Windows Journal problem

Discussion in 'Tablet PC' started by JG, Sep 18, 2003.

  1. JG

    JG Guest

    I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
    start the program I get a message that says "can't find
    inking component" and the program won't start. I have
    tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
    newsgroup and Microsoft information.

    1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
    are correct. They are.

    2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
    inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
    the file even though I can find it in the registry using
    search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
    know exactly what to do..)

    3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
    the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
    message and the program does not continue.

    I am not sure what to try now.
    Help.

    Jim Gross

    JG, Sep 18, 2003

  2. JG

    Chris H. Guest

    Jim, I'd like to check a couple things here: (1) you are running #3 from
    the Command Prompt, not Start/Run, correct? and (2) you're letting the
    process complete? In the latter, there is no indication of the completion,
    and it does take a little time. You actually need to monitor you hard drive
    activity until it completes.

    There are additional steps to #3, which you didn't mention, that are covered
    in the MSKB article here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;824385&Product=winxp
    in Steps 7 and 8.

    You could also try this:
    =====
    - Tap Start, and then tap Control Panel.
    - In Control Panel, tap Regional and Language Options.

    - If you are set for Category View, tap Date, Time, Language, and Regional
    Options.
    On the Languages tab, tap Details.
    - In the Installed services section, verify that the following Advanced Text
    Services are installed:
    Tablet PC Correction
    Tablet PC Correction for Windows Journal
    Tablet PC Text Insertion
    - If these services are not listed, tap Add, and then select the missing
    services from the More Text Services drop-down list.
    - On the Advanced tab, tap to clear the Turn off advanced text services
    check box.
    - Tap to select the Extend support of advanced text services to all programs
    check box.
    - Tap OK, and then restart the computer.
    =====
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., Sep 22, 2003

  3. Jim,

    You've posted about this issue before and I've tried to contact you but have
    not received any response.

    Neither #1 nor #3 will do anything to solve the problem.

    In regards to #2, from the error you describe it seems as though this repair
    process is not completing successfully. I need you to follow the directions
    below exactly:

    1. Go to Start -> Run, and enter 'cmd' to open a command prompt.
    2. cd "\Program Files\Windows Journal" (yes, you need the quotes). You
    should be looking at the following prompt:
    C:\Program Files\Windows Journal>
    3. Enter 'dir' and verify that at least the following files exist:
    inkseg.dll
    nbdoc.dll
    mspvwctl.dll
    nbkintl.dll
    4. If inkseg.dll exists, run 'regsvr32 inkseg.dll', and let me know the
    output.

    Please let me know if any of these files are missing. If they are, I would
    recommend running the System File Checker utility; go to Start -> Run, and
    enter "sfc /scannow".

    Thanks!

    --
    Dan

    ---

    Dan Polivy [MS], Sep 22, 2003
  4. JG

    JG Guest

    Dan,
    All of the files are there. When I ran:
    C:\program files\windows journal>regsvr32 inkseg.dll
    the computer did not even pause before it shows the prompt:
    C:\program files\windows journal>

    in other words, nothing happened. No message at all.

    Please help me!
    Thanks,
    Jim

    It may be easier to get in touch with me through this e-
    mail

    or call me at
    914-337-0666 (home)
    718-432-3326 (work)

[...]

    confers no rights.

    "JG" <> wrote in message
    > I have a problem with Windows Journal. When I try to
    > start the program I get a message that says "can't find
    > inking component" and the program won't start. I have
    > tried several thing to fix it as per advice on this
    > newsgroup and Microsoft information.
    >
    > 1. I have made sure the settings the "language" tab
    > are correct. They are.
    >
    > 2. I have tried to unregister and re-register
    > inkseg.dll, but the registry editor says it cannot find
    > the file even though I can find it in the registry using
    > search (I do not want to mess with the registry unless I
    > know exactly what to do..)
    >
    > 3. I tried to run Journal.exe /repairnotewriter from
    > the "cmd" prompt, but I get the same "Inking component"
    > message and the program does not continue.
    >
    > I am not sure what to try now.
    > Help.
    >
    > Jim Gross

    confers no rights.