    product) from the Dell website.

    --
    Will
    Will, Apr 7, 2006

  2. Will

    Mike Guest

    If you create an account and go to support, you can put in the service tag
    and get the specs.

    Alternately, just start with the driver you think is right and install the
    other one if it doesn't work. Running the wrong driver install program
    shouldn't hurt anything, the program should just exit with a "can't locate
    XXX soundcard" error.

    -Mike

    Mike, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Will

    Keka Guest

    Check in system properties -> hardware -> device manager and check the
    kind of sound card u have.
    it might something from audigy or it might be integrated...
    Next do some googling online or search in support.dell.com.
    these ought to do it!!
    Keka, Apr 7, 2006
  4. typically the first thing you need to install after installing windows is
    the intel chipset software. did you do this?
    but that aside, windows server 2003 is not supported on the dimension xps
    400.
    the dimension xps 400 came with one of three audio cards: creative audigy
    invitation, creative soundblaster xfi, or the simgatel stac 92xx.
    you can find the windows xp drivers available from dell here:
    http://tinyurl.com/hdurl
    you can find the windows server 2003 drivers (not including audio or much of
    anything since it isn't supported) here:
    http://tinyurl.com/ewmua

    Christopher Muto, Apr 7, 2006
  5. Will

    Will Guest

    For the three soundcards you mentioned, would XPS 400 have all three
    integrated onto the motherboard itself?

    Windows 2003 uses Windows XP drivers more often than not. The "not" case
    is one where the driver writer wasn't thinking clearly and deliberately
    sabotages install of a driver that would have worked fine simply because
    they make a decision to not support W2K3.

    --
    Will

    Will, Apr 8, 2006
  6. Will

    Pen Guest

    "Will" <> wrote in message
    > For the three soundcards you mentioned, would XPS 400 have all three
    > integrated onto the motherboard itself?
    >
    > Windows 2003 uses Windows XP drivers more often than not. The "not" case
    > is one where the driver writer wasn't thinking clearly and deliberately
    > sabotages install of a driver that would have worked fine simply because
    > they make a decision to not support W2K3.
    >
    > --
    > Will
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    >> typically the first thing you need to install after installing windows is
    >> the intel chipset software. did you do this?
    >> but that aside, windows server 2003 is not supported on the dimension xps
    >> 400.
    >> the dimension xps 400 came with one of three audio cards: creative audigy
    >> invitation, creative soundblaster xfi, or the simgatel stac 92xx.
    >> you can find the windows xp drivers available from dell here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/hdurl
    >> you can find the windows server 2003 drivers (not including audio or much

    > of
    >> anything since it isn't supported) here:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/ewmua
    >>

    >> "Will" <> wrote in message
    >> > What sound card is Dell using in the XPS400 motherboard? After a
    >> > Windows
    >> > 2003 install (uses same device drivers as Windows XP), the audio is not
    >> > installed, and I'm not sure which of the Dell Windows XP sound drivers

    > for
    >> > XPS 400 to install (they have an Audigy driver as well some obscure OEM
    >> > product) from the Dell website.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Will

    The xps400 has the SigmaTel on the motherboard.
    Pen, Apr 8, 2006
  7. Will

    Will Guest

    That's the information I needed, thank you!

    I installed the Windows XP driver for the SigmaTel on Windows 2003, and the
    XPS400 now has sound.

    --
    Will

    Will, Apr 8, 2006