    Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.

    Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the o/s

    Thanks

    Brody, Feb 16, 2011

  2. Brody

    CJJE Guest

    "Brody" <> wrote in message
    news:8kN6p.7025$...
    > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
    >
    > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
    > o/s
    >
    > Thanks

    My Dell (albeit an older system with Windows Vista) has a recovery partition
    containing all the software that used to be in the box on assorted disks.
    This partition is then accessed to restore your system should it crash.
    Details should be in the Dell documentation.

    Chris

    CJJE, Feb 16, 2011

  3. Brody

    Daddy Guest

    Brody wrote:
    > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
    >
    > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
    > o/s
    >
    > Thanks

    Dell's consumer PCs (at least) have not included a 'recovery disk' or an
    operating system installation disk since approximately April, 2010. I
    understand they don't even include the 'tools and drivers' disk either.

    Instead, computers from Dell and virtually every other OEM have a
    recovery partition, which erases the hard disk and re-installs all the
    software (not just Windows) in the same state it was when you first
    turned on the computer.

    I've never received a straight answer from Dell about this, and members
    of the computer press whom I have contacted make educated guesses but
    don't know for sure (or won't say.) My guess is it's an anti-piracy
    measure from Microsoft.

    When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
    Windows installation disk any more. Most people - including me - used to
    clamor for a Windows disk in case we needed to repair or re-install
    Windows. Those procedures have been largely superseded by backup
    software, particularly by disk imaging. My computer is a year old now,
    and I can't imagine wanting to erase the disk and start over; that's a
    year's worth of updates and configuration settings to re-do from
    scratch. Feh - who needs it. I just restore a good image.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Feb 16, 2011
  4. Brody

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:05:49 -0800, Brody wrote:

    > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
    >
    > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the o/s
    >
    > Thanks

    My new, (arrived last week), Dell T3500 workstation came with a Dell
    Operating System "reinstallation DVD" . I haven't taken the disk out of
    the wrapper, but it's definitely not a Microsoft branded Windows
    installation DVD, with all the holograms, COA, and activation code.

    Bill
    --
    Email address is a Spam trap.

    Bill, Feb 16, 2011
  5. Brody

    pacca Guest

    How do you clone your hard drive,what software do you use,I have a external
    hard drive would that work?

    pacca, Feb 16, 2011
  6. On 2/16/2011 5:05 AM, Brody wrote:
    > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
    >
    > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
    > o/s
    >
    > Thanks

    Microsoft dictates that Dell and other manufactures do not ship new
    systems with recovery media (DVD). Dell does provide a method to create
    a set of recovery DVDs on most models but does still ship a recover
    Windows DVD with many of their business machines. This issue is not
    unique to Dell, and in the even of drive failure (at least while the
    machine is still under warranty) they ship out replacement drives
    pre-loaded with the OS and/or with recovery media if requested.

    Christopher Muto, Feb 16, 2011
  7. Brody

    Brian K Guest

    When you buy a Dell computer in Australia it costs $2.50 extra if you want a
    Win7 OS DVD.

    Brian K, Feb 16, 2011
  8. Brody

    Guest

    On Feb 16, 8:18 am, "pacca" <> wrote:
    > How do you clone your hard drive,what software do you use,I have a external
    > hard drive would that work?
    >
    > "Daddy"  wrote in messagenews:ijgp3c$rsv$-september.org....
    > Brody wrote:
    > > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.

    > > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the
    > > o/s

    > > Thanks

    > Dell's consumer PCs (at least) have not included a 'recovery disk' or an
    > operating system installation disk since approximately April, 2010. I
    > understand they don't even include the 'tools and drivers' disk either.
    >
    > Instead, computers from Dell and virtually every other OEM have a
    > recovery partition, which erases the hard disk and re-installs all the
    > software (not just Windows) in the same state it was when you first
    > turned on the computer.
    >
    > I've never received a straight answer from Dell about this, and members
    > of the computer press whom I have contacted make educated guesses but
    > don't know for sure (or won't say.) My guess is it's an anti-piracy
    > measure from Microsoft.
    >
    > When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
    > Windows installation disk any more. Most people - including me - used to
    > clamor for a Windows disk in case we needed to repair or re-install
    > Windows. Those procedures have been largely superseded by backup
    > software, particularly by disk imaging. My computer is a year old now,
    > and I can't imagine wanting to erase the disk and start over; that's a
    > year's worth of updates and configuration settings to re-do from
    > scratch. Feh - who needs it. I just restore a good image.
    >
    > Daddy

    " When you stop to think about it, there really isn't much need for a
    Windows installation disk any more. "

    Unless I am missing something here, that statement is not entirely
    true. When I do a full backup and restore in Windows Vista, I am
    prompted for a Windows Vista Installation disk, other wise I can not
    do a full restore.

    Larry

    , Feb 16, 2011
  9. Brody

    Guest

    On Feb 16, 11:32 am, "Brian K" <> wrote:
    > When you buy a Dell computer in Australia it costs $2.50 extra if you want a
    > Win7 OS DVD.

    I am not sure about Win7, but in Windows Vista you will need the
    system re-installation DVD to do a restore from a Windows Vista full
    backup. Unless there is a different way that I am not familiar with.

    Larry

    , Feb 16, 2011
  10. Brody

    Brian K Guest

    If you have a Win7 image created by the Win7 app you need a Win7 restore
    disk (but you don't necessarily need the install disk) for the restore. You
    can make a "Win7 restore disk" in Win7.

    Brian K, Feb 17, 2011
  11. My Dell 9100 came with these discs:
    1. Dell Drivers and Documentation
    2. Dell Drivers and Utilities

    and I paid a few dollars extra for:
    3. "Operating System already installed on your computer: Reinstallation DVD
    Windows 7 Home Preminum 64-bit"

    --
    Peter Greenstein
    http://www.wakefieldjazz.com/

    Peter Greenstein, Feb 17, 2011
  12. Brody

    Bob Villa Guest

    On Feb 16, 4:05 am, Brody <> wrote:
    > Dell states their computers do not ship with a recovery disk.
    >
    > Do they ship with a Microsoft Operating System disk for reinstalling the o/s
    >
    > Thanks

    My recent purchase from Dell SB (February) included OS and driver
    discs at no additional cost.

    Bob Villa, Mar 4, 2011