Windows XP Update is now Broken!

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ben Myers, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    ALERT! Three times in the last two days (through yesterday), I have
    installed Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 (Dell Version) on three
    different Dell Laptops, with XP Pro stickers, of course. When I click
    on Windows Update, I get directed to a page that tells me that Windows
    Update may not work unless I install Service Pack 3 ! Which is, of
    course, already installed. In other words, Microsoft somehow broke its
    Update site for XP, either unwittingly or maybe wittingly. The
    KnowledgeBase citation displayed instead of an update page is 2497281.

    I have downloaded and installed the SP3 downloaded file from the
    Microsoft web site. No luck, i.e. no difference.

    I have downloaded and installed Windows Genuine (Dis-)Advantage and
    installed it, too. No luck.

    I have downloaded and installed IE8 and installed it. No luck.

    I also ran the Windows Activation (non-)Wizard, and it said my XP Pro
    was activated.

    This is a major pain and it makes no sense at all. Of course, no
    response yet from Micro$oft, as one might expect. This has to get
    fixed. Maybe they got hacked by Anonymous??? ... Ben Myers

    1. Advertising

  2. ghostrider

    ghostrider Guest

    Hi Ben,

    I noticed this problem even on my non-Dell computers
    today. I elected to use the alternative of choosing
    Windows Update via Internet Explorers/Tools option.

    GR

    On 8/6/2011 4:50 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
    > ALERT! Three times in the last two days (through yesterday), I have
    > installed Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 (Dell Version) on three
    > different Dell Laptops, with XP Pro stickers, of course. When I click
    > on Windows Update, I get directed to a page that tells me that Windows
    > Update may not work unless I install Service Pack 3 ! Which is, of
    > course, already installed. In other words, Microsoft somehow broke its
    > Update site for XP, either unwittingly or maybe wittingly. The
    > KnowledgeBase citation displayed instead of an update page is 2497281.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed the SP3 downloaded file from the
    > Microsoft web site. No luck, i.e. no difference.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed Windows Genuine (Dis-)Advantage and
    > installed it, too. No luck.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed IE8 and installed it. No luck.
    >
    > I also ran the Windows Activation (non-)Wizard, and it said my XP Pro
    > was activated.
    >
    > This is a major pain and it makes no sense at all. Of course, no
    > response yet from Micro$oft, as one might expect. This has to get
    > fixed. Maybe they got hacked by Anonymous??? ... Ben Myers

    1. Advertising

  3. Justin

    Justin Guest

    On 8/6/2011 7:50 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

    > I have downloaded and installed the SP3 downloaded file from the
    > Microsoft web site. No luck, i.e. no difference.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed Windows Genuine (Dis-)Advantage and
    > installed it, too. No luck.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed IE8 and installed it. No luck.

    Strange.
    It will probably be back in in a day or two. I've seen this happen before.
    Or you could get a Mac, I have yet to encounter a time when Apple's
    software update took a dump.

  4. I have started running into this lately. The first time it happened, I think
    I just rebooted the system and it worked after that.
    Last week I ran into it again, and finally resorted to pulling a drive from
    an identical PC I had that had already been updated and installed it.

    Today ran into it again, and tried all sorts of things, including installing
    IE8 by itself, installing SP3 even though the install was done using a SP3
    cd, etc, etc.
    I finally downloaded the latest version of Microsoft Update, and that did
    the trick.

    Note: all these installs were clean installs on Optiplex 755's I bought from
    the Dell auction site. They all had a 3.0Ghz Core 2 processor, 3gig of ram,
    and a 80gig HD.

    "Ben Myers" wrote in message

[...]

  5. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Aug 16, 12:03 am, "TimDrouillard" <>
    wrote:
    > I have started running into this lately. The first time it happened, I think
    > I just rebooted the system and it worked after that.
    > Last week I ran into it again, and finally resorted to pulling a drive from
    > an identical PC I had that had already been updated and installed it.
    >
    > Today ran into it again, and tried all sorts of things, including installing
    > IE8 by itself, installing SP3 even though the install was done using a SP3
    > cd, etc, etc.
    > I finally downloaded the latest version of Microsoft Update, and that did
    > the trick.
    >
    > Note: all these installs were clean installs on Optiplex 755's I bought from
    > the Dell auction site. They all had a 3.0Ghz Core 2 processor, 3gig of ram,
    > and a 80gig HD.
    >
    > "Ben Myers"  wrote in message

