    cannot tell which version it is. It won't install though. It keeps
    displaying messages like "Install Manager failed to initialize".

    I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be welcome.
    Kev, Jul 14, 2010

  2. "Kev" <> wrote in message
    news:3ir%n.247833$w51.238417@hurricane...
    >I have just installed Windows XP on a laptop that was originally made to
    >run Vista (a Dell Studio 1537). Obviously the official drivers were no
    >use, so I have had to find suitable XP versions. All of the important
    >components are now working fine, apart from the graphics card.
    >
    > The card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Unfortunately there are no XP
    > drivers for it either on the Dell site, nor on the AMD site. But after
    > some searching I found something that looks promising here:
    > http://downloadnew.org/drivers/grap...ries-driver-856300-download-110816.html#dlink
    >
    > After downloading and unzipping, this turned out to be Catalyst, although
    > I cannot tell which version it is. It won't install though. It keeps
    > displaying messages like "Install Manager failed to initialize".
    >
    > I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
    for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?

    http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp

    Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI Mobility
    Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.
    Homer Jay Simpson, Jul 15, 2010

  3. Kev

    Kev Guest

    > Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
    > for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?
    >
    > http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
    >
    > Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI
    > Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.

    Thanks. I'll try this.
    Kev, Jul 15, 2010
  4. Kev

    Kev Guest

    > Have you tried downloading the latest Catalyst Version 10.6 Display Driver
    > for Windows XP Professional from AMD's web site?
    >
    > http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx?p=xp/radeonx-xp
    >
    > Read the Release notes about AMD Mobility Product Support. The ATI
    > Mobility Radeon HD 3400 Series is listed as a supported product.

    OK, I have installed this, but what is it meant to do? There are no new
    shortcuts in the start menu and the graphics card is still not showing up in
    Device Manager.
    Kev, Jul 15, 2010
  5. Kev

    Kev Guest

    > Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off in
    > BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
    >
    > The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip or
    > card is currently active.
    >
    > The video driver install log should show that the install process detected
    > the added video card and other details, assuming it actually ran properly.
    >
    > An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
    > when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually part
    > of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
    >
    > A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

    There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.

    Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif
    Kev, Jul 20, 2010
  6. Kev

    Kev, Jul 20, 2010
  7. "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off in
    >> BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
    >>
    >> The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip
    >> or card is currently active.
    >>
    >> The video driver install log should show that the install process
    >> detected the added video card and other details, assuming it actually ran
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
    >> when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually part
    >> of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
    >>
    >> A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

    > There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.
    >
    > Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif

    You can use a free tool like Mobility Modder - ATI Version v1.2.0.0
    available here:

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

    to modify the latest Catalyst drivers to work with your laptop instead of
    waiting for Dell to release one, which they never will.
    Homer Jay Simpson, Jul 20, 2010
  8. "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >> Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off in
    >> BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
    >>
    >> The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip
    >> or card is currently active.
    >>
    >> The video driver install log should show that the install process
    >> detected the added video card and other details, assuming it actually ran
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
    >> when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually part
    >> of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
    >>
    >> A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

    > There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.
    >
    > Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
    > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif

    I don't know if you've installed the Intel GM45 Express Chipset Family
    driver, but it should resolve the PCI Device, SM Bus Controller, and Unknown
    device under Other devices.

    The driver is available at Dell's web site under Windows Vista 32-bit,
    Chipset category, for the Studio Laptop 1537. This same 32-bit driver is
    also used for Windows XP.

    Here's the link but it will most likely be split over more than one line in
    your mail/news reader so just join the lines together to get the complete
    http://support.dell.com/support/dow...dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=265073
    Homer Jay Simpson, Jul 20, 2010
  9. "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >I have just installed Windows XP on a laptop that was originally made to
    >run Vista (a Dell Studio 1537). Obviously the official drivers were no
    >use, so I have had to find suitable XP versions. All of the important
    >components are now working fine, apart from the graphics card.
    >
    > The card is an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450. Unfortunately there are no XP
    > drivers for it either on the Dell site, nor on the AMD site. But after
    > some searching I found something that looks promising here:
    > http://downloadnew.org/drivers/grap...ries-driver-856300-download-110816.html#dlink
    >
    > After downloading and unzipping, this turned out to be Catalyst, although
    > I cannot tell which version it is. It won't install though. It keeps
    > displaying messages like "Install Manager failed to initialize".
    >
    > I am not sure what to try next. Any suggestions would be welcome.

    Someone has posted a 32-bit Windows XP Drivers Package for the Dell Studio
    1537 here:

    http://www.samsware.com/Downloads/1537_XP_32_Drivers.rar
    Homer Jay Simpson, Jul 20, 2010
  10. Kev

    PhxGrunge Guest

    "Homer Jay Simpson" <> wrote in message
    > "Kev" <> wrote in message
    >>> Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off
    >>> in BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
    >>>
    >>> The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip
    >>> or card is currently active.
    >>>
    >>> The video driver install log should show that the install process
    >>> detected the added video card and other details, assuming it actually
    >>> ran properly.
    >>>
    >>> An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
    >>> when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually
    >>> part of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
    >>>
    >>> A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

    >> There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.
    >>
    >> Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
    >> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif
    >>

    > You can use a free tool like Mobility Modder - ATI Version v1.2.0.0
    > available here:
    >
    > http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php
    >
    > to modify the latest Catalyst drivers to work with your laptop instead of
    > waiting for Dell to release one, which they never will.

    Go to http:\\www.omegadrivers.net for all mobility and regular ATI drivers.

    They are already modded for mobility video cards.
    PhxGrunge, Jul 20, 2010
  11. Kev

    GMAN Guest

    In article <jhb1o.323935$Hs4.299004@hurricane>, "Kev" <> wrote:
    >> Perhaps the motherboard has built in video that needs to be turned off in
    >> BIOS? for the add on card to become active?
    >>
    >> The device manager should show something concerning whatever video chip or
    >> card is currently active.
    >>
    >> The video driver install log should show that the install process detected
    >> the added video card and other details, assuming it actually ran properly.
    >>
    >> An add on video card generally shows up as a "generic" video card/chip
    >> when the default video drivers are in use. These drivers are usually part
    >> of windows, and have Microsoft listed as the originator.
    >>
    >> A bad card may cause results similar to those you mentioned.

    >There is nothing in the BIOS to indicate the presence of built-in video.
    >
    >Here is a screenshot of Device Manager:
    >http://homepage.ntlworld.com/zeniths/misc/Screenshot_DeviceManager.gif

    The specific chipset drivers from Intel for the motherboard needs to be
    installed for one thing.

    What motherboard is it again? Or what chipset is it using?
    GMAN, Jul 20, 2010
  12. Kev

    Kev Guest

    Thanks for all the responses. I have been given plenty of ideas here.
    Unfortunately I have not had any spare time to spend on this recently.
    Hopefully next week...
    Kev, Jul 27, 2010