1. This forum section is a read-only archive which contains old newsgroup posts. If you wish to post a query, please do so in one of our main forum sections (here). This way you will get a faster, better response from the members on Motherboard Point.

World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder

Discussion in 'Embedded' started by Don McKenzie, Mar 8, 2012.

  1. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking/

    Raspberry Pi shipping is delayed
    http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158162/raspberry-pi-shipping-delayed

    Raspberry Pi delayed by "manufacturing hiccup"
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/education/373432/raspberry-pi-delayed-by-manufacturing-hiccup

    Cheers Don...

    ============================

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

    DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
     
    Don McKenzie, Mar 8, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On a sunny day (Fri, 09 Mar 2012 05:39:15 +1100) it happened Don McKenzie
    <5V@2.5A> wrote in <>:

    >World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking/
    >
    >Raspberry Pi shipping is delayed
    >http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158162/raspberry-pi-shipping-delayed
    >
    >Raspberry Pi delayed by "manufacturing hiccup"
    >http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/education/373432/raspberry-pi-delayed-by-manufacturing-hiccup
    >
    >Cheers Don...


    Seems all very amateur to me.
    There is an old Dutch saying:
    "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    the ones I use are.
    What if the new connectors are more expensive?
    LOL



    >============================
    >
    >--
    >Don McKenzie
    >
    >Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
    >
    >DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
    >http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    >Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    >Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
    >
     
    Jan Panteltje, Mar 8, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Don McKenzie

    TTman Guest


    >
    > Seems all very amateur to me.
    > There is an old Dutch saying:
    > "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."
    >
    > It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    > just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    > On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    > is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    > the ones I use are.
    > What if the new connectors are more expensive?
    > LOL
    >


    Tough shit then.... perhaps the manufacturer was tring to save a few pennies
    to go in their pockets by substituting a cheaper connector. Someone's head
    will roll :)
     
    TTman, Mar 8, 2012
    #3
  4. Don McKenzie

    notbob Guest

    On 2012-03-08, Jan Panteltje <> wrote:

    > Seems all very amateur to me.
    > There is an old Dutch saying:
    > "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."


    Is that the same Dutch that surrendered to the Nazis even quicker than
    the French (ONE DAY!)? Have you ever heard of a Dutch Mauser variant?
    Do the Dutch even know how to shoot? I didn't think so.

    > It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    > just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    > On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    > is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    > the ones I use are.
    > What if the new connectors are more expensive?


    Not a new practice. I think the term is "vaporware". Yell from
    rooftops, get venture capital, pad pockets, blame vendors, yada
    yada..... Everyone does it, including Apple and others. Wait six
    mos, buy the debugged version fer cheap if still alive, or look to the
    next pretender.

    nb

    --
    Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    vi --the heart of evil!
     
    notbob, Mar 8, 2012
    #4
  5. Don McKenzie

    Nico Coesel Guest

    notbob <> wrote:

    >On 2012-03-08, Jan Panteltje <> wrote:
    >
    >> Seems all very amateur to me.
    >> There is an old Dutch saying:
    >> "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    >
    >Is that the same Dutch that surrendered to the Nazis even quicker than
    >the French (ONE DAY!)?


    Its a small country. There is not much to defend. If you want you can
    get from the German border to the sea in less than 2 days with a
    bicycle. It actually took the nazis longer to conquer NL than they
    expected.

    >Have you ever heard of a Dutch Mauser variant?


    Does this count:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_CIWS

    NL is in fact a very big high-tech weapons manufacturer. Lots of
    development of radar systems.

    --
    Failure does not prove something is impossible, failure simply
    indicates you are not using the right tools...
    nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------
     
    Nico Coesel, Mar 8, 2012
    #5
  6. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    delay comments:
    http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...: Slashdot/slashdotIt (Slashdot: IT)#comments

    http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805

    and some snippets:
    ====================================
    [Chorus]
    Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    This'll be the day that I die
    ------------------------------------
    Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
    I thought that I might buy you,
    but the warehouse was dry,
    those good old boys say just wait one more month,
    but you keep running into delays,
    yeah, you keep running into delays.
    ====================================
    yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:

    Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
    Seller: 89 dollars.
    C: 89 dollars! But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
    S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
    C: They're out of stock.
    S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
    ====================================

    Cheers Don...

