Xbox 360 is 'better' than PS3. it has more RAM memory

Discussion in 'Nvidia' started by Guest, May 30, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    something that most people seem to be overlooking when comparing
    Playstation3 to Xbox 360
    -- the Xbox 360 has more total RAM memory than PS3.

    Xbox 360 has 522 MB RAM total: 512 MB + 10 MB EDRAM

    Playstation3 has 512 MB total: 256 MB + 256 MB

    this alone makes Xbox 360 better, as far as its hardware.

    there are other areas where Xbox 360 seems totally superior to PS3, such as
    memory bandwidth, thanks to that EDRAM, but looking at the amount of RAM
    alone, I don't see how PS3 can be stronger than Xbox 360. RAM means more
    than almost anything. more than nonsense Gflops numbers or other
    theoretical specs. RAM amount is a hard, provable, solid measure. there
    is no denying that Xbox 360 has more memory than PS3. Also, Xbox360's
    GDDR3 memory is the same memory than PS3 uses on the GPU side of its memory.
    The other half of PS3's memory, the Rambus XDR memory, is totally unproven
    (like Cell) and could have HORRIBLE latency problems as Rambus has a history
    of having bad latency issues with its RAM. it was true of the Nintendo64 and
    the Playstation2 which both used Rambus DRAM.

    how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as Xbox360,
    put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker console?
    does not make sense.
    Guest, May 30, 2005

  2. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    IF one of the systems is better than the other then those that buy it
    will be happy, but you know and I know that none of this crap people
    keep posting is going to make any difference to anyone who has a
    like/dislike for a company and all it does is show certain people to
    be obsessed with winning or being the best or my dad's bigger than
    your dad. WHEN they come out buy the one you want and shut the bloody
    hell up!!!!!!!!

    --
    Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005

  3. > how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as Xbox360,
    > put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker console?
    > does not make sense.

    Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    ..Jarle
    Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug, May 30, 2005
  4. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    People do this all the time, Paul. I remember back when I was 7 or 8 years
    old and the friends around the neighborhood used to argue Ford vs. Chevy, or
    even whether it should be Chevy vs. Ford. Or there shouldn't be any
    comparison because (fill in a name) was so much better.

    It is the competitive world. And that's why major league baseball started
    the inter-league play with "rivals weekend" or whatever they're calling it.
    Nothing better than bragging rights on something, even gaming consoles,
    whereas other "normal" people might think Cal vs. Stanford, Arizona vs.
    Arizona State or Notre Dame vs. USC is THE GAME. :cool:
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    Chris H., May 30, 2005
  5. Guest

    Per W. Guest

    <blazinglazer> skrev i melding news:...
    > something that most people seem to be overlooking when comparing
    > Playstation3 to Xbox 360
    > -- the Xbox 360 has more total RAM memory than PS3.
    >
    > Xbox 360 has 522 MB RAM total: 512 MB + 10 MB EDRAM
    >
    > Playstation3 has 512 MB total: 256 MB + 256 MB
    >

    > this alone makes Xbox 360 better, as far as its hardware.

    DORK.

    /Per W.
    Per W., May 30, 2005
  6. Guest

    Per W. Guest

    "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> skrev i
    melding news:429b0384$...

    >> how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as Xbox360,
    >> put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker console?
    >> does not make sense.

    > Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    Think the big difference it would has been if his father used a condome?

    /Per W.
    Per W., May 30, 2005
  7. Guest

    Xen* Guest

    "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> ha scritto nel
    messaggio news:429b0384$...

    >> how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as Xbox360,
    >> put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker console?
    >> does not make sense.

    > Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    sure if in this 10 MB the framebuffer fit and it was eDRAM witch a bandwitch
    of 256 GB/s
    this means Blending, Stencil Shadows, Anti Aliasing per free, as like all
    the other operations on the framebuffer

    the only AA in a more standard structure as is RSX, can cause a performance
    hit between 35-60% on the final frame per seconds ratio
    Xen*, May 30, 2005
  8. Guest

    Xen* Guest

    <blazinglazer> ha scritto nel messaggio

    PLEASE stop crossposting!
    Xen*, May 30, 2005
  9. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > People do this all the time, Paul. I remember back when I was 7 or 8 years
    > old and the friends around the neighborhood used to argue Ford vs. Chevy, or
    > even whether it should be Chevy vs. Ford. Or there shouldn't be any
    > comparison because (fill in a name) was so much better.
    >
    > It is the competitive world. And that's why major league baseball started
    > the inter-league play with "rivals weekend" or whatever they're calling it.
    > Nothing better than bragging rights on something, even gaming consoles,
    > whereas other "normal" people might think Cal vs. Stanford, Arizona vs.
    > Arizona State or Notre Dame vs. USC is THE GAME. :cool:
    > --

    I know, but they really seem to think that by posting some flame
    against a certain company they can change our minds.

    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005
  10. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    "Per W." wrote:

    > "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> skrev i
    > melding news:429b0384$...
    > >

    > >> how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as Xbox360,
    > >> put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker console?
    > >> does not make sense.

    > > Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    > Think the big difference it would has been if his father used a condome?
    >
    > /Per W.

    oh, now I feel so sad... maybe he did and it burst?
    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005
  11. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Xen*" <si si, bravo, > wrote in message

    > "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> ha scritto
    > nel messaggio news:429b0384$...
    >>

    >>> how could Sony, who is claiming that PS3 is twice as powerful as
    >>> Xbox360,
    >>> put LESS RAM memory into their console, than a supposedly weaker
    >>> console?
    >>> does not make sense.

