Windows XP install failure

Discussion in 'IBM' started by Bill Stock, Mar 27, 2005.

  1. Bill Stock

    Bill Stock Guest

    I was trying to install a new printer for a family member, but I could not
    get the driver to install. Nothing happened when I ran the setup. I copied
    the CD contents to the HD, but this did not help. I checked the security on
    the system partition and I noticed that the permissions on the subfolders
    were not set properly. When I tried to reset the permissions, they either
    did not stick or were set to something other than what I chose. I finally
    got myself locked out completely. All I was getting when I logged on was a
    vbCritical message box with no text and then I got kicked out of windows.

    I tried to recover the backup configuration files with the Recovery Console,
    but I kept getting Access Denied on the Repair directory. So I decided to
    reinstall XP, but the install kept failing on Bootvid.dll. I recovered the
    data I wanted from the Recovery Console on another PC and proceeded to
    reinstall XP on the original PC. This time I did a complete format of the HD
    and did a fresh install. Now it's failing on another DLL much further into
    the install process. Three separate installs fail on the same dll. I've
    replaced the CD-Rom on the PC and tried another XP disk, but I get the same
    results. The PC passed a memory test and a SMART scan. I also did a surface
    scan of the HD when I had it installed in the other PC.

    The original problem looks like a Worm, but this PC was running NOD32 and a
    complete format should have killed any worms. I'm currently running a
    complete surface scan on the drive in the original PC and it seems to be
    proceeding OK. Any thoughts on what to check next? I noticed that the fan
    RPM on the power supply was dropping out when I was in the BIOS, but I
    suspect it's just a smart fan.

    BTW, no hardware changes were made on this PC since the original XP install.

    Bill Stock, Mar 27, 2005