Wireless Networking advice needed

Discussion in 'IBM Thinkpad' started by Martyn Tindall, Apr 9, 2009.

  1. I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    to use a wireless router. I've been trying to see how to do this at
    the computer end, but have got nowhere. Can anyone tell me where I'm
    going wrong?

    I started by going to:

    Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking

    "To connect to an available wireless network
    Open Network Connections.
    Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    Tasks, click View available wireless networks."

    ....but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.

    So I tried:

    ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
    Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...

    "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
    wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
    with a single click."

    This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
    on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
    Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).

    Alternatively, I'm offered:

    "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:

    Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.

    Click Power On Wireless Radio."

    There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
    doesn't offer that option.

    Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:

    "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
    standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."

    This window says:

    "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
    toolbar"

    "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. It does on the Tools menu, but
    is greyed out.

    Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.

    I would be grateful for any pointers...

    Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943

    Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)

    Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth

    TIA,

    --
    Martyn Tindall
    Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 9, 2009

  2. Martyn Tindall

    Guest

    On Apr 9, 4:14 pm, (Martyn
    Tindall) wrote:
    > I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    > to use a wireless router.  I've been trying to see how to do this at
    > the computer end, but have got nowhere.  Can anyone tell me where I'm
    > going wrong?
    >
    > I started by going to:
    >
    > Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
    >
    > "To connect to an available wireless network
    > Open Network Connections.
    > Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    > Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
    >
    > ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
    >
    > So I tried:
    >
    > ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
    > Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
    >
    > "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
    > wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
    > with a single click."
    >
    > This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
    > on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
    > Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
    >
    > Alternatively, I'm offered:
    >
    > "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
    >
    > Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
    >
    > Click Power On Wireless Radio."
    >
    > There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
    > doesn't offer that option.
    >
    > Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
    >
    > "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
    > standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
    >
    > This window says:
    >
    > "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
    > toolbar"
    >
    > "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar.  It does on the Tools menu, but
    > is greyed out.
    >
    > Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
    >
    > I would be grateful for any pointers...
    >
    > Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
    >
    > Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
    >
    > Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > --
    > Martyn Tindall
    > Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    In Services, make sure you have WZC (Wireless Zero Config.) started
    and Automatic.

    , Apr 11, 2009

  3. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    >> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    >> to use a wireless router.  I've been trying to see how to do this at
    >> the computer end, but have got nowhere.  Can anyone tell me where I'm
    >> going wrong?
    >>
    >> I started by going to:
    >>
    >> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
    >>
    >> "To connect to an available wireless network
    >> Open Network Connections.
    >> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    >> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
    >>
    >> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
    >>
    >> So I tried:
    >>
    >> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
    >> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
    >>
    >> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
    >> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
    >> with a single click."
    >>
    >> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
    >> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
    >> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
    >>
    >> Alternatively, I'm offered:
    >>
    >> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
    >>
    >> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
    >>
    >> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
    >>
    >> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
    >> doesn't offer that option.
    >>
    >> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
    >>
    >> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
    >> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
    >>
    >> This window says:
    >>
    >> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
    >> toolbar"
    >>
    >> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar.  It does on the Tools menu, but
    >> is greyed out.
    >>
    >> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> I would be grateful for any pointers...
    >>
    >> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
    >>
    >> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Martyn Tindall
    >> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    Pardon my silly question: Are you sure your computer is close to an
    operating 'wireless' access point when you are attempting to find a
    wireless connection?

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 11, 2009
  4. On Sat, 11 Apr 2009 05:19:21 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

    >On Apr 9, 4:14=A0pm, (Martyn
    >Tindall) wrote:
    >> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    >> to use a wireless router. =A0I've been trying to see how to do this at
    >> the computer end, but have got nowhere. =A0Can anyone tell me where I'm
    >> going wrong?
    >>
    >> I started by going to:
    >>
    >> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
    >>
    >> "To connect to an available wireless network
    >> Open Network Connections.
    >> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    >> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
    >>
    >> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
    >>
    >> So I tried:
    >>
    >> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
    >> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
    >>
    >> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
    >> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
    >> with a single click."
    >>
    >> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
    >> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
    >> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
    >>
    >> Alternatively, I'm offered:
    >>
    >> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
    >>
    >> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
    >>
    >> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
    >>
    >> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
    >> doesn't offer that option.
    >>
    >> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
    >>
    >> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
    >> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections=99."
    >>
    >> This window says:
    >>
    >> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
    >> toolbar"
    >>
    >> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar. =A0It does on the Tools menu, but
    >> is greyed out.
    >>
    >> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
    >>
    >> I would be grateful for any pointers...
    >>
    >> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
    >>
    >> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >>
    >> --
    >> Martyn Tindall
    >> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    >In Services, make sure you have WZC (Wireless Zero Config.) started
    >and Automatic.

