Windows won't start with new PCI card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by J, May 26, 2004.

  1. J

    J Guest

    Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
    USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the "New
    Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the back
    of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
    drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
    now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
    Windows won't load.

    I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
    effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
    ideas? TY.

    ---

    J, May 26, 2004

  2. J

    Brigitte J. Guest

    "J" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
    > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

    "New
    > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

    back
    > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
    > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
    > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
    > Windows won't load.
    >
    > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
    > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
    > ideas? TY.
    >

    > ---

    I had this problem once. It was due to a bad PCI slot. That old
    motherboard only had 3 PCI slots, so I ended up tossing the board and
    upgrading the entire system. Have you tried the device in a different PCI
    slot?

    Brigitte

    Brigitte J., May 26, 2004

  3. J

    J Guest

    "Brigitte J." <> wrote in message

    > "J" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali

    M5271
    > > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

    > "New
    > > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

    > back
    > > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all

    the
    > > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then,

    and
    > > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
    > > Windows won't load.
    > >
    > > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with

    no
    > > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
    > > ideas? TY.

    > I had this problem once. It was due to a bad PCI slot. That old
    > motherboard only had 3 PCI slots, so I ended up tossing the board and
    > upgrading the entire system. Have you tried the device in a different PCI
    > slot?
    >
    > Brigitte

    Oops, yes I forgot to mention I tried at least 2 other slots. Also, I have
    another USB card which I removed. Neither of these things helped. :(

    ---

    J, May 26, 2004
  4. J

    John Donson Guest

    :
    : I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
    : effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
    : ideas? TY.
    :

    You seem to have tried to boot up with devices connected to the card on the
    first boot up. Try booting without anything connected to the card.

    Try booting up without checking for new hardware on startup.

    John Donson, May 26, 2004
  5. "J" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi, I'm using WindowsMe, on P3-933 Dell4100. Just installed an Ali M5271
    > USB2.0 + Firewire PCI card. First issue was windows would hang at the

    "New
    > Hardware Found..." box. I happened to touch my printer USB plug to the

    back
    > of the card & it then continued loading! Huh? It seemed to load all the
    > drivers properly and the USB ports at least seemed to work. But then, and
    > now, the computer won't restart. I get the initial start screens but
    > Windows won't load.
    >
    > I tried toggling the PnP and Legacy USB Support items in the BIOS with no
    > effect. Remove the new card and everything works properly again. Any
    > ideas? TY.
    >

    > ---

    The PCI bus specification evaluated over time. Don't know the current
    version. Guess it's 2.2. Most of the times new MOBOs are downward
    compatible with older PCI cards, but the other way around often fails. Had
    the same problem with a new USB2 card some time ago. If I remember well the
    MOBOs version was 2.0 and it did not accept two different PCI cards. One
    seemed to install well but didn't function and blocked the floppy drive as
    well. A second one simply hang the system from the very beginning of the
    boot procedure. A third one, also claiming to be PCI 2.2 compatible,
    nevertheless ran like a race horse.

    petrus bitbyter

    ---

    petrus bitbyter, May 26, 2004
  6. I had that problem once, had major problems getting it to work under ME, (it
    would crash every 10mins under normal working conditions - nevermind driver
    conflicts). I then got rid of the piece of crap that is ME and got XP Pro
    SP1, I just needed some extra RAM to support it. XP recognised all the cards
    including the 1394 FireWire immediately and installed the correct drivers
    first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even my XP
    seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading towards a
    reformat]

    If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up your system
    and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely fix your
    1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable when
    installed on a suitably specified machine.

    Regards
    AC

    Alistair Cowan, May 26, 2004
  7. J

    Dan Rather Guest

    Hello:

    I am running WindowsMe and also had a similar problem. I looked on my
    motherboard's website and downloaded the newest chipset drivers and a
    patch that was suppose to fix USB related problems. I also disabled
    the APIC function in the BIOS. After that the problem resolved itself.
    You can also try USBMan on the web, located at www.usbman.com/ This
    guy is incredible at fixing USB related issues.

    Good luck!

    Dan Rather, May 26, 2004
  8. J

    J Guest

    "Dan Rather" <> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I am running WindowsMe and also had a similar problem. I looked on my
    > motherboard's website and downloaded the newest chipset drivers and a
    > patch that was suppose to fix USB related problems. I also disabled
    > the APIC function in the BIOS. After that the problem resolved itself.
    > You can also try USBMan on the web, located at www.usbman.com/ This
    > guy is incredible at fixing USB related issues.
    >
    > Good luck!

    Thanks for everyone's input. I never had anything connected to the card at
    boot up. XP isn't really an option for me right now. I went to usbman
    website & cleaned out Device Manager in Safe Mode. No effect.

    As for updates, I went to the Intel site. (My main board: Intel 815EEA).
    Most of the drivers are things like Audio Driver, IDE Storage driver, INF
    update, etc. Then, there are ExpressBIOS and IflashBIOS updates. Do I
    install all this? Furthermore, Dell has an A11 version of my BIOS (mine is
    A06). Which of the 3 BIOS files do I use, if any? I'm getting pretty sick
    of this nonsense; soon I'm gonna try a different card :(

    ---

    J, May 27, 2004
  9. J

    Pen Guest

    Don't install any BIOS updates except from the Dell site.
    Dell's site will tell you what the updates do. However,
    you definitely need to try a different card at this point.

    "J" <> wrote in message

> [...]

    the
    > cards
    > > >including the 1394 FireWire immediately and installed the correct

    drivers
    > > >first time around. Saved alot of problems. [Having said that even

    my XP
    > > >seems to be getting more unreliable with time - think I'm heading

    towards
    > > >reformat]
    > > >
    > > >If you can't get it working any other way I'd advise backing up

    your
    > system
    > > >and installing a clean install of XP, even if it doesn't completely

    fix
    > your
    > > >1394 difficulties completely it's still a hell of a lot more stable

    when
    > > >installed on a suitably specified machine.

    22/05/2004

    Pen, May 27, 2004