    puts on the PC from the factory.
    Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking to
    pirate the OS or install it illegally.

    Justin, Nov 16, 2008

  2. Justin

    Ben Myers Guest

    HH wrote:
    > You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and they
    >> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to
    >> put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo the
    >> crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
    >> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
    >> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

    For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
    Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
    doing the recovery... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Nov 16, 2008

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    HH wrote:
    > You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
    >
    > HH
    >
    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and they
    >> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to
    >> put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo the
    >> crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
    >> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
    >> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

    Hence I want to "order" it.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  4. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > HH wrote:
    >> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
    >>
    >> HH
    >>
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem. I tested them and
    >>> they work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium
    >>> 64 to put on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want aoo
    >>> the crap HP puts on the PC from the factory.
    >>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking
    >>> to pirate the OS or install it illegally.

    > For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
    > Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
    > doing the recovery... Ben Myers

    Oh, but I can't.
    There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
    My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  5. Justin

    Justin Guest

    HH wrote:
    > Strange. I had no problems uninstalling all the HP junk on my DV9910US
    > notebook.
    >
    > HH
    >

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full
    >>> fledged Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed
    >>> crap after doing the recovery... Ben Myers

    >> Oh, but I can't.
    >> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
    >> My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

    Strange indeed.
    nevertheless that's the truth.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  6. Justin

    firesteel Guest

    On Nov 16, 8:06 pm, Justin <> wrote:
    > I have the recovery DVDs mode with no problem.  I tested them and they
    > work fine.  But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to put
    > on the laptop.

    Sounds like a job for vLite

    firesteel, Nov 17, 2008
  7. Justin

    - Bobb - Guest

    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have made the recovery DVDs with no problem. I tested them and they
    >>> work fine. But I want a plain Jane copy of Vista Home Premium 64 to put
    >>> on the laptop. I want to do this because I don't want all the crap HP
    >>> puts on the PC from the factory.
    >>> Do I contact Microsoft, or HP? I have a valid COA so I'm not looking to
    >>> pirate the OS or install it illegally.

    I'm not being mean - just explaining ... Your COA is for the "Version that
    includes the crap". You are "licensed" for the version that the OEM
    installed on that model PC. The retail ( no-crap) version of Vista 64 costs
    maybe $299 and the OEM version came"for free" with the PC, BECAUSE it had
    all the add-on crap. Vongo, AOL, and all of the other crapware vendors paid
    HP to be on that PC. You won't find a "clean version" at HP to buy. And
    Microsoft's view is "you bought the cheap version from them - not us. If you
    want a 'clean /retail version', it's $299" ( or whatever the retail price
    is.) It comes with its own license AND it will run on any PC ( unlike the
    HP version)
    Again - I'm not arguing - just explaining. We've all been done this path
    before.

    First, download trial or buy - Acronis True Image , or Norton Ghost 2003 (
    NOT Ghost Save & Restore)

    What I did was:
    1. uninstall all of the crap. Reboot.
    2. Install all wanted updates. Reboot.
    3. Tweak desktop - menus etc.
    4. Run Crap Cleaner in manual mode and choose to purge all unnecessary (
    temp/installation) files.
    Drive is now clean.
    5. Boot disk imaging app.
    6. Save THAT image of my C partition - via Norton Ghost - to CD or an
    external drive. When/if needed , Use Ghost and the restore happens
    'crap-free'. If you want BOTH partitions ( so you can use restore points),
    then image the DRIVE not just the C partition. If you like, you can create
    the backup to CD/DVD's by selecting that option in Ghost "OPTIONS". It will
    prompt for CD #1, CD#2, etc.

    Note:
    Ghost 2003 is based on Symantec Corporate version of Ghost.
    Other recent retail versions of Ghost are based on Backup Exec - a product
    they bought.. It was designed for data protection - not "disk cloning " etc.
    So you want the version that is ( could be) bootable from floppy or CD -
    not the version that can only be run from Windows.