    If you mean ThinkVantage Access Connections, in "Services" all I'm
    offered is "iPass Global Connectivity".

    In "Create New Profile", under "Type of network connection", I'm
    offered only wired LAN or broadband, or else dialup. I get the
    feeling this machine isn't set up for wireless at all. I must have a
    proper look at the BIOS - when I got the computer there was no sign of
    the modem: turned out it wasn't enabled in the BIOS, but it took a
    long time to find that out.

    Thanks,
    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 13, 2009
  5. On 11 Apr 2009 16:10:11 GMT, Ed <>
    wrote:

    >>> I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    >>> to use a wireless router.  I've been trying to see how to do this at
    >>> the computer end, but have got nowhere.  Can anyone tell me where I'm
    >>> going wrong?
    >>>
    >>> I started by going to:
    >>>
    >>> Help & Support Center/Wireless (802.11) networking
    >>>
    >>> "To connect to an available wireless network
    >>> Open Network Connections.
    >>> Click the wireless network connection icon, and then, under Network
    >>> Tasks, click View available wireless networks."
    >>>
    >>> ...but couldn't see a wireless network connection icon.
    >>>
    >>> So I tried:
    >>>
    >>> ThinkVantage Access Help/Getting Connected/Wireless Connections/Making
    >>> Wireless LAN connections/Enabling...
    >>>
    >>> "To enable or disable the wireless feature, press Fn+F5. A list of
    >>> wireless features is displayed. You can turn the feature on and off
    >>> with a single click."
    >>>
    >>> This window shows the Hardware wireless radio switch status (which is
    >>> on), but in what I take to be a list underneath it just shows
    >>> Bluetooth (which I take to be something different).
    >>>
    >>> Alternatively, I'm offered:
    >>>
    >>> "To enable the wireless feature, do as follows:
    >>>
    >>> Click the Access Connections wireless icon in the system tray.
    >>>
    >>> Click Power On Wireless Radio."
    >>>
    >>> There is an icon called "ThinkVantage Access Connections", but it
    >>> doesn't offer that option.
    >>>
    >>> Under "Wireless networking setup" I'm told:
    >>>
    >>> "To use the built-in wireless networking card (the IEEE 802.11
    >>> standard) to communicate, start Access Connections™."
    >>>
    >>> This window says:
    >>>
    >>> "Connect to available wireless networks by clicking Find in the
    >>> toolbar"
    >>>
    >>> "Find" doesn't appear in the toolbar.  It does on the Tools menu, but
    >>> is greyed out.
    >>>
    >>> Wireless appears to be enabled in the BIOS.
    >>>
    >>> I would be grateful for any pointers...
    >>>
    >>> Lenovo ThinkPad R61i 8943
    >>>
    >>> Windows XP Pro SP2 (Downgrade from Vista)
    >>>
    >>> Wireless 802.11a/b/g, Bluetooth
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Martyn Tindall
    >>> Leeds, England, United Kingdom

    > Pardon my silly question: Are you sure your computer is close to an
    >operating 'wireless' access point when you are attempting to find a
    >wireless connection?
    >
    > Ed

    Not a silly question at all. But it's not the fact that I can't see a
    connection that's worrying me, rather that I'm not being given the
    chance to look for one!

    Thanks,
    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 13, 2009
  6. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    (Martyn Tindall) wrote in

    > On 11 Apr 2009 16:10:11 GMT, Ed <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > Not a silly question at all. But it's not the fact that I can't see a
    > connection that's worrying me, rather that I'm not being given the
    > chance to look for one!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Martyn

    Sorry 'bout that. I misunderstood that in your original post.

    Good luck

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 13, 2009
  7. In article <>, (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
    >I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    >to use a wireless router.

    Hmmm...nothing I'm reading suggests that your machine has (or thinks it has) a
    wireless network card installed.

