    representatives at each company and I get told that the connection is
    secure but no one can tell me more than that. If anyone knows how the
    connection is encrypted I would appreciate it.
    Mark G, Jun 22, 2006

  2. Mark G

    Todd Guest

    The router is completely unsecuresd as it comes out of the box.

    You can go to the manufacturers website and download the Users Manual, and
    it will tell you how to secure your wireless access. You can encrypt it,
    change thesystem name and password for logging onto the router, change the
    wireless name that is broadcast, set a password for connecting, set a MAC
    filter, so that it will only allow specific machines to connect, and other
    stuff.

    Todd

    Todd, Jun 22, 2006

  3. Mark G

    Quaoar Guest

    Mark G wrote:
    > I am trying to find out if Verizon and/or Cingular offer any sort of
    > security on their Internet Service. I have spoke to several
    > representatives at each company and I get told that the connection is
    > secure but no one can tell me more than that. If anyone knows how the
    > connection is encrypted I would appreciate it.

    AFIK, all wireless cellular transmissions are digital, compressed, and
    authenticated, if not actually encrypted. OTOH, there is very little,
    if anything, that can be done to intercept a digital cell transmission
    by ordinary human beings. The government can presumably intercept, but
    only if (heh!) there is a reason to target you.

    Digital cellular transmission is not at all like ordinary analog
    802.11-X used for normal broadband wireless. Cellular cannot be
    intercepted by ordinary internet wireless users. It can't happen since
    cellular transmits on different frequencies, it is digitized, and
    compressed - all according to the particular cell system scheme used
    (TDMA, CDMA, GSM, etc.) Your transmission is exactly like your voice
    transmission on your cell phone.

    Try posting to www.howardforums.com and there will likely be a real,
    true-blue expert. I hope.

    Quaoar, Jun 23, 2006