestions and see how they will improve what
    > I have now.
    >
    > Thanks once again for all of your helpful responses.
    >
    > Nigel

    I connect my computer HDMI to my Denon receiver which then connects to
    the LG 1920x1080 Plasma and I get sound and 1680x1050 video over the
    HDMI connection perfectly.

    I just remembered the name of that utiltiy. It's called Powerstrip by
    Entech. Check it out.

    http://www.entechtaiwan.com/
    Elmer Fudd, Nov 4, 2009
  11. nandrews

    nandrews Guest

    Benjamin et al.

    Thanks once again.

    I see that setting 1080 when the native vertical res is only 768, but
    that makes me wonder what the TV shows it is changing to 1080?

    I had noticed some stepping in videos, both streamed and played from
    DVD and hard disk. But there maybe many other reasons for that.
    Hopefully if I run at 720p that will remove one of the reasons
    excuses.

    Thanks

    Nigel
    F.I.O Dell are coming to swap out the video card to try and cure the
    boot failure when HDMI is connected,

    nandrews, Nov 5, 2009
  12. * Elmer Fudd:

    > I connect my computer HDMI to my Denon receiver which then connects to
    > the LG 1920x1080 Plasma and I get sound and 1680x1050 video over the
    > HDMI connection perfectly.
    >
    > I just remembered the name of that utiltiy. It's called Powerstrip by
    > Entech. Check it out.
    >
    > http://www.entechtaiwan.com/

    That only helps when the TV does actually support this resolution, and
    even then is only necessary if the TV doesn't provide valid EDID
    information (basically a list with what resolutions are supported) to
    the gfx card.

    Benjamin
    Benjamin Gawert, Nov 5, 2009