    > ALERT! Three times in the last two days (through yesterday), I have
    > installed Windows XP Pro with Service Pack 3 (Dell Version) on three
    > different Dell Laptops, with XP Pro stickers, of course. When I click
    > on Windows Update, I get directed to a page that tells me that Windows
    > Update may not work unless I install Service Pack 3 ! Which is, of
    > course, already installed. In other words, Microsoft somehow broke its
    > Update site for XP, either unwittingly or maybe wittingly. The
    > KnowledgeBase citation displayed instead of an update page is 2497281.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed the SP3 downloaded file from the
    > Microsoft web site. No luck, i.e. no difference.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed Windows Genuine (Dis-)Advantage and
    > installed it, too. No luck.
    >
    > I have downloaded and installed IE8 and installed it. No luck.
    >
    > I also ran the Windows Activation (non-)Wizard, and it said my XP Pro
    > was activated.
    >
    > This is a major pain and it makes no sense at all. Of course, no
    > response yet from Micro$oft, as one might expect. This has to get
    > fixed.  Maybe they got hacked by Anonymous???  ... Ben Myers

    Ran into Ignorance(Knowledge)Base citation 2497281 again today when
    installing XP Pro with SP3 from scratch on a clean hard drive.
    However, the page says that it was last updated on August 11, 5 days
    after I bitched to Microsoft. The updated 2497281 now gives a
    procedure to follow to get out of the mess Microsoft created, as
    follows:

    Important: If you are seeing this KB article and you already installed
    Service Pack 3 for Windows XP , please follow these steps:

    Step 1: Close all programs running on your computer:

    Step 2: Make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled, to do this,
    follow these steps:

    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and click OK
    Click the Automatic Updates tab
    Click Automatic (Recommended) and then click OK

    Step 3: Ensure a self-update happens right away:

    Click Start, click Run, and type cmd
    Type wuauclt /detectnow, and click OK

    This does work, but it is 1000% more tedious than before. If
    Microsoft would tax its devious mind a little bit, these steps could
    be auotmated by one of their Fixit procedures. I pasted "wuauclt /
    detectnow" into the CMD window from the web page.

    I still think that this is intentional on Microsoft's part to make it
    more difficult to install XP AND(!) apply all the updates needed to
    close as many of the security
    holes as possible... Ben Myers

    wrote:
> [...]

    Service Pack 3 for Windows XP , please follow these steps:

    Step 1: Close all programs running on your computer:

    Step 2: Make sure that Automatic Updates is enabled, to do this,
    follow these steps:

    Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and click OK
    Click the Automatic Updates tab
    Click Automatic (Recommended) and then click OK

    Step 3: Ensure a self-update happens right away:

    Click Start, click Run, and type cmd
    Type wuauclt /detectnow, and click OK

    This does work, but it is 1000% more tedious than before. If
    Microsoft would tax its devious mind a little bit, these steps could
    be auotmated by one of their Fixit procedures. I pasted "wuauclt /
    detectnow" into the CMD window from the web page.

    I still think that this is intentional on Microsoft's part to make it
    more difficult to install XP AND(!) apply all the updates needed to

    I tried those steps when I ran into my problems, but it didn't work for me.
    Simply downloading and installing the latest ver of Microsoft Update, did.

  7. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Aug 23, 4:11 pm, "TimDrouillard" <> wrote:
> [...]

    >     Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and click OK
    >     Click the Automatic Updates tab
    >     Click Automatic (Recommended) and then click OK
    >
    > Step 3: Ensure a self-update happens right away:
    >
    >     Click Start, click Run, and type cmd
    >     Type wuauclt /detectnow, and click OK
    >
    > This does work, but it is 1000% more tedious than before.  If
    > Microsoft would tax its devious mind a little bit, these steps could
    > be auotmated by one of their Fixit procedures.  I pasted "wuauclt /
    > detectnow" into the CMD window from the web page.
    >
    > I still think that this is intentional on Microsoft's part to make it
    > more difficult to install XP AND(!) apply all the updates needed to
    > close as many of the security
    > holes as possible... Ben Myers
    >
    > I tried those steps when I ran into my problems, but it didn't work for me.
    > Simply downloading and installing the latest ver of Microsoft Update, did..

