    XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's different in Windows 7. I've
    got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    Thanks

    Monica, Mar 7, 2012

  2. Monica

    Pen Guest

    On 3/6/2012 11:02 PM, Monica wrote:
    > I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those
    > down. Maybe I'm not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm
    > right clicking on a process and choosing "end process". A
    > few minutes later, it's back. This particular process is
    > (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need it. How do I
    > permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes down
    > to about 30 in XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's
    > different in Windows 7. I've got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    > Thanks

    You need to stop the "service".

    ControlPanel\administrative tools\services

    Change the Startup Type to manual from Automatic. It will
    still run if needed.

    Pen, Mar 7, 2012

  3. Monica

    Daddy Guest

    Monica wrote:
    > I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those down. Maybe
    > I'm not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm right clicking on a
    > process and choosing "end process". A few minutes later, it's back.
    > This particular process is (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need
    > it. How do I permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes
    > down to about 30 in XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's
    > different in Windows 7. I've got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    > Thanks

    What made you decide on "30" processes? How did you choose 30 over 40 or 20?

    This question is the sign of someone who doesn't really understand what
    they're doing and should leave Windows alone.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 7, 2012
  4. Monica

    Monica Guest

    Thanks Pen. I did that right after I got the new computer but was very
    conservative with my changes since I was new to Win 7.
    You don't have all the auto services set to manual do you?

    Monica, Mar 8, 2012
  5. Monica

    Pen Guest

    On 3/7/2012 11:40 PM, Monica wrote:
    > Thanks Pen. I did that right after I got the new computer
    > but was very conservative with my changes since I was new to
    > Win 7.
    > You don't have all the auto services set to manual do you?
    >
    > "Pen" wrote in message news:jj6nfk$fgg$...
    > On 3/6/2012 11:02 PM, Monica wrote:
    >> I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those
    >> down. Maybe I'm not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm
    >> right clicking on a process and choosing "end process". A
    >> few minutes later, it's back. This particular process is
    >> (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need it. How do I
    >> permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes down
    >> to about 30 in XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's
    >> different in Windows 7. I've got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    >> Thanks

    > You need to stop the "service".
    >
    > ControlPanel\administrative tools\services
    >
    > Change the Startup Type to manual from Automatic. It will
    > still run if needed.

    Lord no. I use Black Viper for ideas about services.
    http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

    Pen, Mar 8, 2012
  6. Monica

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:02:09 -0600, "Monica" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those down. Maybe I'm
    >not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm right clicking on a process and
    >choosing "end process". A few minutes later, it's back. This particular
    >process is (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need it. How do I
    >permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes down to about 30 in
    >XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's different in Windows 7. I've
    >got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    >Thanks

    Going back the XP days, one of my favorite sites for which ones to
    keep and not keep came from Blackviper.com . I haven't been to his
    site in years but he still maintains it and I know at one time it was
    held in high regard. Once you know how to stop (etc..) a service, you
    may want to give his site a visit. And if you do, please let us know
    if you think it's still worthy of my recommendation.

    RnR, Mar 11, 2012
  7. Monica

    Daddy Guest

    RnR wrote:
    > On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:02:09 -0600, "Monica" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those down. Maybe I'm
    >> not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm right clicking on a process and
    >> choosing "end process". A few minutes later, it's back. This particular
    >> process is (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need it. How do I
    >> permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes down to about 30 in
    >> XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's different in Windows 7. I've
    >> got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    >> Thanks

    > Going back the XP days, one of my favorite sites for which ones to
    > keep and not keep came from Blackviper.com . I haven't been to his
    > site in years but he still maintains it and I know at one time it was
    > held in high regard. Once you know how to stop (etc..) a service, you
    > may want to give his site a visit. And if you do, please let us know
    > if you think it's still worthy of my recommendation.

    The problem with following BV's advice is 1) it doesn't really make a
    difference, and 2) it can cause trouble in the future.

