Windows Dual-Core hotfix 896296

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by DRS, Jul 2, 2006.

  1. DRS

    DRS Guest

    Microsoft updated hotfix 896296 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256/) in
    June 2006 from v3 to v3.1 (possibly to do with AMD AM2 and/or Intel Conroe
    support). They seem also to have removed the download and reverted to the
    original release policy of making people contact Microsoft support and hand
    over their credit card details and their first-born before Microsoft will
    deign to consider whether or not they will make it available.

    V3 is still available from
    http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe.

    1. Advertising

  2. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "DRS" <> wrote in message
    > Microsoft updated hotfix 896296
    > (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896256/) in June 2006 from v3 to
    > v3.1 (possibly to do with AMD AM2 and/or Intel Conroe support). They
    > seem also to have removed the download and reverted to the original
    > release policy of making people contact Microsoft support and hand
    > over their credit card details and their first-born before Microsoft
    > will deign to consider whether or not they will make it available.
    > V3 is still available from
    > http://www.amdzone.com/files/WinXPdualcorehotfix.exe.

    OK, I've found out a bit more. It seems a bunch of things happened in June.

    AMD released AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver for Windows XP and
    Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2. It is available from
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html.

    They simultaneously released what they call the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer.
    Someone has mistakenly put it on the Athlon 64/FX resources page at
    http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_9706,00.html.
    The blurb reads:

    "The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video
    performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows
    API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter)
    instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic
    in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power
    management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp
    Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct
    the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects
    that these applications may experience on dual-core or multiple processor
    systems."

    Since one of the things the 896256 hotfix addressed was applications
    directly accessing the TSC it may be that hotfix is now redundant with these
    two releases. I have yet to test this myself but early indications from
    someone who has installed the Dual Core Processor Driver 1.3.2 and the
    Dual-Core Optimizer but not the hotfix would indicate this may well be the
    case.

    I would be keen to hear from anyone who has tested this.