Windows restarts. CPU overheating?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Matt Urbanowski, Sep 16, 2008.

  1. Hi,
    I've just installed new motherboard (Gigabyte), new CPU (core 2 duo
    3GHz) with 4GB RAM and new PSU (550w).

    When first booting the computer, everything was fine. Windows started
    OK, I installed the moterboard drivers etc and restarted. However, now
    when I reboot the computer, as soon as windows has loaded, it resets
    itself.

    I am wondering if this may be the CPU overheating or not, as I
    experienced this a long time ago...
    The bios says the temperature is about 35-40c which seems very good.
    Windows loads in safe mode, and SpeedFan told me the temperature is
    about 63c which seems a bit high. Unfortunately I cant load SpeedFan
    in normal mode quick enough because it resets instantly, no beeps or
    anything.

    I've set the bios settings for it to alarm when the temperature goes
    over 60c, but I cant hear anything.. although that may be because
    there's no internal speaker :)

    Anyone know if it's definately overheating and I should get a new
    heatsink/fan (cause those stupid things are so hard to put on)?
    or maybe it is a driver issue?

    Thanks!

    1. Advertising

  2. On 16 Sep, 09:29, Matt Urbanowski <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've just installed new motherboard (Gigabyte), new CPU (core 2 duo
    > 3GHz) with 4GB RAM and new PSU (550w).
    >
    > When first booting the computer, everything was fine. Windows started
    > OK, I installed the moterboard drivers etc and restarted. However, now
    > when I reboot the computer, as soon as windows has loaded, it resets
    > itself.
    >
    > I am wondering if this may be the CPU overheating or not, as I
    > experienced this a long time ago...
    > The bios says the temperature is about 35-40c which seems very good.
    > Windows loads in safe mode, and SpeedFan told me the temperature is
    > about 63c which seems a bit high. Unfortunately I cant load SpeedFan
    > in normal mode quick enough because it resets instantly, no beeps or
    > anything.
    >
    > I've set the bios settings for it to alarm when the temperature goes
    > over 60c, but I cant hear anything.. although that may be because
    > there's no internal speaker :)
    >
    > Anyone know if it's definately overheating and I should get a new
    > heatsink/fan (cause those stupid things are so hard to put on)?
    > or maybe it is a driver issue?
    >
    > Thanks!

    Finally managed to get SpeedFan to run before the computer reset and
    it said about 40-45c just before restarting so I'm now guessing that's
    not the problem! :)
    Next, will try and uninstall motherboard drivers if possible,
    otherwise reinstall Windows.

    1. Advertising

  3. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Matt Urbanowski <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I've just installed new motherboard (Gigabyte), new CPU (core 2 duo
    > 3GHz) with 4GB RAM and new PSU (550w).

    > When first booting the computer, everything was fine. Windows started
    > OK, I installed the moterboard drivers etc and restarted. However, now
    > when I reboot the computer, as soon as windows has loaded, it resets
    > itself.

    > I am wondering if this may be the CPU overheating or not, as I
    > experienced this a long time ago...

    Modern PC CPUs just clock themselves down on overheating, so
    that should not be it.

    > The bios says the temperature is about 35-40c which seems very good.
    > Windows loads in safe mode, and SpeedFan told me the temperature is
    > about 63c which seems a bit high. Unfortunately I cant load SpeedFan
    > in normal mode quick enough because it resets instantly, no beeps or
    > anything.

    > I've set the bios settings for it to alarm when the temperature goes
    > over 60c, but I cant hear anything.. although that may be because
    > there's no internal speaker :)

    > Anyone know if it's definately overheating and I should get a new
    > heatsink/fan (cause those stupid things are so hard to put on)?
    > or maybe it is a driver issue?

    It may be a lot of things. Overheating of the CPU is unlikely.
    It could be chipset or PSYU overheating, though.

    Tests you can run:

    - Memory test wioth memtest86+
    - Boot adifferent OS, e.g. Linux in the form of Knoppix
    (needs no install and does not mess with your disks)
    and see whether that crashes as well.
    - Remove all add-in cards and disable all integrated peripherials
    excepy for the barely needed ones.
    - Stay in the BIOS PC health screen for some minutes and see
    whether that crashes.
    - Try with a different PSU

    Arno

  4. On 16 Sep, 15:47, wrote:
    > On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:29:44 -0700 (PDT), Matt Urbanowski
    >

    > <> wrote:
    > >Hi,
    > >I've just installed new motherboard (Gigabyte), new CPU (core 2 duo
    > >3GHz) with 4GB RAM and new PSU (550w).

    > >When first booting the computer, everything was fine. Windows started
    > >OK, I installed the moterboard drivers etc and restarted. However, now
    > >when I reboot the computer, as soon as windows has loaded, it resets
    > >itself.

    > >I am wondering if this may be the CPU overheating or not, as I
    > >experienced this a long time ago...
    > >The bios says the temperature is about 35-40c which seems very good.
    > >Windows loads in safe mode, and SpeedFan told me the temperature is
    > >about 63c which seems a bit high. Unfortunately I cant load SpeedFan
    > >in normal mode quick enough because it resets instantly, no beeps or
    > >anything.

    > >I've set the bios settings for it to alarm when the temperature goes
    > >over 60c, but I cant hear anything.. although that may be because
    > >there's no internal speaker :)

    > >Anyone know if it's definately overheating and I should get a new
    > >heatsink/fan (cause those stupid things are so hard to put on)?
    > >or maybe it is a driver issue?

    > >Thanks!

    > You have a driver problem. I bet it starts fine in safe mode.- Hide quoted text -

    Yes, hoping it is a driver problem.
    Although the temperature was reaching 65-70c. Is this normal? Guessing
    it is a tiny bit higher than it should be, but this isn't the problem!

  5. Arno Wagner

    Arno Wagner Guest

    Previously Matt Urbanowski <> wrote:
    > On 16 Sep, 15:47, wrote:
    >> On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:29:44 -0700 (PDT), Matt Urbanowski
    >>

    >> <> wrote:
    >> >Hi,
    >> >I've just installed new motherboard (Gigabyte), new CPU (core 2 duo
    >> >3GHz) with 4GB RAM and new PSU (550w).

    >> >When first booting the computer, everything was fine. Windows started
    >> >OK, I installed the moterboard drivers etc and restarted. However, now
    >> >when I reboot the computer, as soon as windows has loaded, it resets
    >> >itself.

    >> >I am wondering if this may be the CPU overheating or not, as I
    >> >experienced this a long time ago...
    >> >The bios says the temperature is about 35-40c which seems very good.
    >> >Windows loads in safe mode, and SpeedFan told me the temperature is
    >> >about 63c which seems a bit high. Unfortunately I cant load SpeedFan
    >> >in normal mode quick enough because it resets instantly, no beeps or
    >> >anything.

    >> >I've set the bios settings for it to alarm when the temperature goes
    >> >over 60c, but I cant hear anything.. although that may be because
    >> >there's no internal speaker :)

    >> >Anyone know if it's definately overheating and I should get a new
    >> >heatsink/fan (cause those stupid things are so hard to put on)?
    >> >or maybe it is a driver issue?

    >> >Thanks!

    >> You have a driver problem. I bet it starts fine in safe mode.- Hide quoted text -

    > Yes, hoping it is a driver problem.
    > Although the temperature was reaching 65-70c. Is this normal? Guessing
    > it is a tiny bit higher than it should be, but this isn't the problem!

    Depending on the CPU model, 70C may not be high.

    Arno