    Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.
    Thanks,
    Tim

    Outtatheloop, Oct 23, 2010

  2. On 10/22/10 11:10 PM, Outtatheloop wrote:
    > Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.
    > Thanks,
    > Tim

    There's one of these on eBay:

    <http://cgi.ebay.com/Heathkit-EPROM-Programmer-Factory-Built-Brand-New-/220685347096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3361df2918#ht_481wt_1156>

    | Charles and Francis Richmond |
    | |
    | plano dot net at aquaporin4 dot com |

    Charles Richmond, Oct 23, 2010

  3. Outtatheloop

    JeffM Guest

    Outtatheloop wrote:
    >Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.

    Dear ignorant Google Grouper,
    None of the groups to which you have cross-posted this
    have in their names one of the magic words
    ads biz forsale marketplace

    As such, a WTB post is inappropriate in each of them.
    Here is the charter for sci.electronics.basics
    http://groups.google.com/group/sci....rchy *.*.not.a.forsale.group zz-zz Discussion
    which *explicitly* forbids this
    (though the general rule above already holds for all):

    JeffM, Oct 23, 2010
  4. Outtatheloop

    TXMarsh Guest

    Charles... thank you.

    JeffM... thank you for so graciously pointing out my ignorance. You
    may feel better to know that I am not exclusively a Google Groups
    user. That said, with 99.8% of the posts to these boards being spam I
    don't feel too bad about posting a science/computer/electronics
    related WTB. Nuff said... at least by me. I'm sure you'll take the
    time to opine more.

    TXMarsh, Oct 23, 2010
  5. Outtatheloop

    Don McKenzie Guest

    On 24/10/2010 4:32 AM, JeffM wrote:
    > Outtatheloop wrote:
    >> Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.
    >>

    > Dear ignorant Google Grouper,
    > None of the groups to which you have cross-posted this
    > have in their names one of the magic words
    > ads biz forsale marketplace

    He asked for assistance with finding an electronic device.
    What's more, he got an immediate answer.
    In fact I am amazed anyone had one for sale these days.

    What's the problem JeffM?

    Cheers Don...

    =====================

    --
    Don McKenzie

    Site Map: http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
    Web Camera Page: http://www.dontronics.com/webcam
    No More Damn Spam: http://www.dontronics.com/spam

    USB Isolator 1000VDC For Protecting Your PC OR Laptop
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/usb-iso-low-full-speed-usb-isolator.html

    These products will reduce in price by 5% every month:
    http://www.dontronics-shop.com/minus-5-every-month.html

    Don McKenzie, Oct 23, 2010
  6. Outtatheloop

    JeffM Guest

    Don McKenzie wrote:
    >He asked for assistance with finding an electronic device.
    >What's more, he got an immediate answer.
    >In fact I am amazed anyone had one for sale these days.
    >
    >What's the problem JeffM?

    If you would like to amend the charter for s.e.b.,
    feel free to propose that.
    In the meantime, as mentioned,
    that charter *explicitly* forbids buy-or-sell posts.

    If the OP wanted to be *technically* within policy,
    he could have posted something NOT forbidden
    and put his request in his sig.

    In the meantime, he's a selfish, ignorant, off-topic poster
    and you are a defender of his aberrant behavior.

    JeffM, Oct 24, 2010
  7. Outtatheloop

    Rich Grise Guest

    On Sat, 23 Oct 2010 16:06:44 -0700, JeffM wrote:

    > If you would like to amend the charter for s.e.b.,
    > feel free to propose that.
    > In the meantime, as mentioned,
    > that charter *explicitly* forbids buy-or-sell posts.

    Where do we find this charter?

    Thanks,
    Rich

    Rich Grise, Oct 24, 2010
  8. Outtatheloop

    JeffM Guest

    Rich Grise wrote:
    >Where do we find this charter?

    Those paying attention
    would know that it has already been linked in this thread.
    For others:
    http://google.com/search?q=" sci.electronics.basics" charter -charter.net

    JeffM, Oct 24, 2010
  9. Outtatheloop

    Joe Pfeiffer Guest

    JeffM <> writes:

    > Outtatheloop wrote:
    >>Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.
    >>

    > Dear ignorant Google Grouper,
    > None of the groups to which you have cross-posted this
    > have in their names one of the magic words
    > ads biz forsale marketplace
    >
    > As such, a WTB post is inappropriate in each of them.
    > Here is the charter for sci.electronics.basics
    > http://groups.google.com/group/sci....rchy *.*.not.a.forsale.group zz-zz Discussion
    > which *explicitly* forbids this
    > (though the general rule above already holds for all):

    Seems to me like looking for some old computer/electronics-related gear
    here isn't too far out of line. If we were to start sticking to our
    charter all the political discussions would go away...