    ====================================

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

    DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
     
    Don McKenzie, Mar 8, 2012
    #6
  7. On 8 Mar., 21:01, "TTman" <> wrote:
    > > Seems all very amateur to me.
    > > There is an old Dutch saying:
    > > "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    >
    > > It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    > > just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    > > On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    > > is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    > > the ones I use are.
    > > What if the new connectors are more expensive?
    > > LOL

    >
    > Tough shit then.... perhaps the manufacturer was tring to save a few pennies
    > to go in their pockets by substituting a cheaper connector. Someone's head
    > will roll :)


    Well, its not the end of the world, they are re-modding the boards and
    will be shipping soon (can't wait to get one for myself)

    Seems there is some who likes picking on the Raspberry team and their
    idea/product (not this thread, but in general). IMHO it outperforms
    the competition, like the Arduino boards. As for the complexity of
    getting started, just wait and see, since it sells nicely, the
    community support will be good.

    The low price and the combination of ethernet and USB connectivity
    will allow for an easy way to put together custom systems. Need an
    internet connection for example, just add a USB wireless stick.
    Drivers exist on the Linux Package and visual app tools for Linux are
    free.

    Regards

    Klaus
     
    Klaus Kragelund, Mar 8, 2012
    #7
  8. On 8 Mar., 22:02, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    > delay comments:http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-prod...
    >
    > http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805
    >
    > and some snippets:
    > ====================================
    > [Chorus]
    > Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    > Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    > Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    > Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    > This'll be the day that I die
    > ------------------------------------
    > Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
    > I thought that I might buy you,
    > but the warehouse was dry,
    > those good old boys say just wait one more month,
    > but you keep running into delays,
    > yeah, you keep running into delays.
    > ====================================
    > yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:
    >
    > Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
    > Seller: 89 dollars.
    > C: 89 dollars!  But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
    > S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
    > C: They're out of stock.
    > S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
    > ====================================
    >
    > Cheers Don...
    >
    > ====================================
    >
    > --
    > Don McKenzie
    >
    > Dontronics:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/
    >
    > DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroControllerhttp://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    > Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    > Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.


    Perhaps you opposition to Raspberry Pi is due to your company and you
    will loose money if it succeeds. Envy is a bad feeling....
     
    Klaus Kragelund, Mar 8, 2012
    #8
  9. !bob hugs microphone and utters:

    >On 2012-03-08, Jan Panteltje <> wrote:
    >
    >> Seems all very amateur to me.
    >> There is an old Dutch saying:
    >> "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    >
    >Is that the same Dutch that surrendered to the Nazis even quicker than
    >the French (ONE DAY!)?

    Netherlands is very small, 100km by 200km, and the army was non-existent by practical means.
    Pretty much 'saved' away.

    > Have you ever heard of a Dutch Mauser variant?
    >Do the Dutch even know how to shoot? I didn't think so.


    The Dutch were hunting bears up to the northpole in the last century,
    controlled much of the world trade, defeated the Spanish in the 80 year war,
    We just let you amriconions play boss a bit, then we will rule again,
    probably with Chinese help.
    It has come to my attention that the Chinese want to make the USA a
    Chinese province, and Chinese will be the language taught in your schools.
    All fire arms you have will be confiscated and you will have to bow
    for a picture of chairman ... every morning.
    This is the plan your grass-hut foreign presidente has worked out
    and made a deal with China to get the next loan, so obanana still has a salary.
    Actually I was a sharp shoot[1].
    I am still pretty good, but at my age my hands are not so steady.
    Bears are a big target, should be no problem.
    :)
    There is an other Dutch expression:
    'Bokken schieten'
    That is what that strawberry pie is about if you ask me :)

    [1] I shot GWBush, that man in the white house was a stand-in,
    clearly he knew nothing of anything.



    >> It is not that I did never came across a similar problem,
    >> just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    >> On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    >> is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    >> the ones I use are.
    >> What if the new connectors are more expensive?

    >
    >Not a new practice. I think the term is "vaporware". Yell from
    >rooftops, get venture capital, pad pockets, blame vendors, yada
    >yada..... Everyone does it, including Apple and others. Wait six
    >mos, buy the debugged version fer cheap if still alive, or look to the
    >next pretender.
    >
    >nb


    Yep


    >--
    >Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    >Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    >http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    >vi --the heart of evil!
    >
     