    I guess, were I in your situation, I'd:

    a). get rid of Access Connections, at least for the time being. (Some folks
    love it; I personally don't have any use for it and can connect to my own
    wireless network and those at the many coffee shops I visit without its
    intrusion.)

    b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an appropriate device
    under the network devices tree node. If not, we've found the problem. I'm
    not familiar with the R series, but you should be readily able to access the
    compartment with the mini-PCI card and see if it is there and seated correctly
    with the antenna lead/leads connected.

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Apr 13, 2009
  8. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    > b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
    > appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
    > found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
    > be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
    > see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
    > connected.
    >
    > Art

    I'll second the above suggestion. Check your device manager to see if
    you even have a functioning WiFi card. Also, I have an R50 and the
    internal card is located under the keyboard front cover in the front (
    under where a touchpad would be) ...not visible unless you remove the
    entire top cover.

    I tried removing access connections and using Window's WiFi
    management, but found I preferred Access Connection's functionality in
    the area of finding and displaying wireless access connection points so I
    went back to using it.

    Good Luck

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 13, 2009
  9. On Mon, 13 Apr 2009 16:09:20 GMT, (Arthur
    Shapiro) wrote:

    >In article <>, (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
    >>I'm hoping to get a broadband connection in the near future and intend
    >>to use a wireless router.

    >Hmmm...nothing I'm reading suggests that your machine has (or thinks it has) a
    >wireless network card installed.
    >
    >I guess, were I in your situation, I'd:
    >
    >a). get rid of Access Connections, at least for the time being. (Some folks
    >love it; I personally don't have any use for it and can connect to my own
    >wireless network and those at the many coffee shops I visit without its
    >intrusion.)
    >
    >b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an appropriate device
    >under the network devices tree node. If not, we've found the problem. I'm
    >not familiar with the R series, but you should be readily able to access the
    >compartment with the mini-PCI card and see if it is there and seated correctly
    >with the antenna lead/leads connected.
    >
    >Art

    Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
    of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

    What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
    this stuff!

    Regards,
    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 13, 2009
  10. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    >>b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
    >>appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
    >>found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
    >>be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
    >>see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
    >>connected.
    >>
    >>Art

    > Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
    > of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

    Then as Art said above, you have probably found the problem... you
    either do not have a Wireless miniPCI card installed, it is
    disfunctional, or has a poor connection to the motherboard. At this
    point you need to open up your laptop and see if you actually have it
    installed. I'd suggest you go to the http://www-307.ibm.com ibm
    Thinkpad support site and wend your way to the appropriate Service &
    Troubleshooting guide for your model. You should find detailed clear
    instructions on how to access the miniPCI card inside. I had to replace
    my defective WIFI card a year ago and could not have done it without this
    info.

    > What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
    > this stuff!

    That should not help you on this problem. It may be hardware problem,
    as indicated above.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 13, 2009
  11. On 13 Apr 2009 17:01:59 GMT, Ed <>
    wrote:

    >> b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
    >> appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
    >> found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
    >> be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
    >> see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
    >> connected.
    >>
    >> Art
    >>

    > I'll second the above suggestion. Check your device manager to see if
    >you even have a functioning WiFi card. Also, I have an R50 and the
    >internal card is located under the keyboard front cover in the front (
    >under where a touchpad would be) ...not visible unless you remove the
    >entire top cover.
    >
    > I tried removing access connections and using Window's WiFi
    >management, but found I preferred Access Connection's functionality in
    >the area of finding and displaying wireless access connection points so I
    >went back to using it.
    >
    > Good Luck
    >
    > Ed

    Thanks for those thoughts, Ed. I don't feel competent or brave enough
    to start opening up this very new computer. Besides, this is so
    reminiscent of my earlier problem with the "invisible" modem. I
    really thought they must have forgotten to put one in! During a long
    session on the telephone with Lenovo Support, it transpired that the
    modem was not enabled in the BIOS. Once that was done, it was pretty
    plain sailing. So I'm convinced the wireless card is there. My
    feeling is that the downgrade to XP may be at the root of these
    problems.

    Regards,
    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 14, 2009
  12. On 13 Apr 2009 21:31:45 GMT, Ed <>
    wrote:

    >>>b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
    >>>appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
    >>>found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
    >>>be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
    >>>see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
    >>>connected.
    >>>
    >>>Art

    >> Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
    >> of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

    > Then as Art said above, you have probably found the problem... you
    >either do not have a Wireless miniPCI card installed, it is
    >disfunctional, or has a poor connection to the motherboard. At this
    >point you need to open up your laptop and see if you actually have it
    >installed. I'd suggest you go to the http://www-307.ibm.com ibm
    >Thinkpad support site and wend your way to the appropriate Service &
    >Troubleshooting guide for your model. You should find detailed clear
    >instructions on how to access the miniPCI card inside. I had to replace
    >my defective WIFI card a year ago and could not have done it without this
    >info.
    >>
    >> What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
    >> this stuff!

