    The wireless switch has no effect.

    Thanks for any ideas,
    Bob
    Bob Villa, May 26, 2010

  2. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
    > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    > The wireless switch has no effect.
    >
    > Thanks for any ideas,
    > Bob

    Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

    Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
    laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
    that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

    Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

    If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

    Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!

    Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
    with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    later I think.

    I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 26, 2010

  3. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >
    > > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed.  I replaced the
    > > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    > > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    > > The wireless switch has no effect.

    > > Thanks for any ideas,
    > > Bob

    > Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
    >
    > Is the replacement card the same model as the original?  Sometimes the
    > laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards.  But if
    > that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
    >
    > Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    > to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
    >
    > If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    > distro to test the card.  But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    > Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
    >
    > Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    > card drivers won't install.  After all, it is Windows!
    >
    > Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers?  Had a problem once
    > with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    > later I think.
    >
    > I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    Thanks Ben, you've given me a lot to work on...I will check back!
    Bob Villa, May 26, 2010
  4. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >
    > > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed.  I replaced the
    > > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    > > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    > > The wireless switch has no effect.

    > > Thanks for any ideas,
    > > Bob

    > Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
    >
    > Is the replacement card the same model as the original?  Sometimes the
    > laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards.  But if
    > that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
    >
    > Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    > to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
    >
    > If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    > distro to test the card.  But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    > Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
    >
    > Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    > card drivers won't install.  After all, it is Windows!
    >
    > Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers?  Had a problem once
    > with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    > later I think.
    >
    > I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
    Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. So they are "ben"ding a little!

    bob
    Bob Villa, May 26, 2010
  5. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/26/2010 7:13 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers<> wrote:
    >> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >>
    >>> Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
    >>> PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    >>> Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    >>> The wireless switch has no effect.

    >>> Thanks for any ideas,
    >>> Bob

    >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
    >>
    >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
    >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
    >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
    >>
    >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
    >>
    >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    >> distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
    >>
    >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    >> card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!
    >>
    >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
    >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    >> later I think.
    >>
    >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    > Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
    > Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it. So they are "ben"ding a little!
    >
    > bob

    Dell has been using Broadcom mini-PCI wifi cards for many years. I've
    found them inside Inspiron 5100s, for example... Ben
    Ben Myers, May 26, 2010
  6. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 26, 8:20 am, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 5/26/2010 7:13 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

    > >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

    > >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original?  Sometimes the
    > >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards.  But if
    > >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

    > >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    > >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

    > >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    > >> distro to test the card.  But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    > >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

    > >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    > >> card drivers won't install.  After all, it is Windows!

    > >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers?  Had a problem once
    > >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    > >> later I think.

    > >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    > > Ben, I just remembered that I bought a Dell (1545) last year with
    > > Ubuntu that had a Broadcom in it.  So they are "ben"ding a little!

    > > bob

    > Dell has been using Broadcom mini-PCI wifi cards for many years.  I've
    > found them inside Inspiron 5100s, for example... Ben

    My point being BroadCom/Linux.
    Bob Villa, May 26, 2010
  7. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >
    > > Device Manager said there was no wireless installed.  I replaced the
    > > PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    > > Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    > > The wireless switch has no effect.

    > > Thanks for any ideas,
    > > Bob

    > Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
    >
    > Is the replacement card the same model as the original?  Sometimes the
    > laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards.  But if
    > that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
    >
    > Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    > to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
    >
    > If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    > distro to test the card.  But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    > Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
    >
    > Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    > card drivers won't install.  After all, it is Windows!
    >
    > Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers?  Had a problem once
    > with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    > later I think.
    >
    > I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
    and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
    try...but it doesn't look good.
    This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
    would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
    solve my problems!).
    Thanks,
    bob
    Bob Villa, May 27, 2010
  8. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/27/2010 6:09 AM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > On May 25, 7:02 pm, Ben Myers<> wrote:
    >> On 5/25/2010 7:44 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    >>
    >>> Device Manager said there was no wireless installed. I replaced the
    >>> PCIe BroadCom card and reloaded the drivers...still nothing.
    >>> Is there something software-wise that I am missing?
    >>> The wireless switch has no effect.