    Jan Panteltje, Mar 8, 2012
    #9
  10. Don McKenzie

    keithr Guest

    On 9/03/2012 8:02 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    >
    > delay comments:
    > http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/...: Slashdot/slashdotIt (Slashdot: IT)#comments
    >
    >
    > http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805
    >
    > and some snippets:
    > ====================================
    > [Chorus]
    > Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    > Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    > Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    > Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    > This'll be the day that I die
    > ------------------------------------
    > Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
    > I thought that I might buy you,
    > but the warehouse was dry,
    > those good old boys say just wait one more month,
    > but you keep running into delays,
    > yeah, you keep running into delays.
    > ====================================
    > yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:
    >
    > Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
    > Seller: 89 dollars.
    > C: 89 dollars! But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
    > S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
    > C: They're out of stock.
    > S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
    > ====================================
    >
    > Cheers Don...
    >
    > ====================================
    >

    What is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.
     
    keithr, Mar 8, 2012
    #10
  11. Don McKenzie

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 09-Mar-12 8:17 AM, keithr wrote:

    >> ====================================
    >>

    > What is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    > attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.


    I am only reporting on what others are saying Keith, so that makes me
    the messenger.

    Me, I have one on order, and am looking forward to it.

    Cheers Don...

    ==========================


    --
    Don McKenzie

    Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

    DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroController
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.
     
    Don McKenzie, Mar 8, 2012
    #11
  12. On 8 Mar., 22:17, keithr <> wrote:
    > On 9/03/2012 8:02 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > delay comments:
    > >http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-prod...

    >
    > >http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805

    >
    > > and some snippets:
    > > ====================================
    > > [Chorus]
    > > Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    > > Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    > > Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    > > Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    > > This'll be the day that I die
    > > ------------------------------------
    > > Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
    > > I thought that I might buy you,
    > > but the warehouse was dry,
    > > those good old boys say just wait one more month,
    > > but you keep running into delays,
    > > yeah, you keep running into delays.
    > > ====================================
    > > yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:

    >
    > > Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
    > > Seller: 89 dollars.
    > > C: 89 dollars! But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
    > > S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
    > > C: They're out of stock.
    > > S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
    > > ====================================

    >
    > > Cheers Don...

    >
    > > ====================================

    >
    > What  is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    > attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
    >
    > - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -



    Because he sells the Arduino that has less performance at a higher
    price and he will loose busyness if the Raspberry Pi succeeds. Envy...
     
    Klaus Kragelund, Mar 8, 2012
    #12
  13. Don McKenzie

    notbob Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to sci.electronics.design.]
    On 2012-03-08, Nico Coesel <> wrote:

    > Does this count:
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goalkeeper_CIWS


    Wrong answer! Actually, the US prototyped that weapon.

    OTOH, it was the Dutch Boers, expat Dutch, who upstaged and wreaked
    havoc and nearly brought the Brits to their knees during the famous
    Boer War in S. Africa. They merely showed good sense by buying German
    Mausers and outhinking the Limeys. In the meantime, the Dutch don't
    even have a good beer!! Apparently, ya' gotta leave Dutch soil to
    gain a pair.

    Hey.... jes kidding. I'm sure the Dutch are good for something
    besides tulips. ;)

    nb

    --
    Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    vi --the heart of evil!
     
    notbob, Mar 8, 2012
    #13
  14. Don McKenzie

    Bill Davy Guest

    "notbob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On 2012-03-08, Jan Panteltje <> wrote:
    >
    >> Seems all very amateur to me.
    >> There is an old Dutch saying:
    >> "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    >
    > Is that the same Dutch that surrendered to the Nazis even quicker than
    > the French (ONE DAY!)? Have you ever heard of a Dutch Mauser variant?
    > Do the Dutch even know how to shoot? I didn't think so.
    >
    >> It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    >> just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    >> On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    >> is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    >> the ones I use are.
    >> What if the new connectors are more expensive?

    >
    > Not a new practice. I think the term is "vaporware". Yell from
    > rooftops, get venture capital, pad pockets, blame vendors, yada
    > yada..... Everyone does it, including Apple and others. Wait six
    > mos, buy the debugged version fer cheap if still alive, or look to the
    > next pretender.
    >
    > nb
    >
    > --
    > Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    > Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    > http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    > vi --the heart of evil!



    Are you referrring to the 39-45 war or the 41-45 war?

    Like the 14-18 war vs the 16-18 war.
     
    Bill Davy, Mar 8, 2012
    #14
  15. Don McKenzie

    kreed Guest

    On Mar 9, 7:12 am, Klaus Kragelund <> wrote:
    > On 8 Mar., 22:02, Don McKenzie <5...@2.5A> wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > > delay comments:http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-prod...

