Will Videocard Help?

Discussion in 'ATI' started by ZR, Oct 11, 2008.

  1. ZR

    ZR Guest

    Hi,
    I have an old (4 years?) Dell machine with 2.4 GHz Celeron, 1G RAM and
    onboard Intel graphics driving a 1920 x 1200 LCD monitor. We do not play
    game on this machine. It runs fine mostly, including watching online videos,
    DVDs and TVs. However it will have refresh problems in some applications
    when running full screen at full resolution.

    For example, watching full screen TV (I have a TV card in there) at
    1920x1200 is impossible, but lower resolution would be fine. Using Flash
    player watching online videos at full screen will have trouble, but some
    other players (like WMP) are fine.

    But DVD and Windows Media Player work fine full screen at 1920x1200.

    When it's having trouble at full screen, the CPU is always running at
    100%.

    So the question for you experts is: will putting in a PCI video card in
    there solve this problem? Would most of the graphics processing be shifted
    onto the video card and free up the CPU?

    It only has PCI interface and upgrade MB or CPU is out of the question
    (don't want to, :)).

    Thanks for any info.

    ZR, Oct 11, 2008

  2. ZR

    Augustus Guest

    "ZR" <> wrote in message news:gcrah0$a3v$...
    > Hi,
    > I have an old (4 years?) Dell machine with 2.4 GHz Celeron, 1G RAM and
    > onboard Intel graphics driving a 1920 x 1200 LCD monitor. We do not play
    > game on this machine. It runs fine mostly, including watching online
    > videos,
    > DVDs and TVs. However it will have refresh problems in some applications
    > when running full screen at full resolution.
    >
    > For example, watching full screen TV (I have a TV card in there) at
    > 1920x1200 is impossible, but lower resolution would be fine. Using Flash
    > player watching online videos at full screen will have trouble, but some
    > other players (like WMP) are fine.
    >
    > But DVD and Windows Media Player work fine full screen at 1920x1200.
    >
    > When it's having trouble at full screen, the CPU is always running at
    > 100%.
    >
    > So the question for you experts is: will putting in a PCI video card in
    > there solve this problem? Would most of the graphics processing be shifted
    > onto the video card and free up the CPU?
    >
    > It only has PCI interface and upgrade MB or CPU is out of the question
    > (don't want to, :)).
    >
    > Thanks for any info.

    To reiterate what was said on the nVidia group to this post, and to add my
    very similar opinion....4 year old budget Dell box with a P4 Celeron 2.4Ghz,
    1 Gig of Shared DDR and integrated Intel Extreme graphics = poor
    perfromance. You can get a used P4 Northwood 2.8Ghz 512Kb L2 533FSB
    processor for about $25-30. This will basically more than double the
    performance of a Celeron 2.4 400FSB with 128Kb L2. Use the service tag to
    look up the system specs to make sure the mainboard supports 533FSB.
    Virtually every budget Dell box from 4 years back does. A PCI card? Won't
    solve your issue.

    Augustus, Oct 12, 2008

  3. ZR

    Ed Light Guest

    Ed Light, Oct 12, 2008
  4. ZR

    yaugin Guest

    On Oct 11, 3:49 pm, "ZR" <> wrote:
    >     For example, watching full screen TV (I have a TV card in there) at
    > 1920x1200 is impossible, but lower resolution would be fine. Using Flash
    > player watching online videos at full screen will have trouble, but some
    > other players (like WMP) are fine.
    >
    >     But DVD and Windows Media Player work fine full screen at 1920x1200.
    >
    >     When it's having trouble at full screen, the CPU is always running at
    > 100%.

    That is as much the fault of the tuner card as it is the CPU. Yours
    sounds like a "soft" tuner whose driver passes the work to the CPU. A
    proper tuner card has a capable onboard decoder and should not stress
    the CPU.

    >     So the question for you experts is: will putting in a PCI video card in
    > there solve this problem? Would most of the graphics processing be shifted
    > onto the video card and free up the CPU?

    For a video card to make a difference, the video card must have a
    hardware decoder and the tuner application must have been programmed
    to use that decoder. So it depends on whether this is true for your
    tuner card. Personally I think it's unlikely but I'm not familiar with
    the trends there.

    In any case, the best way to solve the problem is directly: replace
    the tuner card with a better model. Then you won't need to wonder if a
    video card will help.

    yaugin, Oct 14, 2008
  5. ZR

    pokey man Guest