    >> Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    > sure if in this 10 MB the framebuffer fit and it was eDRAM witch a
    > bandwitch of 256 GB/s
    > this means Blending, Stencil Shadows, Anti Aliasing per free, as like all
    > the other operations on the framebuffer
    >
    > the only AA in a more standard structure as is RSX, can cause a
    > performance hit between 35-60% on the final frame per seconds ratio

    thanks - this is more or less true. the small amount of memory that Xbox
    360 has *beyond* the PS3, the 10 MegaBytes, is of tremendous significance
    because it is HYPER fast eDRAM with 32 GB/sec between it and the GPU core,
    and internally, 256 GB/sec between eDRAM and the logic on the eDRAM module.

    PS3 has no equivalent whatsoever. this is really funny, because in the
    current generation, it is the PS2 that has the high-bandwidth eDRAM and the
    Xbox that lacks it. now things have reversed. how Sony could **** up like
    this is beyond me. yes it really matters for GAMES. when you can take
    the stress off the main memory bus and have all the huge bandwidth draining
    functions done on hyper fast embedded memory, it makes a big difference.
    that is one of the main reasons why both PS2 and Gamecube games often have
    smoother framerates than Xbox games, dispite the claim that Xbox is so much
    more powerful than the other two -- eDRAM on PS2's GS and Gamecube's
    Flipper make all the difference. the NV2A GPU in Xbox lacks eDRAM so all
    the heavy rendering operations are using up Xbox's main memory bandwidth.

    now the Xbox 360 is the one that has eDRAM and PS3 does not.
    Guest, May 30, 2005
  12. Guest

    Guest Guest

    "Per W." <> wrote in message

    > <blazinglazer> skrev i melding news:...
    >> something that most people seem to be overlooking when comparing
    >> Playstation3 to Xbox 360
    >> -- the Xbox 360 has more total RAM memory than PS3.
    >>
    >> Xbox 360 has 522 MB RAM total: 512 MB + 10 MB EDRAM
    >>
    >> Playstation3 has 512 MB total: 256 MB + 256 MB
    >>

    >> this alone makes Xbox 360 better, as far as its hardware.

    > DORK.
    >
    > /Per W.

    Do You Feel Better About Yourself Now, Per ?
    Guest, May 30, 2005
  13. Guest

    Chris H. Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    Or topping the previous flame. :cool: There are so many more creative and
    beneficial things to be done in life.

    Chris H., May 30, 2005
  14. Guest

    Per W. Guest

    <blazinglazer> skrev i melding news:...

    > "Per W." <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> <blazinglazer> skrev i melding news:...
    >>> something that most people seem to be overlooking when comparing
    >>> Playstation3 to Xbox 360
    >>> -- the Xbox 360 has more total RAM memory than PS3.
    >>>
    >>> Xbox 360 has 522 MB RAM total: 512 MB + 10 MB EDRAM
    >>>
    >>> Playstation3 has 512 MB total: 256 MB + 256 MB
    >>>

    >>> this alone makes Xbox 360 better, as far as its hardware.

    >> DORK.
    >>
    >> /Per W.

    > Do You Feel Better About Yourself Now, Per ?

    Try to get a keyboard without capital letter in every word.

    /Per W.
    Per W., May 30, 2005
  15. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    "Chris H." wrote:

    > Or topping the previous flame. :cool: There are so many more creative and
    > beneficial things to be done in life.
    > --
    > Chris H.

    They could try getting one to start with :O)

    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005
  16. In article <>, <blazinglazer> says...
    > something that most people seem to be overlooking when comparing
    > Playstation3 to Xbox 360
    > -- the Xbox 360 has more total RAM memory than PS3.
    >
    > Xbox 360 has 522 MB RAM total: 512 MB + 10 MB EDRAM
    >
    > Playstation3 has 512 MB total: 256 MB + 256 MB

    Actually, I'm *very* surprised they both went with such a low amount of
    RAM. THis is supposed to be good for the next 5 years or so and already
    1GB of RAM is pretty much a requirement on the PC front. Not having the
    consoles ship with 1GB is a huge mistake IMO.

    --
    Rob Berryhill
    Rob Berryhill, May 30, 2005
  17. Guest

    Scream Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    "Chris H." <> wrote in message
    > People do this all the time, Paul. I remember back when I was 7 or 8
    > years old and the friends around the neighborhood used to argue Ford vs.
    > Chevy, or even whether it should be Chevy vs. Ford.

    Honda rules them both. ;-)
    Scream, May 30, 2005
  18. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > "Per W." wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> skrev i
    >> melding news:429b0384$...

    >> > Do you really think 10mb more ram will make ANY difference?

    >> Think the big difference it would has been if his father used a condome?
    >>
    >> /Per W.

    > oh, now I feel so sad... maybe he did and it burst?

    And the drips got licked up by a monkey on heat.
    Dr Gordon Crowbar, May 30, 2005
  19. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Re: SHUT UP!!!!!

    Scream wrote:

    > "Chris H." <> wrote in message
    > > People do this all the time, Paul. I remember back when I was 7 or 8
    > > years old and the friends around the neighborhood used to argue Ford vs.
    > > Chevy, or even whether it should be Chevy vs. Ford.

    > Honda rules them both. ;-)

    Nah, Nissan... there's a factory over the river :O)

    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005
  20. Guest

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Dr Gordon Crowbar wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > "Per W." wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Jarle Hrafn Grindhaug" <jarle@[nospamingfilter]spiderman.no> skrev i
    > >> melding news:429b0384$...

    > >> Think the big difference it would has been if his father used a condome?
    > >>
    > >> /Per W.

    > > oh, now I feel so sad... maybe he did and it burst?

    > And the drips got licked up by a monkey on heat.

    poor monkey... all that poison
    Paul Heslop, May 30, 2005