Windows XP compatable for Packard Bell

Discussion in 'Packard Bell' started by whayface, May 26, 2005.

  1. whayface

    whayface Guest

    I purchased a PB system back just before they stopped selling them in US and it came with
    a ReadyScan 636i USB scanner.

    I upgraded OS to XP Home and now the drivers for the ReadyScan 636i USB scanner are noe XP
    compatable and all the ones I find on web are not either. Can someone help me out here as
    to where I might find new driver?

    I went to packardbell site and nec site but ------------------

    The drivers I need are:

    NTKERN.VXD
    PMXSCAN.SYS
    PMXUSB.CPL
    PMXUSB.INF
    VMM32.VXD

    Thanks much

    E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

    whayface, May 26, 2005

  2. whayface

    Ben Myers Guest

    There are two ways to approach this one:

    1. Determine the original manufacturer of the scanner. For sure, it was not
    made by the little elves at PB before they all got laid off. Go to the
    manufacturer's web site and download the XP software for the scanner, if any
    exists.

    2. Buy a commercial grade scanning software package with universal support for
    USB and SCSI scanners. They start at around $50... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 26, 2005

  3. Try the link for what it's worth. NEC seems to have dropped any mention of
    this scanner and their link to Priority One was a waste of time. The driver
    is a hacked version, so use it with a grain of salt.

    KC

    http://www.scanner-drivers.com/drivers/82/82616.htm

    Kevin Childers, May 26, 2005
  4. whayface

    Elector Guest

    "whayface" <> wrote in message

    > I purchased a PB system back just before they stopped selling them in US
    > and it came with
    > a ReadyScan 636i USB scanner.
    >
    > I upgraded OS to XP Home and now the drivers for the ReadyScan 636i USB
    > scanner are noe XP
    > compatable and all the ones I find on web are not either. Can someone
    > help me out here as
    > to where I might find new driver?
    >
    > I went to packardbell site and nec site but ------------------
    >
    > The drivers I need are:
    >
    > NTKERN.VXD
    > PMXSCAN.SYS
    > PMXUSB.CPL
    > PMXUSB.INF
    > VMM32.VXD
    >
    > Thanks much

    > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

    Another point to have pondered before you upgraded was to use the upgrade
    utility for compatibility with your existing devices either from the Windows
    XP Home Page at Microsoft or from the same utility supplied on the CD
    install for Windows XP Home.

    Another solution may be to go to http://www.drivers.com and look for the
    driver there.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector

    Elector, May 26, 2005
  5. whayface

    whayface Guest

    >> I purchased a PB system back just before they stopped selling them in US
    >> and it came with
    >> a ReadyScan 636i USB scanner.
    >>
    >> I upgraded OS to XP Home and now the drivers for the ReadyScan 636i USB
    >> scanner are noe XP
    >> compatable and all the ones I find on web are not either. Can someone
    >> help me out here as
    >> to where I might find new driver?
    >>
    >> I went to packardbell site and nec site but ------------------
    >>
    >> The drivers I need are:
    >>
    >> NTKERN.VXD
    >> PMXSCAN.SYS
    >> PMXUSB.CPL
    >> PMXUSB.INF
    >> VMM32.VXD
    >>

    >Another point to have pondered before you upgraded was to use the upgrade
    >utility for compatibility with your existing devices either from the Windows
    >XP Home Page at Microsoft or from the same utility supplied on the CD
    >install for Windows XP Home.
    >
    >Another solution may be to go to http://www.drivers.com and look for the
    >driver there.
    >
    >I hope I helped?
    >
    >Elector

    OK I found the driver for ReadyScan 636i USB scanner at http://www.drivers.com in a file
    named readyscan636i-XP.exe and the files in it are XP compatable and when I start XP it
    sees the scanner but sees it as a "FlatBed" instead of "ReadyScan 636i USB scanner" and
    the scanner light up but when I try to start taskbridge which is the scanner prog it does
    nothing. No error message, no prog starts, etc.

    Might just go get a new scanner seeing as everything else seems to work fine so far other
    then XP eating up my hard drive space!

    Thanks for help.

    whayface, May 26, 2005
  6. whayface

    Elector Guest

    "whayface" <> wrote in message

    >>> I purchased a PB system back just before they stopped selling them in US
    >>> and it came with
    >>> a ReadyScan 636i USB scanner.
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded OS to XP Home and now the drivers for the ReadyScan 636i USB
    >>> scanner are noe XP
    >>> compatable and all the ones I find on web are not either. Can someone
    >>> help me out here as
    >>> to where I might find new driver?
    >>>
    >>> I went to packardbell site and nec site but ------------------
    >>>
    >>> The drivers I need are:
    >>>
    >>> NTKERN.VXD
    >>> PMXSCAN.SYS
    >>> PMXUSB.CPL
    >>> PMXUSB.INF
    >>> VMM32.VXD
    >>>