    - Bobb -, Nov 17, 2008
  8. Justin

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    >> HH wrote:
    >>> You contact neither unless you are willing to pay for it.
    >>>
    >>> HH
    >>>
    >>> "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full fledged
    >> Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed crap after
    >> doing the recovery... Ben Myers

    > Oh, but I can't.
    > There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall. My
    > only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

    CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?

    Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
    http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10892747
    Watch the video for an overview of Revo

    - Bobb -, Nov 17, 2008
  9. Justin

    Justin Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> Ben Myers wrote:

    >>> For the cost of the recovery CD (nil) versus the cost of a full
    >>> fledged Vista install CD (too much), remove the HP factory installed
    >>> crap after doing the recovery... Ben Myers

    >> Oh, but I can't.
    >> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
    >> My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

    > CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?
    >
    > Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
    > http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10892747
    >
    > Watch the video for an overview of Revo

    Here we go...

    It allows me to uninstall some things, but not everything. There are a
    few HP applications that do NOT allow me to uninstall.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  10. Justin

    Justin Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    >>> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    > I'm not being mean - just explaining ... Your COA is for the "Version

    SNIP

    > from floppy or CD - not the version that can only be run from Windows.

    I understand and I also don't care. One way or another I'm installing a
    clean OEM copy of the OS on this PC. I can either order a CD/DVD
    online, or download it through BT. It make no difference to me.
    I have been in IT since 1996, I know Norton Ghost and whatnot. I hate
    Symantec. Buggy applications and useless junk which is what I want to
    avoid.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  11. Justin

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >> I'm not being mean - just explaining ...

    > I understand and I also don't care.

    I don't think you do. There is no " CLEAN OEM VERSION". The HP part number
    for OEM version of Vista your PC has the crap and the drivers etc. THAT's
    what makes it OEM. It will be like you just brought it home and turned it
    on for the first time.
    HP has 'Recovery Discs' - not full blown Vista "Install CD's" that you can
    tweak to install something and not others.
    If you want to wipe the drive, you can recovery from parttition, or use The
    Backup DVD's that you made.

    > One way or another I'm installing a clean OEM copy of the OS on this PC. I
    > can either order a CD/DVD online, or download it through BT. It make no
    > difference to me.

    If you did NOT do a backup and you want to buy those DVD's, they'll sell
    them to you:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lang=en&product=3690383&docname=c00810334

    > I have been in IT since 1996,

    So if you've every restored an OEM PC, you know - you pop CD in and boot ,
    it wipes drive and you're back to factory version of drive. No tweaking.

    > I know Norton Ghost and whatnot. I hate Symantec. Buggy applications and
    > useless junk which is what I want
    > to avoid.

    Have a nice day.

    - Bobb -, Nov 17, 2008
  12. Justin

    Justin Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I'm not being mean - just explaining ...

    >> I understand and I also don't care.

    > I don't think you do. There is no " CLEAN OEM VERSION". The HP part
    > number for OEM version of Vista your PC has the crap and the drivers
    > etc. THAT's what makes it OEM. It will be like you just brought it home
    > and turned it on for the first time.
    > HP has 'Recovery Discs' - not full blown Vista "Install CD's" that you
    > can tweak to install something and not others.
    > If you want to wipe the drive, you can recovery from parttition, or use
    > The Backup DVD's that you made.
    >

    >> One way or another I'm installing a clean OEM copy of the OS on this
    >> PC. I can either order a CD/DVD online, or download it through BT. It
    >> make no difference to me.

    > If you did NOT do a backup and you want to buy those DVD's, they'll sell
    > them to you:
    >
    > http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lang=en&product=3690383&docname=c00810334
    >

    >> I have been in IT since 1996,

    > So if you've every restored an OEM PC, you know - you pop CD in and boot
    > , it wipes drive and you're back to factory version of drive. No tweaking.

    That's not true. There are OEM DVDs out there with just the Windows
    install.
    I have done this before. I talked to HP and they won't sell me just a
    DVD with Windows on it.

    Go on ebay and search for Windows Vista full OEM.