    >>> Thanks for any ideas,
    >>> Bob

    >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?
    >>
    >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original? Sometimes the
    >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards. But if
    >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.
    >>
    >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.
    >>
    >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    >> distro to test the card. But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.
    >>
    >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    >> card drivers won't install. After all, it is Windows!
    >>
    >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers? Had a problem once
    >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    >> later I think.
    >>
    >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    > The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
    > and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
    > try...but it doesn't look good.
    > This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
    > would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
    > solve my problems!).
    > Thanks,
    > bob

    There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. Actually,
    several. Reliable drivers. For lots of operating systems. Good wifi
    range.

    Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? ... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 28, 2010
  9. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    On May 27, 8:03 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On 5/27/2010 6:09 AM, Bob Villa wrote:

    > >> Is there a BIOS setting to enable/disable wifi?

    > >> Is the replacement card the same model as the original?  Sometimes the
    > >> laptop BIOS will recognize only certain models of wifi cards.  But if
    > >> that is the case, the BIOS usually emits a semi-intelligible error message.

    > >> Lenovo/IBM Thinkpads have a program (not provided by them) you can run
    > >> to patch the BIOS to allow any wifi card.

    > >> If it was anything but a Broadcom card, I'd suggest running a live Linux
    > >> distro to test the card.  But Broadcom and Linux do not get along.
    > >> Something about Broadcom patents, the stupid asses.

    > >> Finally, could be the Windows registry is mucked up enough that the wifi
    > >> card drivers won't install.  After all, it is Windows!

    > >> Possibly try another version of the wifi drivers?  Had a problem once
    > >> with a set of Intel wifi drivers, so I installed a different version,
    > >> later I think.

    > >> I'm out of ideas... Ben Myers

    > > The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD").  I tried Ubuntu DVD
    > > and it does find any WiFi hardware.  I have not found drivers yet to
    > > try...but it doesn't look good.
    > > This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
    > > would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
    > > solve my problems!).
    > > Thanks,
    > > bob

    > There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded.  Actually,
    > several.  Reliable drivers.  For lots of operating systems.  Good wifi
    > range.
    >
    > Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945?  ... Ben Myers

    I think I put my time in this one...just going to tell her to use a
    WiFi dongle and be done with it.
    But thanks much for your time, Ben!
    bob
    Bob Villa, May 29, 2010
  10. Bob Villa

    Ben Myers Guest

    On 5/28/2010 7:12 PM, Bob Villa wrote:
    > On May 27, 8:03 pm, Ben Myers<> wrote:

    >>> The WiFi card is the same (down to the "rev.OD"). I tried Ubuntu DVD
    >>> and it does find any WiFi hardware. I have not found drivers yet to
    >>> try...but it doesn't look good.
    >>> This is a friend's LT and she wants it for the grand-kids...so she
    >>> would prefer not having a dongle sticking out the side (which would
    >>> solve my problems!).
    >>> Thanks,
    >>> bob

    >> There's a reason why Intel wifi cards are highly regarded. Actually,
    >> several. Reliable drivers. For lots of operating systems. Good wifi
    >> range.
    >>
    >> Does it make sense to swap in an Intel 3945? ... Ben Myers

    > I think I put my time in this one...just going to tell her to use a
    > WiFi dongle and be done with it.
    > But thanks much for your time, Ben!
    > bob

    A wifi dongle is an easier solution than replacing an internal card.
    Might be less expensive these days, too... Ben Myers
    Ben Myers, May 29, 2010
  11. Bob Villa

    Guest Guest

    Some Dv6000 had a reflow solder problem.I had the same problem but with the
    video circuit also.Went to Utube found a solution.Take motherboard out of
    the unit.Find the area of the motherboard where the circuitry for the Wifi
    card is located do both front and back of motherboard .Using a Heat Gun (not
    a hairdriyer)Hold the heat gun about 3 inches from the area,keep moving gun
    to cover the area for about 1 to 2 minutes.This fixed my video and Wifi
    problem.
    Russ

    Guest, May 29, 2010
  12. Bob Villa

    Bob Villa Guest

    >Russ wrote:
    >Some Dv6000 had a reflow solder problem.I had the same problem but with the

    video circuit also.Went to Utube found a solution.Take motherboard
    out of
    the unit.Find the area of the motherboard where the circuitry for the
    Wifi
    card is located do both front and back of motherboard .Using a Heat
    Gun (not
    a hairdriyer)Hold the heat gun about 3 inches from the area,keep
    moving gun
    to cover the area for about 1 to 2 minutes.This fixed my video and
    Wifi
    problem.
    Russ

    Thanks, at least I know! If it was mine...I would, most likely, not
    attempt it.

    bob
    Bob Villa, May 29, 2010