    Joe Pfeiffer, Oct 24, 2010
  10. Outtatheloop

    Peter Flass Guest

    Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
    > JeffM <> writes:
    >
    >> Outtatheloop wrote:
    >>> Looking for a Heathkit ID-4801 EPROM Programmer.
    >>>

    >> Dear ignorant Google Grouper,
    >> None of the groups to which you have cross-posted this
    >> have in their names one of the magic words
    >> ads biz forsale marketplace
    >>
    >> As such, a WTB post is inappropriate in each of them.
    >> Here is the charter for sci.electronics.basics
    >> http://groups.google.com/group/sci....rchy *.*.not.a.forsale.group zz-zz Discussion
    >> which *explicitly* forbids this
    >> (though the general rule above already holds for all):

    > Seems to me like looking for some old computer/electronics-related gear
    > here isn't too far out of line. If we were to start sticking to our
    > charter all the political discussions would go away...

    Depends on where "here" is. Since I've never seen JeffM on a.f.c
    before, I assume he's a denizen of c.a.e or s.e.b where the conventions
    might be different. I agree it's not too out of line on a.f.c, but I
    wouldn't want to see this NG overrun with buying and selling.

    Peter Flass, Oct 24, 2010
  11. Outtatheloop

    TXMarsh Guest

    Seems like my post started a firestorm.

    While JeffM's response was nothing short of pure rude (which is never
    appropriate) he is correct that these are not marketplace forums... my
    mistake.

    Sincerely,

    Tim

    TXMarsh, Oct 24, 2010
  12. Outtatheloop

    Seebs Guest

    On 2010-10-24, Morten Reistad <> wrote:
    > A WTB heathkit eprom programmer is definatly OK in a.f.c, provided it
    > is followed by at least 4 articles of thread drift.

    For which we are indebted, of course, to our rude friend. :p

    -s

    Seebs, Oct 25, 2010
  13. On 10/24/10 11:01 AM, TXMarsh wrote:
    > Seems like my post started a firestorm.
    >
    > While JeffM's response was nothing short of pure rude (which is never
    > appropriate) he is correct that these are not marketplace forums... my
    > mistake.

    Whether or *not* you got the Heathkit EPROM Programmer, please
    tell us: Why do you need *this* particular programmer??? Would
    *not* any EPROM programmer work just as well??? Do you have a lot
    of Heathkit gear???

    Charles Richmond, Oct 26, 2010
  14. Outtatheloop

    TXMarsh Guest

    On Oct 25, 8:33 pm, Charles Richmond <> wrote:
    > On 10/24/10 11:01 AM, TXMarsh wrote:
    >
    > > Seems like my post started a firestorm.

    > > While JeffM's response was nothing short of pure rude (which is never
    > > appropriate) he is correct that these are not marketplace forums... my
    > > mistake.

    > Whether or *not* you got the Heathkit EPROM Programmer, please
    > tell us:  Why do you need *this* particular programmer??? Would
    > *not* any EPROM programmer work just as well??? Do you have a lot
    > of Heathkit gear???

    Hi Charles,

    I'm gonna give it my best shot when the auction closes tomorrow but it
    may go too high for me.
    What I like about this programmer is that, I believe, it can also
    function as an eprom simulator.
    I haven't found any other simulators that support the older 2716 and
    2732 eproms... heck, it isn't easy finding any simulators these
    days.
    Of course I can continue the burn, burn, burn and batch erase routine
    but being able to quickly try something will have its benefits.
    This activity all centers around writing custom code for old 1980
    vintage pinball machines that are motorola 6808 based and use
    primarily 2716 and 2732 eproms.
    One of my test fixtures (which uses custom code on the pinball boards)
    can be seen here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQYDS9JNWI

    Now I'm attempting to take the diagnostics to a more detailed level.

    As far as heathkit... I only have a line following robot that I built
    when I was a kid... but I remember the stores and I can see myself
    getting hooked on collecting heathkit... I'm sure my wife hopes that I
    don't!

    take care,
    Tim

    TXMarsh, Oct 26, 2010
  15. TXMarsh:

    > I haven't found any other simulators that support the older 2716 and
    > 2732 eproms... heck, it isn't easy finding any simulators these
    > days.

    I should have three ROM emulators made by Parallax (the one of the Basic
    Stamps) a little less than 20 years ago. But they work on the paralel port
    and I don't have the related (clearly DOS) software. If you can find it
    I'll be happy to send them to you.

