    need to open in image software.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 28, 2012

  2. dorayme

    Jim Janney Guest

    dorayme <> writes:

    > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
    > (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
    > portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
    > need to open in image software.

    People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
    would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
    the programs are all written?"

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, Mar 28, 2012

  3. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Jim Janney <> wrote:

    > dorayme <> writes:
    >
    > > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
    > > (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
    > > portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
    > > need to open in image software.

    > People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
    > would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
    > the programs are all written?"

    People asked this? Almost biblical in conception! (There are people
    who have no idea of the open ended nature of living creatures based on
    genetic structures, the infinite possibilities of life throughout the
    universe. They think someone made a set number of types and that is
    that!)

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 28, 2012
  4. dorayme

    Jim Janney Guest

    dorayme <> writes:

    > In article <>,
    > Jim Janney <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme <> writes:
    >>
    >> > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save
    >> > (for Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to
    >> > portrait (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without
    >> > need to open in image software.

    >> People laugh now when I say this, but there was once a time when people
    >> would ask, on learning that I was a programmer, "what will you do when
    >> the programs are all written?"

    > People asked this? Almost biblical in conception! (There are people
    > who have no idea of the open ended nature of living creatures based on
    > genetic structures, the infinite possibilities of life throughout the
    > universe. They think someone made a set number of types and that is
    > that!)

    Well, we had the word processor, the database, and the spreadsheet, and
    Lotus had already integrated them, so what else was there to do? :)

    --
    Jim Janney
    Jim Janney, Mar 29, 2012
  5. dorayme

    Paul Sture Guest

    On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:08:28 +1100, dorayme wrote:

    > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save (for
    > Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to portrait
    > (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without need to open
    > in image software.

    My camera has a sensor for portrait or landscape and the resulting images
    are interpreted correctly by Finder, I assume by the use of a tag in the
    image.

    Winders Explorer however doesn't look at that information and blindly
    displays the same images with 90° rotation.

    I have seen the same effect with photos taken on an iPhone.

    --
    Paul Sture
    Paul Sture, Mar 29, 2012
  6. dorayme

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>, Paul Sture <>
    wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:08:28 +1100, dorayme wrote:
    >
    > > Be nice if the Finder, in icon view, allowed us to change and save (for
    > > Finder use) the orientation of the *thumbs* from landscape to portrait
    > > (and vice versa though this is more rarely needed) without need to open
    > > in image software.

    > My camera has a sensor for portrait or landscape and the resulting images
    > are interpreted correctly by Finder, I assume by the use of a tag in the
    > image.

    That's nice, and if all cameras did that it would make it good for a
    lot of people.

    But whether an image is from a camera or from a screenshot or a
    creation exported from art programs like Illustrator, the idea I would
    like to see is the simple ability to be able to order the rotation how
    user wants in Finder.

    There would never be a camera that would always get *all* shots
    rightly orientated according to the lights of the user: a camera might
    simply not know which is *aesthetically* up or down or which is
    *aesthetically* left or right, not all pics are straight photo
    realistic pics of the world, not all pics have an objective
    orientation. In fact, some pics look right when diomonded.

    It might be tricky to do that in Finder, I really don't know. But I
    imagine the thumbnail that is shown could be seen as an object with 4
    marked corners, and some programming to rotate that object (and not
    necessarily the actual file when opened) according to user
    instructions.

    I know, it is a lot to ask of Finder! But still, there should be no
    harm in wishing.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 29, 2012