    Win98 on a PA-2002 with external cache enabled? Which BIOS? The most
    recent BIOS at the FIC site is dated 10/08/96. I'm thinking maybe this
    mobo and Win98 never did work together.

    Boon, Oct 17, 2007

  2. Hello,
    I think that you could try a more recent BIOS, I have myself downloaded
    a Beta BIOS for Year2000 compatibility (filename: 4091g800.zip),
    so it should be able to run W98 properly, only old Win3.1/3.11, W95,
    W98, W98SE, Win Millenium, Windows NT4 and Windows2000
    were available in 2000...
    If you are interested, I have PA2002 user manual in electronic format (PDF),
    many BIOS versions as zip compressed archive files, and the BIOS flash
    update
    utility...
    :)
    Alain-Pierre Chertier

    "Boon" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > For nostalgic fun I bought some memory for a FIC PA-2002 that's been in

    the
    > garage for years, to try installing Win98 with 96MB of memory. For all
    > combinations of BIOS versions and settings that I tried, either memtest86
    > failed or Win98 was unstable, unless I ran with external cache disabled.

    > think the actual cache hardware is OK because it sometimes passed memtest
    > when enabled, although Win98 didn't like those settings. I kept looking
    > because I wanted the cache enabled. Today I flashed the BIOS to 407J800
    > with the result that I still can only run with external cache disabled,

    and
    > now I have floppy failure at boot. Not fun anymore - this mobo is

    destined

    Alain-Pierre CHERTIER, Apr 12, 2008