    It doesn't really make a difference - because today's hardware is so
    fast and today's computers have plenty of RAM. Even back in the day when
    XP first came out, any difference in performance were usually negligible.

    It can cause trouble in the future - because software you install in the
    future may need the service(s) you disable today.

    In general, playing with an operating system without first acquiring a
    full knowledge of what you're doing, which includes instructions for
    recovering if your experiments go awry, is insane.

    This is not to say that you should never disable a service; but if
    you're going to do that, you need to have a specific reason for doing
    so. Wholesale dismantling of services under the guise of improving
    performance is a fool's game.

    Daddy

    Daddy, Mar 13, 2012
  8. Monica

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:47:26 -0400, Daddy <> wrote:

    >RnR wrote:
    >> On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 22:02:09 -0600, "Monica" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've got 81 processes running. I'm trying to whittle those down. Maybe I'm
    >>> not doing it right. In Task Manager, I'm right clicking on a process and
    >>> choosing "end process". A few minutes later, it's back. This particular
    >>> process is (Apple) MobileDeviceService. I don't need it. How do I
    >>> permanently stop processes? I used to keep processes down to about 30 in
    >>> XP. I've either forgotten how to it or it's different in Windows 7. I've
    >>> got a Dell XPS i7 8300
    >>> Thanks

    >> Going back the XP days, one of my favorite sites for which ones to
    >> keep and not keep came from Blackviper.com . I haven't been to his
    >> site in years but he still maintains it and I know at one time it was
    >> held in high regard. Once you know how to stop (etc..) a service, you
    >> may want to give his site a visit. And if you do, please let us know
    >> if you think it's still worthy of my recommendation.

    >The problem with following BV's advice is 1) it doesn't really make a
    >difference, and 2) it can cause trouble in the future.
    >
    >It doesn't really make a difference - because today's hardware is so
    >fast and today's computers have plenty of RAM. Even back in the day when
    >XP first came out, any difference in performance were usually negligible.
    >
    >It can cause trouble in the future - because software you install in the
    >future may need the service(s) you disable today.
    >
    >In general, playing with an operating system without first acquiring a
    >full knowledge of what you're doing, which includes instructions for
    >recovering if your experiments go awry, is insane.
    >
    >This is not to say that you should never disable a service; but if
    >you're going to do that, you need to have a specific reason for doing
    >so. Wholesale dismantling of services under the guise of improving
    >performance is a fool's game.
    >
    >Daddy

    His site used to give a good explanations for each service and gave
    some various scenarios to able/disable the mass amount of services. I
    haven't checked his site to know if it still does that. It can still
    make some differences abling and disabling services (ie: network
    services, ms bloatware, etc..) but I admit it isn't something the
    average person should do. And in general playing with an operating
    system (not just services... ie: registry editing) should be with
    knowledge not guessing or hoping.

    RnR, Mar 13, 2012
  9. On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:40:30 -0500, "RnR" <> posted:

    >On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 10:47:26 -0400, Daddy <> wrote:
    >
    >>RnR wrote:

    >>> Going back the XP days, one of my favorite sites for which ones to
    >>> keep and not keep came from Blackviper.com . I haven't been to his
    >>> site in years but he still maintains it and I know at one time it was
    >>> held in high regard. Once you know how to stop (etc..) a service, you
    >>> may want to give his site a visit. And if you do, please let us know
    >>> if you think it's still worthy of my recommendation.