    > That should not help you on this problem. It may be hardware problem,
    >as indicated above.
    >
    > Ed

    Thanks, but see my earlier reply to you...

    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 14, 2009
  13. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    > Thanks for those thoughts, Ed. I don't feel competent or brave enough
    > to start opening up this very new computer. Besides, this is so
    > reminiscent of my earlier problem with the "invisible" modem. I
    > really thought they must have forgotten to put one in! During a long
    > session on the telephone with Lenovo Support, it transpired that the
    > modem was not enabled in the BIOS. Once that was done, it was pretty
    > plain sailing. So I'm convinced the wireless card is there. My
    > feeling is that the downgrade to XP may be at the root of these
    > problems.

    I had not realized you had 'down graded ' to XP , ( wize move, IMHO
    ) , and I did not realize that a wireless device may or may not be
    enabled in BIOS. Certainly would be a good idea to boot into BIOS an d
    at least look for a Wireless setting. ... and again, good luck.
    Advise us here when you determine the problem.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 14, 2009
  14. In article <>, (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
    > I don't feel competent or brave enough
    > to start opening up this very new computer.

    I can appreciate your reluctance, but perhaps can give some encouragement.

    Lenovo / IBM have always published excellent manuals that let an ordinary
    person take their products apart. Again, I don't speak "R" but on the T and X
    series it is fairly routine to get to the mini-PCI card.

    Sometimes things just happen. My X61 came with the trackpoint completely
    non-functional. I used the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) to remove the
    keyboard, and found that the connector for the trackpoint had simply come off
    in shipment. I suppose it could have been manufctured badly, but it seems
    unlikely.

    If the R doesn't just have a one-screw cover on the bottom to reach the
    mini-PCI card, then it almost certainly is just a matter of pulling the
    keyboard (4 or 5 Phillips screws) to access it. We're not talking magic here.
    Sure, we've all encountered things that can only be assembled by the factory,
    and if taken apart have zero chance of being put back together. Your laptop
    ain't one of those things!

    Art

    Arthur Shapiro, Apr 15, 2009
  15. Martyn Tindall

    Ed Guest

    > If the R doesn't just have a one-screw cover on the bottom to reach
    > the mini-PCI card, then it almost certainly is just a matter of
    > pulling the keyboard (4 or 5 Phillips screws) to access it. We're not
    > talking magic here. Sure, we've all encountered things that can only
    > be assembled by the factory, and if taken apart have zero chance of
    > being put back together. Your laptop ain't one of those things!
    >
    > Art

    YEs, I agree fully with Art. While I did have to remove the keyboard
    AND the surrounding top cover to my R50e, the instructions and pictures
    were crystal clear. They also include re-assembly... they don't leave
    you hanging with your laptop partially disassembled! :^) I easily
    replaced my defective WiFi miniPCI card with a new one I purchased cheap
    on EBay.

    While the possibility exists that your problem is in a BIOS setting,
    that should be quick and easy to step through to check.

    But then, you will really need to access your WiFi card to even see
    if it exists, let alone if it is plugged in properly.

    However, you said your R61 is brand new? If so, perhaps you really
    do need to send it to warranty repair if you are hesitant to open it up.
    I'd certainly understand that.

    Ed

    Ed, Apr 15, 2009
  16. On 13 Apr 2009 21:31:45 GMT, Ed <>
    wrote:

    >>>b). go into Device Manager, and see if the machine shows an
    >>>appropriate device under the network devices tree node. If not, we've
    >>>found the problem. I'm not familiar with the R series, but you should
    >>>be readily able to access the compartment with the mini-PCI card and
    >>>see if it is there and seated correctly with the antenna lead/leads
    >>>connected.
    >>>
    >>>Art

    >> Yes, I'd already had a look at the Device Manager: can't see any sign
    >> of wireless there (I'm looking at "Network Adapters").