    Justin, Nov 17, 2008
  13. On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 16:41:27 -0500, Justin
    <> wrote:

    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >>
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >>> I understand and I also don't care.

    >> I don't think you do. There is no " CLEAN OEM VERSION". The HP part
    >> number for OEM version of Vista your PC has the crap and the drivers
    >> etc. THAT's what makes it OEM. It will be like you just brought it home
    >> and turned it on for the first time.
    >> HP has 'Recovery Discs' - not full blown Vista "Install CD's" that you
    >> can tweak to install something and not others.
    >> If you want to wipe the drive, you can recovery from parttition, or use
    >> The Backup DVD's that you made.
    >>

    >>> One way or another I'm installing a clean OEM copy of the OS on this
    >>> PC. I can either order a CD/DVD online, or download it through BT. It
    >>> make no difference to me.

    >> If you did NOT do a backup and you want to buy those DVD's, they'll sell
    >> them to you:
    >>
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lang=en&product=3690383&docname=c00810334
    >>

    >>> I have been in IT since 1996,

    >> So if you've every restored an OEM PC, you know - you pop CD in and boot
    >> , it wipes drive and you're back to factory version of drive. No tweaking.
    >>

    >That's not true. There are OEM DVDs out there with just the Windows
    >install.
    >I have done this before. I talked to HP and they won't sell me just a
    >DVD with Windows on it.
    >
    >Go on ebay and search for Windows Vista full OEM.

    I think Microsoft calls them "OEM System Builder Channel software",
    and they come with this disclaimer:
    "Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the
    terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is
    intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale.
    This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to
    provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be
    transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire
    Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our
    full package "Retail" product offerings."

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116485

    Some sellers of these versions of Windows would throw an old, defunct
    piece of scrap in the shipping box with the OS, to meet some sort of
    requirement by Microsoft that they only be sold with hardware. I
    don't know if they still have to do that.
    --
    "...Amusing, yet not without a certain understated omniscience"

    Eric Tiberius Duckman, Nov 18, 2008
  14. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Frank Hahn wrote:
    > Justin <> wrote in
    >
    >> That's not true. There are OEM DVDs out there with just the Windows
    >> install.
    >> I have done this before. I talked to HP and they won't sell me just a
    >> DVD with Windows on it.
    >>
    >> Go on ebay and search for Windows Vista full OEM.
    >>

    > Justin:
    >
    > This program may be an option:
    >
    > http://www.pcdecrapifier.com/home
    >
    > I have not tried it but have seen it mentioned elsewhere. It might be worth
    > a go after a fresh install. Then use your favorite image software.
    >
    > Someone else mentioned vLite. That may be a possibility but I would guess
    > that the CD/DVD that came from the manufacturer is so screwed up that it
    > can't be used to create this CD/DVD. Might be worth a shot though.
    >
    > http://www.vlite.net/
    >
    > Good luck.

    It looks like a decent program, but in my traditionalist opinion it is
    an improper solution. That's like saying 25 stitches across somebody's
    forehead is a proper solution to a car accident; whereas an airbag and
    seatbelt would have been a better choice. While being a decent product;
    it is a "reactive" solution to a problem.

    I want a clean no bullshit install of Windows Vista. Period.
    No HP ink toner monitors, no SIMS (I have a life), no HP flash Games, no
    HP system helper, no HP memory Hog coded by Ho Chi Minh's cousin.

    Also, I disagree with the other statement where the Operating system is
    "free" to HP and I'm required ot have all that other crap on there. I'd
    love to see some legalese documentation that states I'm violating the
    EULA by using my COA number that is on the bottom of the machine and a
    standard OEM copy. HP probably doesn't WANT me to do that, because they
    loose revenue every time I get rid of that "order genuine HP toner now!"
    popup every time I print an income statement.

    Justin, Nov 18, 2008
  15. Justin

    - Bobb - Guest

    "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >- Bobb - wrote:
    >>
    >> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >>> I understand and I also don't care.

