    understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
    recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
    61c...should I be concerned?
    tdstr, Jul 17, 2006

  2. tdstr

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:

    > I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
    > yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
    > of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
    > cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
    > go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
    > understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
    > recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
    > 61c...should I be concerned?

    You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
    fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
    faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
    about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
    site.

    Wes Newell, Jul 17, 2006

  3. tdstr

    tdstr Guest

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:
    >
    >> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
    >> yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
    >> of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
    >> cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
    >> go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
    >> understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
    >> recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
    >> 61c...should I be concerned?

    > You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
    > fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
    > faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
    > about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
    > site.

    Heard that before and it makes sense.

    But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
    be concerned about overheating?
    tdstr, Jul 17, 2006
  4. tdstr

    Ed Light Guest

    When they go past 60C they are prone to making errors.

    --
    Ed Light

    Smiley :-/
    MS Smiley :-\

    Send spam to the FTC at

    Thanks, robots.

    Bring the Troops Home:
    http://bringthemhomenow.org
    Ed Light, Jul 17, 2006
  5. tdstr

    Wes Newell Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:44:51 -0500, tdstr wrote:

    > Wes Newell wrote:
    >> On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:33:35 -0500, tdstr wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd
    >>> yet. As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because
    >>> of the midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the
    >>> cpu never gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could*
    >>> go to 81c. Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better
    >>> understanding of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the
    >>> recommended ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit
    >>> 61c...should I be concerned?

    >> You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
    >> fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
    >> faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
    >> about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
    >> site.
    >>

    > Heard that before and it makes sense.
    >
    > But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
    > be concerned about overheating?

    Anything under 60C is ok. Or more accurately, anything 25C or less under
    ambient at full load is fine, not to exceed about 65C (IMO). Could you do
    better than you do now, maybe, but why worry about it if you aren't having
    any problems.

    Wes Newell, Jul 17, 2006
  6. tdstr

    tdstr Guest

    Wes Newell wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:44:51 -0500, tdstr wrote:
    >
    >> Wes Newell wrote:

    >>> You have the top of the line K7 CPU. It isn't going to overclock enough
    >>> fool with. If it's stable now, leave it alone. If you need something
    >>> faster look at newer platforms after the upcoming cpu pricing cuts in
    >>> about a week. And start researching the new CPU's on about any hardware
    >>> site.
    >>>

    >> Heard that before and it makes sense.
    >>
    >> But it still begs the question; am I running too hot as it is? Should I
    >> be concerned about overheating?

    > Anything under 60C is ok. Or more accurately, anything 25C or less under
    > ambient at full load is fine, not to exceed about 65C (IMO). Could you do
    > better than you do now, maybe, but why worry about it if you aren't having
    > any problems.

    Just exactly what I was looking for. I was getting worried as my
    upstairs home office is approaching the 100f mark. My pc must be happy
    with the cpu temp as I never really had thermal issues with it in the
    past. Thanx!
    tdstr, Jul 17, 2006
  7. tdstr

    Frank Guest

    --

    "tdstr" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings
    >
    > I have a XP 3200+(not certain on the revision) that is not being oc'd yet.
    > As it stand right now the cpu is hovering between 51-58c because of the
    > midwest heat wave we're having. In normal temp conditions the cpu never
    > gets pass 51c. According to AMD they state this cpu *could* go to 81c.
    > Before I even attempt to oc my rig I'd like to get a better understanding
    > of the ideal operating temp for the XP3200+. What is the recommended
    > ideal temp for the 3200+? A few times I've seen the cpu hit 61c...should
    > I be concerned?

    If you're running that hot I 'd get am thermaltake cpu cooler. to get you
    down to s safer level. Or if you have a floor vent in you house where you ac
    comes up through. Park your pc there. nothing wrong with some ac for the pc
    Frank Sharkey
    Stage IV Rectal Cancer Paitent
    Dx'd 10/1/05 and Plan to be here
    for a great while longer!! ;-)