    > Then as Art said above, you have probably found the problem... you
    >either do not have a Wireless miniPCI card installed, it is
    >disfunctional, or has a poor connection to the motherboard. At this
    >point you need to open up your laptop and see if you actually have it
    >installed. I'd suggest you go to the http://www-307.ibm.com ibm
    >Thinkpad support site and wend your way to the appropriate Service &
    >Troubleshooting guide for your model. You should find detailed clear
    >instructions on how to access the miniPCI card inside. I had to replace
    >my defective WIFI card a year ago and could not have done it without this
    >info.
    >>
    >> What if I look at the BIOS? I'm afraid I'm not awfully clued up on
    >> this stuff!

    > That should not help you on this problem. It may be hardware problem,
    >as indicated above.
    >
    > Ed

    Well, I telephoned Lenovo Support today. The guy pointed me at the
    Config section of the BIOS and I turned on "Wireless LAN radio
    frequency". When I rebooted, the computer "found" something it
    mysteriously calls (in the Device Manager) a Network Controller.
    Since the location for this is given as "PCI slot 1", I am hopeful
    that it is the thing I'm looking for. It lacks a driver, so I'm now
    looking for a suitable one on the Lenovo site. Any suggestions? - do
    I look under Networking or Wireless?

    Martyn

    Martyn Tindall, Apr 15, 2009
  17. Martyn Tindall

    CBFalconer Guest

    Arthur Shapiro wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > Lenovo / IBM have always published excellent manuals that let an
    > ordinary person take their products apart. Again, I don't speak
    > "R" but on the T and X series it is fairly routine to get to the
    > mini-PCI card.

    Well, maybe you can suggest something for my T31. I bought this
    used from IBM. When it got here I mounted Linux (no problem) and
    blew away the original disk contents. Then I looked for the
    restore CD, and couldn't find it. IBM told me they didn't supply
    it, but would send me a replacement disk with the original content,
    that I could use to create a restore disk.

    Sounds easy, huh? So I tried to open the system up to access the
    disk. That chunk of plastic won't come off. I don't want to break
    it, so the machine is still running Ubuntu and I have no capability
    of dual booting. As far as I can see I should only have to remove
    one screw for access.

    I have the hardware manual on another machine. No help.

    Try the download section.

    CBFalconer, Apr 16, 2009
  18. Martyn Tindall

    Mike B. Guest

    CBFalconer wrote:
    > Well, maybe you can suggest something for my T31.

    This has to be a typo. A31? R51?

    Mike B., Apr 16, 2009

    (Martyn Tindall) wrote:
    > > I don't feel competent or brave enough
    > > to start opening up this very new computer.

    > I can appreciate your reluctance, but perhaps can give some encouragement.
    >
    > Lenovo / IBM have always published excellent manuals that let an ordinary
    > person take their products apart. Again, I don't speak "R" but on the T

    and X
    > series it is fairly routine to get to the mini-PCI card.
    >
    > Sometimes things just happen. My X61 came with the trackpoint completely
    > non-functional. I used the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) to remove

    the
    > keyboard, and found that the connector for the trackpoint had simply come

    off
    > in shipment. I suppose it could have been manufctured badly, but it seems
    > unlikely.
    >
    > If the R doesn't just have a one-screw cover on the bottom to reach the
    > mini-PCI card, then it almost certainly is just a matter of pulling the
    > keyboard (4 or 5 Phillips screws) to access it. We're not talking magic

    here.
    > Sure, we've all encountered things that can only be assembled by the

    factory,
    > and if taken apart have zero chance of being put back together. Your

    laptop
    > ain't one of those things!

    On my R51 (2888GRU), the keyboard comes out with three screws. However,
    it's *just* the keyboard (with TrackPoint device). If the mini-PCI card is
    under the touchpad, then the palm rest will have to come off, too. Now, if
    Martyn's R is like mine, each screw has an icon next to it representing what
    it releases. I mean, screws that it's not a bad idea for the end user to
    remove. :) The keyboard screws have a keyboard icon next to them; the
    display screws have a display icon next to them; etc. Still, I'd take a
    look at the Lenovo site, and see if there's a video on removing the keyboard
    and palm rest.

    "She said it was either her or the ham radio. Over."
    (Reply-To address may be anti-spammed.)

    Tom Rutherford, Apr 17, 2009
  20. "Mike B." <> wrote in message news:gs68hu$8si$...
    > CBFalconer wrote:
    > > Well, maybe you can suggest something for my T31.

    > This has to be a typo. A31? R51?

    Where do you see the Alpha? I see a Tango.

    Tom Rutherford, Apr 17, 2009