    The the system will mostly be running two or three instances of a
    large non-threaded application, plus supporting users' desktops (remote
    logins via vnc).
    Whoever, Sep 20, 2006

  2. Whoever

    Chris Cox Guest

    Whoever wrote:
    > If one had the choice of two Xeon 5050 processors vs. one 5150
    > processor, which is better?
    >
    > The the system will mostly be running two or three instances of a large
    > non-threaded application, plus supporting users' desktops (remote logins
    > via vnc).

    The 5150... right? I mean the 50xx is for ovens and such.
    Chris Cox, Sep 20, 2006

  3. Whoever

    Yousuf Khan Guest

    Whoever wrote:
    > If one had the choice of two Xeon 5050 processors vs. one 5150
    > processor, which is better?

    It's not even a question, always go for the 5100-series before the
    5000-series. 5100 series is Core 2-based, 5000 series is Pentium 4 based.

    Yousuf Khan
    Yousuf Khan, Sep 21, 2006
  4. Whoever

    Dave Littell Guest

    Whoever wrote:
    > If one had the choice of two Xeon 5050 processors vs. one 5150
    > processor, which is better?

    I believe the 5150 is about 100 better... ;-)

    > The the system will mostly be running two or three instances of a large
    > non-threaded application, plus supporting users' desktops (remote logins
    > via vnc).

    Does "large" mean "cache-busting-paging-like-mad-large"? If so,
    you might be better served to avoid P4-based processors.

    Dave
    Dave Littell, Sep 22, 2006
  5. Whoever

    Whoever Guest

    On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Dave Littell wrote:

    > Whoever wrote:
    >> If one had the choice of two Xeon 5050 processors vs. one 5150 processor,
    >> which is better?
    >>

    > I believe the 5150 is about 100 better... ;-)
    >
    >> The the system will mostly be running two or three instances of a large
    >> non-threaded application, plus supporting users' desktops (remote logins
    >> via vnc).

    > Does "large" mean "cache-busting-paging-like-mad-large"? If so, you might be
    > better served to avoid P4-based processors.

    And use what instead? Opterons? The application won't be paging
    significantly -- the system should have enough memory to avoid this, but I
    don't know if it is "cache-busting".

    Anyway, I am kind of limited to Xeons, since I am limited to Dell and they
    don't offer Opterons in servers yet.

    Anyway, I went for a system with a single 5160 processor, with the intent
    to add a second processor when they become somewhat cheaper.
    Whoever, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Whoever

    Mike Smith Guest

    Whoever wrote:

    > On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Dave Littell wrote:
    >
    >> Whoever wrote:
    >>> If one had the choice of two Xeon 5050 processors vs. one 5150
    >>> processor,
    >>> which is better?
    >>>

    >> I believe the 5150 is about 100 better... ;-)
    >>
    >>> The the system will mostly be running two or three instances of a large
    >>> non-threaded application, plus supporting users' desktops (remote
    >>> logins
    >>> via vnc).

    >> Does "large" mean "cache-busting-paging-like-mad-large"? If so, you
    >> might be better served to avoid P4-based processors.

    > And use what instead? Opterons?

    Or Core-architecture CPUs, like the Xeon 5100 series. In a
    cache-busting machine vision application I'm involved with now (grabbing
    and processing from four VGA-res cameras simultaneously at ~190 Hz),
    we're finding that a pair of Xeon 5160s outperform a pair of Opteron
    285s by a fair margin.

    --
    Mike Smith
    Mike Smith, Sep 24, 2006