    >> I don't think you do. There is no " CLEAN OEM VERSION". The HP part
    >> number for OEM version of Vista your PC has the crap and the drivers etc.
    >> THAT's what makes it OEM. It will be like you just brought it home and
    >> turned it on for the first time.
    >> HP has 'Recovery Discs' - not full blown Vista "Install CD's" that you
    >> can tweak to install something and not others.
    >> If you want to wipe the drive, you can recovery from parttition, or use
    >> The Backup DVD's that you made.
    >>

    >>> One way or another I'm installing a clean OEM copy of the OS on this PC.
    >>> I can either order a CD/DVD online, or download it through BT. It make
    >>> no difference to me.

    >> If you did NOT do a backup and you want to buy those DVD's, they'll sell
    >> them to you:
    >>
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lang=en&product=3690383&docname=c00810334
    >>> I have been in IT since 1996,

    >> So if you've every restored an OEM PC, you know - you pop CD in and boot
    >> , it wipes drive and you're back to factory version of drive. No
    >> tweaking.
    >>

    > That's not true. There are OEM DVDs out there with just the Windows
    > install.
    > I have done this before. I talked to HP and they won't sell me just a DVD
    > with Windows on it.
    >
    > Go on ebay and search for Windows Vista full OEM.

    Sure you can buy a "Generic OEM " CD ( legal issues aside), but I get the
    impression that you think that HP MADE one for your model PC and they just
    "won't sell them to you". They did NOT MAKE ONE. Their idea of reinstalling
    is for user to create DVD's and put them aside. When you reinstall - Tada -
    same crap as when you bought it. True, Dell and others DO include an OEM
    version with many of their models, but HP DID NOT.
    As for "getting it from Microsoft ( your original question), read the EULA
    on your PC and you'll see that MSFT has nothing to do with that HP installed
    version of Vista either.

    That "Windows Vista full OEM" you speak of is NOT sold/given by
    manufacturers to end users - it is for use by PC distributors. They then
    load whatever drivers needed etc. The idea is that they use the same CD and
    install ( buy) a new key for each PC. Look on Newegg.com
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488
    and on the SPECS tab for the product, you'll read:
    "Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of
    the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for
    pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System
    Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support
    for the Windows ".

    You've been in IT for tens years ... at the office when a desktop PC needs
    a hard drive replaced - what do you do ? Everywhere I ever worked we saved
    an image of each model on the server and used some imaging app ( like Ghost)
    to reinstall the image to the 'bad pc' over network. With the version that
    HP ships, THAT's what you need to do - make a gold image and save it as YOUR
    image.
    Calling/ asking HP to give you a retail version isn't gonna get you
    anywhere.

    - Bobb -, Nov 18, 2008
  16. Justin <> wrote:
    > - Bobb - wrote:
    > >
    > > "Justin" <> wrote in message

    > >> Oh, but I can't.
    > >> There all sorts of HP junk on there that don't allow me to uninstall.
    > >> My only option in Control Panel is to repair, not uninstall.

    > > CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?
    > >
    > > Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
    > > http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10892747
    > >
    > > Watch the video for an overview of Revo

    > Here we go...
    >
    > It allows me to uninstall some things, but not everything. There are a
    > few HP applications that do NOT allow me to uninstall.

    And the (exact) *names* of those "few HP applications" *are*?

    Perhaps these applications can be uninstalled by *other* methods than
    Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program?

    FWIW, I have never had such a problem with any of my (three) HP PCs.

    And I just checked the Control Panel "Uninstall or change a program"
    list on my HP Vista Home Premium system and *all* of the sixty odd
    programs had a 'Uninstall' choice!

    Frank Slootweg, Nov 18, 2008
  17. Justin

    Justin Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:

    > "Justin" <> wrote in message
    >> - Bobb - wrote:
    >>>
    >>> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >>> I don't think you do. There is no " CLEAN OEM VERSION". The HP part
    >>> number for OEM version of Vista your PC has the crap and the drivers
    >>> etc. THAT's what makes it OEM. It will be like you just brought it
    >>> home and turned it on for the first time.
    >>> HP has 'Recovery Discs' - not full blown Vista "Install CD's" that
    >>> you can tweak to install something and not others.
    >>> If you want to wipe the drive, you can recovery from parttition, or
    >>> use The Backup DVD's that you made.