    I have since downloaded the latest Microsoft Update software and put
    it on a flash stick... Ben

  8. "Ben Myers" wrote in message

> [...]

    > Step 3: Ensure a self-update happens right away:
    >
    > Click Start, click Run, and type cmd
    > Type wuauclt /detectnow, and click OK
    >
    > This does work, but it is 1000% more tedious than before. If
    > Microsoft would tax its devious mind a little bit, these steps could
    > be auotmated by one of their Fixit procedures. I pasted "wuauclt /
    > detectnow" into the CMD window from the web page.
    >
    > I still think that this is intentional on Microsoft's part to make it
    > more difficult to install XP AND(!) apply all the updates needed to
    > close as many of the security
    > holes as possible... Ben Myers
    >
    > I tried those steps when I ran into my problems, but it didn't work for
    > me.
    > Simply downloading and installing the latest ver of Microsoft Update, did.

    I have since downloaded the latest Microsoft Update software and put

    I also put all the major drivers for every model of Dell desktop or laptop
    we have at work as well as the onse I have at home along with all the usual
    goodies and utilities.
    Boy does that sucker come in handy.
    The only CD I have to carry now is the Xp Pro SP3 Dell CD.

    Now when I have to reload or install XP fresh on a new system, all I do is
    install XP, pull out the flash stick, copy the drivers and go to town.
    The only big pain is having to download all the MS updates. Oh well, I get
    paid by the hour.

  9. RnR

    RnR Guest

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 15:07:47 -0400, "TimDrouillard"
    <> wrote:

> [...]

    >> close as many of the security
    >> holes as possible... Ben Myers
    >>
    >> I tried those steps when I ran into my problems, but it didn't work for
    >> me.
    >> Simply downloading and installing the latest ver of Microsoft Update, did.

    >I have since downloaded the latest Microsoft Update software and put
    >it on a flash stick... Ben
    >
    >I also put all the major drivers for every model of Dell desktop or laptop
    >we have at work as well as the onse I have at home along with all the usual
    >goodies and utilities.
    >Boy does that sucker come in handy.
    >The only CD I have to carry now is the Xp Pro SP3 Dell CD.
    >
    >Now when I have to reload or install XP fresh on a new system, all I do is
    >install XP, pull out the flash stick, copy the drivers and go to town.
    >The only big pain is having to download all the MS updates. Oh well, I get

    In that case MS is your friend <g>.

  10. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Aug 24, 3:07 pm, "TimDrouillard" <> wrote:
> [...]

    > > close as many of the security
    > > holes as possible... Ben Myers

    > > I tried those steps when I ran into my problems, but it didn't work for
    > > me.
    > > Simply downloading and installing the latest ver of Microsoft Update, did.

    > I have since downloaded the latest Microsoft Update software and put
    > it on a flash stick... Ben
    >
    > I also put all the major drivers for every model of Dell desktop or laptop
    > we have at work as well as the onse I have at home along with all the usual
    > goodies and utilities.
    > Boy does that sucker come in handy.
    > The only CD I have to carry now is the Xp Pro SP3 Dell CD.
    >
    > Now when I have to reload or install XP fresh on a new system, all I do is
    > install XP, pull out the flash stick, copy the drivers and go to town.
    > The only big pain is having to download all the MS updates. Oh well, I get

    Tim,

    That's exactly what I do for all the computers that show up here. My
    main computer (this one) has a folder organized by make/model with
    folders full of drivers for each model, desktop or laptop. When I
    have to reload Windows on a particular model, I copy its drivers to a
    flash stick. With 16GB flash sticks selling on-line for $20 or less
    these days, flash sticks come in handy for all sorts of bizarre acts.
    Rather than relying on the nonsense file names assigned by Dell and
    other manufacturers, I change the names so they make sense to real
    people, so maybe a Dell Intel chipset driver has a name like
    IntelChipset_R123456.exe. Then I actually know what I am doing, and I
    install drivers in the right order, chipset drivers always first.
    And, BTW, except for the reboot required after installing the chipset
    drivers, the reboots requested by the other drivers (e.g. video,
    audio) can be ignored until ALL the hardware chipset drivers are
    installed. This saves the time wasted by all these stupid and
    unnecessary reboots.