    --
    Saluti

    F. Bertolazzi, Oct 26, 2010
  16. Outtatheloop

    JW Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:05:39 -0700 (PDT) TXMarsh <>
    wrote in Message id:
    <>:

    >Hi Charles,
    >
    >I'm gonna give it my best shot when the auction closes tomorrow but it
    >may go too high for me.
    >What I like about this programmer is that, I believe, it can also
    >function as an eprom simulator.
    >I haven't found any other simulators that support the older 2716 and
    >2732 eproms... heck, it isn't easy finding any simulators these
    >days.
    >Of course I can continue the burn, burn, burn and batch erase routine
    >but being able to quickly try something will have its benefits.

    Why not use EEPROMs? Erase times would be much less.

    JW, Oct 26, 2010
  17. Outtatheloop

    Mike McGinn Guest

    TXMarsh wrote:

    > On Oct 25, 8:33 pm, Charles Richmond <> wrote:
    >> On 10/24/10 11:01 AM, TXMarsh wrote:
    >>
    >> > Seems like my post started a firestorm.

    >> > While JeffM's response was nothing short of pure rude (which is never
    >> > appropriate) he is correct that these are not marketplace forums... my
    >> > mistake.

    >> Whether or *not* you got the Heathkit EPROM Programmer, please
    >> tell us: Why do you need *this* particular programmer??? Would
    >> *not* any EPROM programmer work just as well??? Do you have a lot
    >> of Heathkit gear???

    > Hi Charles,
    >
    > I'm gonna give it my best shot when the auction closes tomorrow but it
    > may go too high for me.
    > What I like about this programmer is that, I believe, it can also
    > function as an eprom simulator.
    > I haven't found any other simulators that support the older 2716 and
    > 2732 eproms... heck, it isn't easy finding any simulators these
    > days.
    > Of course I can continue the burn, burn, burn and batch erase routine
    > but being able to quickly try something will have its benefits.
    > This activity all centers around writing custom code for old 1980
    > vintage pinball machines that are motorola 6808 based and use
    > primarily 2716 and 2732 eproms.
    > One of my test fixtures (which uses custom code on the pinball boards)
    > can be seen here:
    >
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mQYDS9JNWI
    >
    > Now I'm attempting to take the diagnostics to a more detailed level.
    >
    > As far as heathkit... I only have a line following robot that I built
    > when I was a kid... but I remember the stores and I can see myself
    > getting hooked on collecting heathkit... I'm sure my wife hopes that I
    > don't!
    >
    > take care,
    > Tim

    Wow. Something like that would have been great back when I was a twenty year
    old pinball repairman, even though we mostly had Bally machines.

    --
    Mike McGinn FACOCM
    You won't look forward to the trip!

    Mike McGinn, Oct 26, 2010
  18. Morten Reistad:

    > I built a number of those. 4 x 2116 stacked on top with three pins
    > bent out, a 74H138 to demux the next bits + enable, a 7404 and a switch
    > to set rw/ro mode, and a little 6V alkaline battery assebly and a diode
    > with 0.85V drop to feed it while not connected to power, all assembled
    > into a DIP cradle.

    In mine the RAM is a single chip in a 24 or 28 pin wide DIP. They have a
    flat cable with a DIP connector that plugs into a 27C51 socket, two modular
    plugs for the parallel port and for daisy-chaining other emulators, no
    battery, diodes or switches, as they are powered by the target and do not
    need to be unplugged from either the PC or the target.

    > I never made drawings, just soldered it together for a commodore PET
    > project. It got popular, so I had to make copies.

    Good! :)

    F. Bertolazzi, Oct 26, 2010
  19. On Tue, 26 Oct 2010 15:51:23 +0200
    Morten Reistad <> wrote:

    > In article <18rz7rqn83zwa$>,
    > F. Bertolazzi <> wrote:
    > >TXMarsh:
    > >
    > >> I haven't found any other simulators that support the older 2716 and
    > >> 2732 eproms... heck, it isn't easy finding any simulators these
    > >> days.

    > I built a number of those. 4 x 2116 stacked on top with three pins
    > bent out, a 74H138 to demux the next bits + enable, a 7404 and a switch
    > to set rw/ro mode, and a little 6V alkaline battery assebly and a diode
    > with 0.85V drop to feed it while not connected to power, all assembled
    > into a DIP cradle.

    These days you could probably add a set of ports to a PC, wire them
    to a DIP plug and emulate the EPROM in software complete with the timing
    characteristics.

    I can't think why you'd want to but ...

    --
    Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
    C:>WIN | A better way to focus the sun

    Ahem A Rivet's Shot, Oct 26, 2010
  20. Ahem A Rivet's Shot:

    > These days you could probably add a set of ports to a PC, wire them
    > to a DIP plug and emulate the EPROM in software complete with the timing
    > characteristics.

    I definitely don't think so. A PC must handle lots of unpredictable
    interrupts that will skew the timings. On the other hand, using a parallel
    FTDI chip...

    --
    Saluti

    F. Bertolazzi, Oct 26, 2010