    Do I need to switch to SATA mode or install other drivers ??? Thx for
    any and all help. Rick

    , Oct 28, 2007

  2. MyndPhlyp Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Any help appreciated with the following problem:
    >
    > I have a D975xbx board with my C (boot) drive connnected to a SATA
    > port. I am running in IDE mode. I installed 2 additional SATA
    > drives.On my ATA bus I only have a CD ROM/DVD drive, no hard drives.
    >
    > When I booted after install the BIOS saw the drives, and windows on
    > startup flashed a new disk drive found message but no prompt to
    > format. In explorer, these drives are not seen. In control panel,
    > under drivers, these drives are seen and under properties commands it
    > says the drivers are operating normally. I assume these are windows
    > drivers as I got no drivers with the drives (Seagate 500GB SATA).
    > However I have no letters assigned to drives and cannot get explorer
    > to see them or prompt to format.
    >
    > Do I need to switch to SATA mode or install other drivers ??? Thx for
    > any and all help. Rick

    Start => Settings => Control Panel => Administrative Tools

    Run Computer Management

    In the Storage section, click Disk management.

    Your new drive will be displayed there, probably unformatted but most
    definitely without drive letters. This is where you get to define
    partitions, format, and set drive letters.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 28, 2007

  3. DaveW Guest

    Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the OS.
    So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen that
    says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd party
    drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have previously
    created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from your
    motherboard's installation CD.

    --
    ---------------------
    DaveW

    ---------------------

    DaveW, Oct 28, 2007
  4. Eric Gisin Guest

    Bullshit. All Intel chipsets use the IDE driver (atapi.sys) for SATA&PATA.

    Eric Gisin, Oct 28, 2007
  5. MyndPhlyp Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the

    OS.
    > So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen that
    > says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd party
    > drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have previously
    > created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from your
    > motherboard's installation CD.

    If the OP wishes to use MB RAID capabilities, yes, but not for JBOD.

    MyndPhlyp, Oct 29, 2007
  6. Nate Edel Guest

    MyndPhlyp <> wrote:
    > "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    > > Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for the
    > > OS. So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast screen
    > > that says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install any 3rd
    > > party drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you will have
    > > previously created, you will have installed the SATA drivers copied from
    > > your motherboard's installation CD.

    > If the OP wishes to use MB RAID capabilities, yes, but not for JBOD.

    May depend on the BIOS settings; my wife's new laptop (Dell Latitide D630)
    came with the SATA set to AHCI mode in the BIOS, and a Dell XP SP2 disk
    didn't recognize it or the drives. Switching the BIOS to ATA fixed it.

    --
    Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
    preferred email | "With all the accumulated wit and wisdom in the

    Nate Edel, Nov 1, 2007
  7. Eric Gisin wrote:
    > Bullshit. All Intel chipsets use the IDE driver (atapi.sys) for SATA&PATA.

    That's not correct. Intel BIOS can use ACPI or ATA for access, and
    chipsets seem to support that, but you have the whole "uses" thing
    backward, the chipset uses nothing, the user set the BIOS, the OS used
    the driver, the driver users the chipset interface selected by the BIOS,
    etc, etc.

    > "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    >> Windows XP, prior to SP 2 , did NOT include Windows SATA drivers for
    >> the OS. So during the startup of XP installation you will see a fast
    >> screen that says to insert a Floppy and press F6 in order to install
    >> any 3rd party drivers that Windows will require. On the Floppy you
    >> will have previously created, you will have installed the SATA drivers
    >> copied from your motherboard's installation CD.

    --
    Bill Davidsen
    He was a full-time professional cat, not some moonlighting

    Bill Davidsen, Dec 12, 2007