    I have a P3 650@868. I just found a P3 733 today. Will it OC as well?

    thx

    bob

    Bob Johnson, Oct 9, 2007

  2. Bob Johnson

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on the interweb "Bob Johnson" typed:
    > I have a P3 650@868. I just found a P3 733 today. Will it OC as well?

    The 650 is a 100MHz FSB and the 733 a 133?

    Prolly better off with the 650.

    Of course, if you gave more details then you'd likely get a more complete
    answer.
    --
    TTFN

    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Oct 9, 2007

  3. Bob Johnson

    Augustus Guest

    "Bob Johnson" <> wrote in message
    >I have a P3 650@868. I just found a P3 733 today. Will it OC as well?

    Unlikely. A PIII 733 will have a 133FSB. I've had a number of the EB series
    and found it hard to push the FSB over 150 with any degree of stability even
    with a decent board. The last and best EB unit I had was a PIII 1000EB that
    ran at 1140Mhz/ 152FSB on air with vcore up 10%. . Assuming you can get it
    to run at 150FSB without issues, that's 825Mhz. The PIII 650 you have is
    running at 133FSB for 868Mhz. I think the performance difference will be
    tiny.....what m/b are you using and which type of PIII?

    Augustus, Oct 9, 2007
  4. Bob Johnson

    class_a Guest

    Bob Johnson wrote:
    > I have a P3 650@868. I just found a P3 733 today. Will it OC as well?

    Will your 650 not go a bit higher? Those were good overclocking chips.
    I ran a 650@936, on stock voltage(!), for about three years before I
    upgraded. It would easily have gone higher, but my PC133 memory kept
    crapping out if I tried any more.... and I didn't want to start messing
    around with overvolting CPU and memory as a 44% overclock was enough for
    me :)

    As others have said, the 733 is unlikely to overclock as much as the
    650. In reality, the 733 is really just a overclocked P3-550 running
    with a 133Mhz FSB instead of 100MHz.

    class_a, Oct 9, 2007
  5. Bob Johnson

    Bob Johnson Guest

    Thanks, Guys

    I think I maxxed out the 650 with my old ABit BH-6 1.0 board (pc 100 ram
    512). But what a great workhorse it's been!

    bob

    Bob Johnson, Oct 10, 2007