    >
    > >http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805

    >
    > > and some snippets:
    > > ====================================
    > > [Chorus]
    > > Bye, bye Miss American Pie
    > > Drove my Chevy to the levee but the levee was dry
    > > Them good ole boys were drinking whiskey in Rye
    > > Singin' this'll be the day that I die
    > > This'll be the day that I die
    > > ------------------------------------
    > > Bye Bye, my Raspberry Pi,
    > > I thought that I might buy you,
    > > but the warehouse was dry,
    > > those good old boys say just wait one more month,
    > > but you keep running into delays,
    > > yeah, you keep running into delays.
    > > ====================================
    > > yesterday I read a this one on Beagle Bone board:

    >
    > > Customer: How much is a BeagleBone?
    > > Seller: 89 dollars.
    > > C: 89 dollars!  But a Raspberry Pi is only $35!
    > > S: So why don't you buy a Raspberry Pi, then?
    > > C: They're out of stock.
    > > S: Well, if BeagleBones were out of stock, they'd be only $30!
    > > ====================================

    >
    > > Cheers Don...

    >
    > > ====================================

    >
    > > --
    > > Don McKenzie

    >
    > > Dontronics:http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

    >
    > > DuinoMite the PIC32 $35 Basic Computer-MicroControllerhttp://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-maximite-computer.html
    > > Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
    > > Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.

    >
    > Perhaps you opposition to Raspberry Pi is due to your company and you
    > will loose money if it succeeds. Envy is a bad feeling....


    It's LOSE - not LOOSE
     
    kreed, Mar 9, 2012
    #15
  16. Don McKenzie

    who where Guest

    On Fri, 09 Mar 2012 05:39:15 +1100, Don McKenzie <5V@2.5A> wrote:

    >World's Raspberry Pi supply jammed in factory blunder
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/08/raspberry_pi_delayed_networking/
    >
    >Raspberry Pi shipping is delayed
    >http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2158162/raspberry-pi-shipping-delayed
    >
    >Raspberry Pi delayed by "manufacturing hiccup"
    >http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/education/373432/raspberry-pi-delayed-by-manufacturing-hiccup
    >
    >Cheers Don...
    >
    >============================


    What, no "Raspberry Jam"?
     
    who where, Mar 9, 2012
    #16
  17. Don McKenzie

    keithr Guest

    On 9/03/2012 8:20 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    > On 09-Mar-12 8:17 AM, keithr wrote:
    >
    >>> ====================================
    >>>

    >> What is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    >> attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.

    >
    > I am only reporting on what others are saying Keith, so that makes me
    > the messenger.
    >
    > Me, I have one on order, and am looking forward to it.


    Glad to hear it Don, its just that your posts seem to take some delight
    in any Pi problems.
     
    keithr, Mar 9, 2012
    #17
  18. Don McKenzie

    keithr Guest

    On 9/03/2012 10:12 AM, Bill Davy wrote:
    > "notbob"<> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On 2012-03-08, Jan Panteltje<> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Seems all very amateur to me.
    >>> There is an old Dutch saying:
    >>> "Do not sell the skin of the bear before you shot it."

    >>
    >> Is that the same Dutch that surrendered to the Nazis even quicker than
    >> the French (ONE DAY!)? Have you ever heard of a Dutch Mauser variant?
    >> Do the Dutch even know how to shoot? I didn't think so.
    >>
    >>> It is not that I did never came acros a similar problem,
    >>> just that I did not shout from the roofs before everything worked.
    >>> On top of that I find this pretty stupid,
    >>> is not most RJ45 with magnetics, and perhaps with LEDs these days?
    >>> the ones I use are.
    >>> What if the new connectors are more expensive?

    >>
    >> Not a new practice. I think the term is "vaporware". Yell from
    >> rooftops, get venture capital, pad pockets, blame vendors, yada
    >> yada..... Everyone does it, including Apple and others. Wait six
    >> mos, buy the debugged version fer cheap if still alive, or look to the
    >> next pretender.
    >>
    >> nb
    >>
    >> --
    >> Fight internet CENSORSHIP - Fight SOPA-PIPA
    >> Contact your congressman and/or representative, now!
    >> http://projects.propublica.org/sopa/
    >> vi --the heart of evil!

    >
    >
    > Are you referrring to the 39-45 war or the 41-45 war?
    >
    > Like the 14-18 war vs the 16-18 war.


    The 16-18 and 41-45 wars only apply to yanks, they were late for
    everything in those days, but seem to have learned their lesson, and
    these day they start wars instead of waiting around trying to decide
    whether to join in or not.
     
    keithr, Mar 9, 2012
    #18
  19. Don McKenzie

    MK Guest

    On 08/03/2012 21:21, Klaus Kragelund wrote:
    > On 8 Mar., 22:17, keithr<> wrote:
    >> On 9/03/2012 8:02 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>> delay comments:
    >>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/03/08/1413227/raspberry-pi-prod...