    >>Another point to have pondered before you upgraded was to use the upgrade
    >>utility for compatibility with your existing devices either from the
    >>Windows
    >>XP Home Page at Microsoft or from the same utility supplied on the CD
    >>install for Windows XP Home.
    >>
    >>Another solution may be to go to http://www.drivers.com and look for the
    >>driver there.
    >>
    >>I hope I helped?
    >>
    >>Elector

    > OK I found the driver for ReadyScan 636i USB scanner at
    > http://www.drivers.com in a file
    > named readyscan636i-XP.exe and the files in it are XP compatable and when
    > I start XP it
    > sees the scanner but sees it as a "FlatBed" instead of "ReadyScan 636i USB
    > scanner" and
    > the scanner light up but when I try to start taskbridge which is the
    > scanner prog it does
    > nothing. No error message, no prog starts, etc.
    >
    > Might just go get a new scanner seeing as everything else seems to work
    > fine so far other
    > then XP eating up my hard drive space!
    >
    > Thanks for help.

    > E-mail address altered to foil spam.
    > Remove spam and junk to reply via e-mail.

    You may want as Ben suggested get another scanner program. I use PaperPort
    10 which is fully Windows XP compatible. You could also try going to the
    scanner software site and downloading the updated version of the software or
    even the original program and reinstall it as Administrator.

    I hope I helped?

    Elector

    Elector, May 27, 2005
  7. whayface

    Elector Guest

    "whayface" <> wrote in message

    >>> I purchased a PB system back just before they stopped selling them in US
    >>> and it came with
    >>> a ReadyScan 636i USB scanner.
    >>>
    >>> I upgraded OS to XP Home and now the drivers for the ReadyScan 636i USB
    >>> scanner are noe XP
    >>> compatable and all the ones I find on web are not either. Can someone
    >>> help me out here as
    >>> to where I might find new driver?
    >>>
    >>> I went to packardbell site and nec site but ------------------
    >>>
    >>> The drivers I need are:
    >>>
    >>> NTKERN.VXD
    >>> PMXSCAN.SYS
    >>> PMXUSB.CPL
    >>> PMXUSB.INF

    Elector, May 27, 2005
  8. whayface

    metronid Guest

    I have the following
    NTKERN.VXD

    If you want them via Email let me know

    metronid, May 27, 2005
  9. whayface

    whayface Guest

    Are they Win XP compatable ?? I have them but the ones I have are not XP friendly.

    whayface, May 28, 2005
  10. whayface

    metronid Guest

    Yours are probably the same as mine
    I just have them in my data base
    I have never used them
    I just archive files

    These files should not be the concern
    It is most likely the twain driver

    I believe your scanner is a primax
    When I look at the original software it has a primax signature

    I would look for this software and pray
    Windows XP driver for Primax Colorado D600 scanner ...

    I only see windows NT drivers when searching
    and windows 2000 drivers

    You could of course hope and pray and use
    the windows 2000 drivers

    I myself would buy a cheap scanner
    as your is not kind of old

    metronid, May 28, 2005
  11. whayface

    whayface Guest

    On Sat, 28 May 2005 07:15:23 -0400, "metronid" <> wrote:

    >Yours are probably the same as mine
    >I just have them in my data base
    >I have never used them
    >I just archive files
    >
    >These files should not be the concern
    >It is most likely the twain driver
    >
    >I believe your scanner is a primax
    >When I look at the original software it has a primax signature
    >
    >I would look for this software and pray
    >Windows XP driver for Primax Colorado D600 scanner ...
    >
    >I only see windows NT drivers when searching
    >and windows 2000 drivers
    >
    >You could of course hope and pray and use
    >the windows 2000 drivers
    >

    >I myself would buy a cheap scanner
    >as your is not kind of old

    I found drivers for it at driversguide.com that would work for "Flatbed" scanner but the
    Taskbridge program will not run so I have been thinking about new scanner or new system
    seeing as how this system had 6 GB hard drive which XP pretty much ate up!!

    Either that or restore system to the way I got it then put all the progs back the way I
    had them which is a lot. I would put new a HD in and do a fresh XP install if I really
    was REAL computer savy. :-(

    Thanks all

    whayface, May 28, 2005
  12. whayface

    Ben Myers Guest

    One general comment here. Scanners are perhaps the last hardware device to
    undergo the standardization seen in other areas of computer hardware, i.e. mobo
    chipsets, graphics chipsets, audio chipsets, hard drives, CD and DVD devices,
    USB printers, and on and on.

    Windows XP does have some sort of built in scanner software which I have never
    ever used. HP recommends using the XP built-ins for some of its scanners, which
    have always been supported horribly by HP.

    If you can't identify the original manufacturer of the PB scanner and download
    XP-compatible drivers and scanning software for it AND if the XP built-in
    scanning software does not work with the scanner, it's time to replace it. Very
    servicable USB scanners are less that $US 100 in mass market outlets. How long
    they last is always a good question, given the tendency of the computer industry
    to make low quality throwaways these days... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, May 28, 2005