    >>> If you did NOT do a backup and you want to buy those DVD's, they'll
    >>> sell them to you:
    >>>
    >>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=us&lang=en&product=3690383&docname=c00810334

    >>> So if you've every restored an OEM PC, you know - you pop CD in and
    >>> boot , it wipes drive and you're back to factory version of drive. No
    >>> tweaking.
    >>>

    >> That's not true. There are OEM DVDs out there with just the Windows
    >> install.
    >> I have done this before. I talked to HP and they won't sell me just a
    >> DVD with Windows on it.
    >>
    >> Go on ebay and search for Windows Vista full OEM.

    > Sure you can buy a "Generic OEM " CD ( legal issues aside), but I get
    > the impression that you think that HP MADE one for your model PC and
    > they just "won't sell them to you". They did NOT MAKE ONE. Their idea of
    > reinstalling is for user to create DVD's and put them aside. When you
    > reinstall - Tada - same crap as when you bought it. True, Dell and
    > others DO include an OEM version with many of their models, but HP DID NOT.
    > As for "getting it from Microsoft ( your original question), read the
    > EULA on your PC and you'll see that MSFT has nothing to do with that HP
    > installed version of Vista either.
    >
    > That "Windows Vista full OEM" you speak of is NOT sold/given by
    > manufacturers to end users - it is for use by PC distributors. They then
    > load whatever drivers needed etc. The idea is that they use the same CD
    > and install ( buy) a new key for each PC. Look on Newegg.com
    > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488
    > and on the SPECS tab for the product, you'll read:
    > "Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms
    > of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended
    > for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM
    > System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end
    > user support for the Windows ".
    >
    > You've been in IT for tens years ... at the office when a desktop PC
    > needs a hard drive replaced - what do you do ?

    I reinstall Windows. I don't recover from the manufacturer's media - I
    never did. I reinstall from a generic plain Jane Windows CD.
    Or I use a slipstream - I don't use images.

    > we saved an image of each model on the server and used some imaging app
    > ( like Ghost) to reinstall the image to the 'bad pc' over network. With
    > the version that HP ships, THAT's what you need to do - make a gold
    > image and save it as YOUR image.
    > Calling/ asking HP to give you a retail version isn't gonna get you
    > anywhere.

    Indeed, it wont get me anywhere hence I downloaded a generic OEM CD off
    IRC and now have a _fully_activated_ clean install of Vista Home Premium
    (64) ready to rock.

    Justin, Nov 19, 2008
  18. Justin

    Justin Guest

    Frank Slootweg wrote:
    > Justin <> wrote:
    >> - Bobb - wrote:
    >>> "Justin" <> wrote in message

    >>> CP gives NO option to UNinstall anything ?
    >>>
    >>> Most popular Uninstallers downloads:
    >>> http://www.download.com/Revo-Uninstaller/3000-2096_4-10687648.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10892747
    >>>
    >>> Watch the video for an overview of Revo

    >> Here we go...
    >>
    >> It allows me to uninstall some things, but not everything. There are a
    >> few HP applications that do NOT allow me to uninstall.

    > And the (exact) *names* of those "few HP applications" *are*?

    I forget. I can't go back since I have everything installed now, thanks
    to a downloaded copy of the Vista DVD.

    > Perhaps these applications can be uninstalled by *other* methods than
    > Start -> Control Panel -> Uninstall a program?
    >
    > FWIW, I have never had such a problem with any of my (three) HP PCs.

    Well, then dip your shit in gold.

    > And I just checked the Control Panel "Uninstall or change a program"
    > list on my HP Vista Home Premium system and *all* of the sixty odd
    > programs had a 'Uninstall' choice!

    See above comment.

    http://img406.imageshack.us/my.php?image=activationtv1.jpg
    http://img525.imageshack.us/my.php?image=propertieseg6.jpg