    Why isn't there an XP SP4, rolling up all the updates, patches, band-
    aids and duct tape needed to make XP more secure, including IE8? I
    don't get paid by the hour to do all the Windows updates, so I start
    them running, go away for a while to do something productive, and come
    back when they are done... Ben Myers

  11. Daddy

    Daddy Guest

    Ben Myers wrote:
> [...]

    > IntelChipset_R123456.exe. Then I actually know what I am doing, and I
    > install drivers in the right order, chipset drivers always first.
    > And, BTW, except for the reboot required after installing the chipset
    > drivers, the reboots requested by the other drivers (e.g. video,
    > audio) can be ignored until ALL the hardware chipset drivers are
    > installed. This saves the time wasted by all these stupid and
    > unnecessary reboots.
    >
    > Why isn't there an XP SP4, rolling up all the updates, patches, band-
    > aids and duct tape needed to make XP more secure, including IE8? I
    > don't get paid by the hour to do all the Windows updates, so I start
    > them running, go away for a while to do something productive, and come
    > back when they are done... Ben Myers

    "With 16GB flash sticks selling on-line for $20 or less
    these days, flash sticks come in handy for all sorts of bizarre acts."

    Truth or Dare:

    What is the most bizarre act for which you have used a USB flash drive?

    Daddy

  12. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Aug 25, 2:57 pm, Daddy <> wrote:
    > Ben Myers wrote:
    > > On Aug 24, 3:07 pm, "TimDrouillard" <> wrote:
    > >> "Ben Myers"  wrote in message

    > >> I have since downloaded the latest Microsoft Update software and put
    > >> it on a flash stick... Ben

    > >> I also put all the major drivers for every model of Dell desktop or laptop
    > >> we have at work as well as the onse I have at home along with all the usual
    > >> goodies and utilities.
    > >> Boy does that sucker come in handy.
    > >> The only CD I have to carry now is the Xp Pro SP3 Dell CD.

    > >> Now when I have to reload or install XP fresh on a new system, all I do is
    > >> install XP, pull out the flash stick, copy the drivers and go to town.
    > >> The only big pain is having to download all the MS updates. Oh well, Iget
    > >> paid by the hour.

    > > Tim,

    > > That's exactly what I do for all the computers that show up here.  My
    > > main computer (this one) has a folder organized by make/model with
    > > folders full of drivers for each model, desktop or laptop.  When I
    > > have to reload Windows on a particular model, I copy its drivers to a
    > > flash stick.  With 16GB flash sticks selling on-line for $20 or less
    > > these days, flash sticks come in handy for all sorts of bizarre acts.
    > > Rather than relying on the nonsense file names assigned by Dell and
    > > other manufacturers, I change the names so they make sense to real
    > > people, so maybe a Dell Intel chipset driver has a name like
    > > IntelChipset_R123456.exe.  Then I actually know what I am doing, and I
    > > install drivers in the right order, chipset drivers always first.
    > > And, BTW, except for the reboot required after installing the chipset
    > > drivers, the reboots requested by the other drivers (e.g. video,
    > > audio) can be ignored until ALL the hardware chipset drivers are
    > > installed.  This saves the time wasted by all these stupid and
    > > unnecessary reboots.

    > > Why isn't there an XP SP4, rolling up all the updates, patches, band-
    > > aids and duct tape needed to make XP more secure, including IE8?  I
    > > don't get paid by the hour to do all the Windows updates, so I start
    > > them running, go away for a while to do something productive, and come
    > > back when they are done... Ben Myers

    > "With 16GB flash sticks selling on-line for $20 or less
    > these days, flash sticks come in handy for all sorts of bizarre acts."
    >
    > Truth or Dare:
    >
    > What is the most bizarre act for which you have used a USB flash drive?
    >
    > Daddy

    I leave it to your own fertile imagination. ;>) ... Ben

  13. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    complaint.

    Maybe it's all fixed.
    ---

  14. "Ron Hardin" wrote:
    >I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > complaint.
    >
    > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > ---

    If you already had XP SP3 from the Dell CD,
    why did you upgrade to SP3?

    *TimDaniels*

  15. Bob_Villa

    Bob_Villa Guest

    On Sep 3, 10:33 am, "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:
    > "Ron Hardin" wrote:
    > >I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > > complaint.

    > > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > > ---

    >     If you already had XP SP3 from the Dell CD,
    > why did you upgrade to SP3?
    >
    > *TimDaniels*

    I'm sure he just means Windows update...not SP3 install!

  16. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 3, 1:50 pm, Bob_Villa <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 10:33 am, "Timothy Daniels" <> wrote:
    >
    > > "Ron Hardin" wrote:
    > > >I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > > > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > > > complaint.

    > > > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > > > ---

    > >     If you already had XP SP3 from the Dell CD,
    > > why did you upgrade to SP3?

    > > *TimDaniels*

    > I'm sure he just means Windows update...not SP3 install!

    I have not had the distinct pleasure of installing XP SP3 lately, so
    maybe Micro$oft fixed their dad-gummed update. (This has been
    rumored.) When it was broken, it kept whining to install SP3 even
    though SP3 was already installed... Ben

  17. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 4, 12:00 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 1:50 pm, Bob_Villa <> wrote:

    > > >     If you already had XP SP3 from the Dell CD,
    > > > why did you upgrade to SP3?

    > > > *TimDaniels*

    > > I'm sure he just means Windows update...not SP3 install!

    > I have not had the distinct pleasure of installing XP SP3 lately, so
    > maybe Micro$oft fixed their dad-gummed update.  (This has been
    > rumored.)  When it was broken, it kept whining to install SP3 even
    > though SP3 was already installed... Ben

    Just ran an install of XP Pro with SP3, and the Windows update site no
    longer bitches that I have to install SP3. Right now the system is
    installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, with
    more to follow, of course. I guess they did fix it... Ben Myers

  18. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 3, 9:13 am, Ron Hardin <> wrote:
    > I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > complaint.
    >
    > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > ---
    >

    > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    Just ran an install of XP Pro with SP3, and the Windows update site no
    longer bitches that I have to install SP3. Right now the system is
    installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, with
    more to follow, of course. I guess they did fix it... Ben Myers

  19. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 20, 1:44 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On Sep 3, 9:13 am, Ron Hardin <> wrote:
    >
    > > I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > > complaint.

    > > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > > ---
    > >

    > > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    > Just ran an install of XP Pro with SP3, and the Windows update site no
    > longer bitches that I have to install SP3.  Right now the system is
    > installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, with
    > more to follow, of course.  I guess they did fix it... Ben Myers

    I mis-stated. 109 updates, many of which are "optional", but you
    really do need the "optional" latest Root Certificates and DOT-NET
    updates. too. And now another 25 updates are finding their way into
    the system. O, frabjous day... Ben Myers

  20. Ben Myers

    Ben Myers Guest

    On Sep 20, 2:34 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    > On Sep 20, 1:44 pm, Ben Myers <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Sep 3, 9:13 am, Ron Hardin <> wrote:

    > > > I just installed XP SP3 on a clean larger HD from
    > > > the Dell SP3 CD and it updated normally without
    > > > complaint.

    > > > Maybe it's all fixed.
    > > > ---
    > > >

    > > > On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

    > > Just ran an install of XP Pro with SP3, and the Windows update site no
    > > longer bitches that I have to install SP3.  Right now the system is
    > > installing just the first 102 security updates from Microsoft, with
    > > more to follow, of course.  I guess they did fix it... Ben Myers

    > I mis-stated.  109 updates, many of which are "optional", but you
    > really do need the "optional" latest Root Certificates and DOT-NET
    > updates. too.  And now another 25 updates are finding their way into
    > the system.  O, frabjous day... Ben Myers

    Yeah, it's broken again. I set up an old Latitude C840 for a migrant
    apple picker to take back to the Caribbean. Once again, WGA claimed
    that the Windows XP Pro SP3 installed from the Dell reinstall CD was
    not genuine. I followed the steps I outlined earlier in this thread
    and ended up with a legit and up-to-date XP.

    At this point, I've got to say that this garbage by Micrsoft with
    Windows XP is intentional. They are not totally incompetent that they
    would consistently screw up Windows Update to force people to jump
    through hoops to get a fully working version of Windows. Maybe it's
    time to contact the Federal Trade Commission, or, better yet the
    European Union competition folk? ... Ben Myers