    >>The problem with following BV's advice is 1) it doesn't really make a
    >>difference, and 2) it can cause trouble in the future.
    >>
    >>It doesn't really make a difference - because today's hardware is so
    >>fast and today's computers have plenty of RAM. Even back in the day when
    >>XP first came out, any difference in performance were usually negligible.
    >>
    >>It can cause trouble in the future - because software you install in the
    >>future may need the service(s) you disable today.
    >>
    >>In general, playing with an operating system without first acquiring a
    >>full knowledge of what you're doing, which includes instructions for
    >>recovering if your experiments go awry, is insane.
    >>
    >>This is not to say that you should never disable a service; but if
    >>you're going to do that, you need to have a specific reason for doing
    >>so. Wholesale dismantling of services under the guise of improving
    >>performance is a fool's game.
    >>
    >>Daddy

    >His site used to give a good explanations for each service and gave
    >some various scenarios to able/disable the mass amount of services. I
    >haven't checked his site to know if it still does that. It can still
    >make some differences abling and disabling services (ie: network
    >services, ms bloatware, etc..) but I admit it isn't something the
    >average person should do. And in general playing with an operating
    >system (not just services... ie: registry editing) should be with
    >knowledge not guessing or hoping.

    On the other hand, not configuring Windows to do what you want equates
    to guessing and hoping that MS has your best interests at heart.
    Unlikely. Windows is a tool, the user is the master. Taking what you
    get equates to being subservient to the slave.

    The average user has to have a backup and restore system that works.
    With that the user can be reckless (within reason, of course) with
    what steps are taken to control Windows. So one gets carried away
    disabling services - the computer won't explode... the very worst
    that can happen is that a backup is restored.

    Another area that the "default" needs to get hammered is Task
    Scheduler. There are scads of stuff that run for no particularly good
    reason other than, 'well, it gives Windows something to do'.

    The meek may inherit the earth, but in the meantime they don't have an
    efficient computer.

    nothing but net, Mar 13, 2012
  10. Monica

    RnR Guest

    On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:46:43 -0700, nothing but net <>
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 12:40:30 -0500, "RnR" <> posted:

    >>>The problem with following BV's advice is 1) it doesn't really make a
    >>>difference, and 2) it can cause trouble in the future.
    >>>
    >>>It doesn't really make a difference - because today's hardware is so
    >>>fast and today's computers have plenty of RAM. Even back in the day when
    >>>XP first came out, any difference in performance were usually negligible.
    >>>
    >>>It can cause trouble in the future - because software you install in the
    >>>future may need the service(s) you disable today.
    >>>
    >>>In general, playing with an operating system without first acquiring a
    >>>full knowledge of what you're doing, which includes instructions for
    >>>recovering if your experiments go awry, is insane.
    >>>
    >>>This is not to say that you should never disable a service; but if
    >>>you're going to do that, you need to have a specific reason for doing
    >>>so. Wholesale dismantling of services under the guise of improving
    >>>performance is a fool's game.
    >>>
    >>>Daddy

    >>His site used to give a good explanations for each service and gave
    >>some various scenarios to able/disable the mass amount of services. I
    >>haven't checked his site to know if it still does that. It can still
    >>make some differences abling and disabling services (ie: network
    >>services, ms bloatware, etc..) but I admit it isn't something the
    >>average person should do. And in general playing with an operating
    >>system (not just services... ie: registry editing) should be with
    >>knowledge not guessing or hoping.

    >On the other hand, not configuring Windows to do what you want equates
    >to guessing and hoping that MS has your best interests at heart.
    >Unlikely. Windows is a tool, the user is the master. Taking what you
    >get equates to being subservient to the slave.
    >
    >The average user has to have a backup and restore system that works.
    >With that the user can be reckless (within reason, of course) with
    >what steps are taken to control Windows. So one gets carried away
    >disabling services - the computer won't explode... the very worst
    >that can happen is that a backup is restored.
    >
    >Another area that the "default" needs to get hammered is Task
    >Scheduler. There are scads of stuff that run for no particularly good
    >reason other than, 'well, it gives Windows something to do'.
    >
    >The meek may inherit the earth, but in the meantime they don't have an
    >efficient computer.

    I agree with you except I think you are giving the average user too
    much credit. Some don't even know what version of windows they use,
    etc... .

    RnR, Mar 14, 2012