    >>
    >>> http://www.element14.com/community/message/46805

    >>
    >> What is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    >> attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -
    >>
    >> - Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

    >
    >
    > Because he sells the Arduino that has less performance at a higher
    > price and he will loose busyness if the Raspberry Pi succeeds. Envy...


    The problem with the RP is that a great many people who should know
    better are allowing hope (and hype) to triumph over experience.

    If the RP proposition was not so enticing would your really want to buy
    from an organization which has never made anything, been very
    'economical' with the truth, obviously has no quality control or
    procedures etc etc.

    I don't want the RP to fail because the media have bought into it and if
    it fails then the whole electronic engineering profession gets egg on
    its face - not a good thing.

    On the other hand, I wouldn't bet much on ever seeing a fully working RP
    - the whole saga is so reminiscent of the disasters that overtook many
    of the early personal computer projects. (Nascom, Newbury etc).

    If I were betting I'd bet on the Olimex Pi-alike. A combination of
    experience and fury is hard to beat !


    Michael Kellett
     
    MK, Mar 9, 2012
    #19
  20. Don McKenzie

    kreed Guest

    On Mar 9, 1:11 pm, keithr <> wrote:
    > On 9/03/2012 8:20 AM, Don McKenzie wrote:
    >
    > > On 09-Mar-12 8:17 AM, keithr wrote:

    >
    > >>> ====================================

    >
    > >> What is it about the Pi that makes you want it to fail? Because your
    > >> attitude seems to indicate that that is what you want.

    >
    > > I am only reporting on what others are saying Keith, so that makes me
    > > the messenger.

    >
    > > Me, I have one on order, and am looking forward to it.

    >
    > Glad to hear it Don, its just that your posts seem to take some delight
    > in any Pi problems.




    I have no commercial interest in any of these products, or Don's
    business but I do admit that
    when I hear over and over of all these various problems I do admit
    that the more
    I read, I admit that I do wonder if someone with an interest in these
    devices
    are in some kind of serious trouble - whether it be financial,
    regulatory, or technical problems
    that cannot be fixed easily and are just pushing out various excuses
    to make people believe all is
    ok when it might not be.


    Reading the articles and forums linked here there tends to be this
    feel to it,
    of the kind I remember in the past when someone is having serious
    business
    problems and won't admit to them, and ultimately fail, usually losing
    other people's money
    in the process.


    I don't know Don personally, but in my opinion reading here over the
    years,
    I think that he is not the sort of person who would resort to
    "rubbishing" the PI for
    ONLY the reason that it might cost him sales.

    Rubbishing it for that reason alone would be futile, as it will
    succeed or fail regardless
    of Don's opinion, or whether the backers of it survive or fail - as if
    it is a great and popular
    device, and viable, someone else will soon start making it or a
    compatible.


    I think you will find that if the PI is successful in the market, does
    what it promises to do, and gets a good following he will jump right
    in,
    post about his experiences with it on here, and possibly do his best
    to have them in stock,
    or have a compatible version out, whether designed/made by him or a
    3rd party




    In writing this, I'm giving my own personal opinion, it's not based on
    any facts
    but past experience in business and dealing with other people and
    firms over many years
    and am not saying or implying in any way that any organisation or
    product is or isn't in any sort of trouble or doing
    anything immoral or dishonest or that you should or shouldnt buy /
    support anything
     
    kreed, Mar 9, 2012
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Don McKenzie

    Is the Raspberry Pi real at that price?

    Don McKenzie, Mar 2, 2012, in forum: Embedded
    Replies:
    166
    Views:
    2,037
  2. Don McKenzie

    Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

    Don McKenzie, Mar 23, 2012, in forum: Embedded
    Replies:
    21
    Views:
    735
    Joerg
    Mar 27, 2012
  3. Don McKenzie
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    436
    kreed
    Mar 27, 2012
  4. Don McKenzie

    Raspberry Pi EMC Testing’s done!

    Don McKenzie, Apr 7, 2012, in forum: Embedded
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    643
    Brian
    Apr 15, 2012
  5. Alan Browne

    Jammed wireless keyboard

    Alan Browne, May 24, 2012, in forum: Apple
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    195
    Alan Browne
    May 24, 2012
Loading...

Share This Page