Win 98 on a P4RC350 ??

Discussion in 'Soyo' started by Jeff Sellers, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. Jeff Sellers

    Jeff Sellers Guest

    Hi Group !

    I've got a Soyo P4RC350 and am trying to build a system for my son. It has
    an 8 gig hd and 512mb of ram.

    I get all the way through the process of installing Win 98 to the point
    where it restarts the computer to start 98 for the first time. The machine
    locks up with a text only screen that says

    "while initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to
    restart your computer" A restart will come back to the same thing.

    I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but then I have no CD drive to install
    the Soyo disk with.....

    I have Loaded Optimized Settings in the BIOS per the manual, I also tried it
    without doing this.
    I also tried loading the Failsafe Settings.....Same thing again.

    I've booted from a 98 startup floppy, I've reformatted and installed again,
    all with the same end result. WTF >????

    Anyone know what this NDIS device is or what ?????

    Thanks for ANY insight....

    Jeff
    Jeff Sellers, Feb 7, 2005

  2. Jeff Sellers

    Rob Hemmings Guest

    "Jeff Sellers" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Group !
    >
    > I've got a Soyo P4RC350 and am trying to build a system for my son. It has
    > an 8 gig hd and 512mb of ram.
    >
    > I get all the way through the process of installing Win 98 to the point
    > where it restarts the computer to start 98 for the first time. The machine
    > locks up with a text only screen that says
    >
    > "while initializing device NDIS: Windows protection error. You need to
    > restart your computer" A restart will come back to the same thing.
    >
    > I can get it to start in Safe Mode, but then I have no CD drive to install
    > the Soyo disk with.....
    >
    > I have Loaded Optimized Settings in the BIOS per the manual, I also tried

    it
    > without doing this.
    > I also tried loading the Failsafe Settings.....Same thing again.
    >
    > I've booted from a 98 startup floppy, I've reformatted and installed

    again,
    > all with the same end result. WTF >????
    >
    > Anyone know what this NDIS device is or what ?????
    >
    > Thanks for ANY insight....

    If the soyo has a CPU faster than 2.1 GHz, then look here:
    http://support.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-008712.htm
    and here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312108
    This driver problem only affects Win95 & 98 and was fixed in Win98SE.
    HTH
    --
    Rob
    Rob Hemmings, Feb 7, 2005

  3. Jeff Sellers

    Jeff Sellers Guest

    Thanks Rob, that gives me alot more to go on.....

    Jeff Sellers, Feb 7, 2005