xeon 5160 3 GHz and gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board problems

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by derf109@gmail.com, Jun 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Here's what I have:

    Xeon 5160 3.0 GHZ CPU (just one)
    Gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board
    2 GB Kingston RAM
    PC Power Cooling 'Silencer 610' power supply

    Power into the board with CPU and memory (no PCI cards) via connecting
    both
    24-pin cable and aux power cable: nothing.

    Unplug 24-pin cable and plug it into a power supply tester: all lights
    come on fine.
    Leave aux cable in, keep 24-pin cable in tester: system turns on (CPU
    fan spins,
    no video though).

    I've replaced the board once. Can't be a bad board.
    PC Power Cooling people tell me PS is OK, tester verifies this.

    What else could the problem be?
    Do I HAVE to put 2 Xeon 5160s in the board? Currently I'm using only
    one (yes,
    it's in the right socket and in the correct orientation).
    Or is this 5160 not compatible with the board?
    Gigabyte said it was.
    Or is it just a bad CPU? How can I test THAT without getting the
    whole system to work
    to begin with?

    Thanks in advance
    , Jun 9, 2007

  2. Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc wrote:
    > Here's what I have:

    > Xeon 5160 3.0 GHZ CPU (just one)
    > Gigabyte GA-7VCSV-RH board
    > 2 GB Kingston RAM
    > PC Power Cooling 'Silencer 610' power supply

    > Power into the board with CPU and memory (no PCI cards) via connecting
    > both
    > 24-pin cable and aux power cable: nothing.

    > Unplug 24-pin cable and plug it into a power supply tester: all lights
    > come on fine.
    > Leave aux cable in, keep 24-pin cable in tester: system turns on (CPU
    > fan spins,
    > no video though).

    > I've replaced the board once. Can't be a bad board.
    > PC Power Cooling people tell me PS is OK, tester verifies this.

    > What else could the problem be?
    > Do I HAVE to put 2 Xeon 5160s in the board? Currently I'm using only
    > one (yes,
    > it's in the right socket and in the correct orientation).
    > Or is this 5160 not compatible with the board?
    > Gigabyte said it was.
    > Or is it just a bad CPU? How can I test THAT without getting the
    > whole system to work
    > to begin with?

    An LED power tester does not tell you enough. For example +5VSB
    cpule be too low. Had this recently with a PSU, were +5VSB
    only had 4.1V, not enough to turn on the mainboard, but
    probably enough fpr a cheap PSU tester, since it will likely
    not test this voltage in a meaningful way.

    Plug in both connectors to the maonboard and then measure +5VSB
    (should be violet). Also, wothout swithcin the board on,
    it will likely not do anything. Second step is to connect the
    power switch and see whether you can turn it on that way.

    Arno
    Arno Wagner, Jun 9, 2007